The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No matter how massive the hole is at SS you are still talking about the 11th player on a stacked defense.

Our offense flat out sucks.

How many offensive players on this team are in our top 10 most talented players? 1 or 2

Mack

Hicks

Jackson

Fuller

Roquan

Goldman

Trevathan

Quinn

Robinson

Whitehair

Our team is super unbalanced in terms of talent.

I disagree. Team defense. You're as good as your weakest link. Especially at safety. Safeties that make mistakes give up TDs. 

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I don't think it's as big as you think it is. Bush is solid and again HHCD and Amos have already shown that we only need a solid replacement level player at SS.

If the team thought Bush was a solid starter at S we probably wouldn’t have signed HHCD last year. It doesn’t need to be a round 2 replacement but that wouldn’t be a bad thing either. Is Bush any more a known solid starter than Toliver? Both are at least potentially questionable IMO. Just take the best player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

I disagree. Team defense. You're as good as your weakest link. Especially at safety. Safeties that make mistakes give up TDs. 

Safeties have lower value than other spots on defense. Look at franchise tags for example, they're top performers are values at the 3rd lowest of all primary positions (ahead of only TEs and RBs). Every defensive position is rated higher.  Having a stacked front 7 makes it much easier to field average DBs, especially when the SS is the lowest priority of all the starters on the defense IMO. He basically is an undersized LB or a CB who is physical but can't be trusted with major coverage responsibilities. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Safeties have lower value than other spots on defense. Look at franchise tags for example, they're top performers are values at the 3rd lowest of all primary positions (ahead of only TEs and RBs). Every defensive position is rated higher.  Having a stacked front 7 makes it much easier to field average DBs, especially when the SS is the lowest priority of all the starters on the defense IMO. He basically is an undersized LB or a CB who is physical but can't be trusted with major coverage responsibilities. 

That's all well and good. I'm not saying let's pay a SS $25 per or trading up to #1 to get him. We need a starting caliber SS though. Bush sucks. We've seen that outside of the preseason. We also have no depth at safety either. I dont even like Bush as a backup. 

I'd understand the desire to go SS or another defensive position, but this offense is broken.... and stopping all the tds just to lose 0-3 because the offense is inept can't be allowed to happen. 

Mims is my top weapon target right now and I'd consider Claypool at 50, but OL is a massive need too and I think Jones has to be the top choice right now. 

His main issues are footwork /technique based, and our new OL coach has a rep for being crazy about drills and repetition, the perfect type to fix footwork. 

Some combination of Jones-OT then Niang-OT, or Mims-WR then Claypool-WR is my ideal right now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GOGRIESE said:

Maybe odd question but do you start Jones at guard this year and move him to tackle next year? 

I'd try him at RG and RT, if he is struggling with technique then they could keep him at RG for the year and start the transition at the end of 2020. I'd probably bite the bullet and move him immediately though. 

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think everyone who wants to draft a S first should go back and watch game 1 and 2 of last year on game pass.

Not sure if you'r saying S isn't a priority or we need to focus on QB. lol

42/72 for 348 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT.  Oooph

Edited by Sugashane

not to be a buzzkill but, this draft has to be BPA and looking some to the future,  can't see how we will even have football this season

We have 2 of the next 20 picks with a bunch of serious talent currently available. We CANNOT get caught up in  needs, esp for 20-21😒