Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

^^

The Ravens had a major salary cap purge after the 2001 season and the following year (2002) they went 7-9...the 2000/2001 defenses had a bunch of great defensive veterans they were paying that they needed to get rid of post-2001 and they “paid” for it the following season...that 2002 team was one of the youngest teams in NFL history IIRC and they had really no other choice because of the cap..they didn’t like collapse or anything as they won the division in 2003, but that 2002 7-9 team was definitely the product of a cap purge situation 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Meh....that was more the result of giving a largely mediocre QB a long term deal, defensive stars like Reed and Lewis retiring, the downfall of Ray Rice, and some weak drafting for a few years.

I dont recall them ever having major cap issues.   Sure, they lost a couple quality players, but no more often than they usually did.

This is correct. To be a perennial contender without an elite QB you need to constantly draft and have stars at other positions and have then in their prime.

The Ravens had their run from 2008-2012 with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Marshal Yanda, and Ray Rice (in his brief peak). They surrounded the stars with good players. Post 2012 they lost the 2 first ballot HoFers and the others were all aging out of their peaks

The two biggest stars in their prime they had in the 2013-2017 era of slightly above average-ness were a Kicker and a Nose Tackle in that order. Having more cap space wouldn't have unearthed the star power they needed to be a SB contender. Heck they were way more frisky in 2014 than they should have been.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

How often do teams really fall apart due to going over the cap? The only team I can remember having really bad cap problems was the Titans in the mid-2000’s when they had to cut a bunch of dudes in their prime

They don't really fall apart so much as gradually decline. What being that tight against the cap does is just allows far less room for error when it comes to drafting. So taking the Eagles, look at their WR corp, as an example. They likely have to move on from part, if not all, of the trio of Jeffery, Jackson, and Goodwin. They have to do something there whether it's best for the roster or not. So if, as a Philly fan earlier in the thread said, their rookies pan out, at WR, they'll be fine. If they don't pan out, they still have to move on from a vet or two or three, even if their younger players aren't prepared to step up. You may have no choice but to create holes on the roster. And the lack of cap space means you can't look to free agency for any real quality fillers either. And there are several choices like this that have come up previously, and will come up in the future, due to the cap management. They'll likely be making decisions at the WR position less on ability and more on cost, which is the real effect of cap hell. Roster choices based on factors other than the best roster.

So it's typically less a matter of falling apart, and more a slow decay in roster talent if they can't draft at a borderline elite level. It never looks so dramatic as to seem like a collapse or a fall apart. But teams definitely decline due to cap issues.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

How often do teams really fall apart due to going over the cap? The only team I can remember having really bad cap problems was the Titans in the mid-2000’s when they had to cut a bunch of dudes in their prime

Meh, don’t think too many people are expecting any team to fall apart because of cap issues. 

It just makes building a quality team much more difficult, and in the Eagles’ case, is going to force them to run into real depth issues are certain areas of the team. And the only solution, due to the space constraints, is going to be the draft.

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

49ers were in "cap hell" at the end of the 90s and very early 2000s. Basically gutted the entire franchise and were essentially an expansion team 

• Like 1

I haven't seen this mentioned yet: the deadline has passed for another team to sign Markus Golden and his rights revert back to the Giants. He'll play for his 2019 salary + 10% (I think). He has until week 10 to sign the tender. 

A rare case of the May 5th tender being used, and a good move for the Giants imo.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I hope it's a good deal for San Fran. As much as I'd love to not have to deal with that team in a superbowl ever again, the better Kittle's deal is, the more likely we can keep Kelce until the end.

The number we heard a few weeks ago was 13/aav. If it's 13 I will be beyond ecstatic. I will wonder if the team had blackmail material on him because it's a steal

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That would definitely be a steal.

I find it unlikely that is the actual amount, though admittedly its in line with setting the market for the position, so I suppose its not completely out of the question. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I find it unlikely that is the actual amount, though admittedly its in line with setting the market for the position, so I suppose its not completely out of the question. 

If I'm Kittle, I want WR money.

Top of the market contracts at a given position are tied to how much it would cost to just repeatedly tag the player for a few years. The franchise number for TEs is far lower than WR and other positions, so that's the reason Kittle won't get top WR money, even though he is as valuable as a top WR.

• Like 1