Do you like the NFL more now, or ten years ago?

patriotsheatyan

Do you like the NFL more now, or ten years ago?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the NFL more now, or ten years ago?

• Now
    • Ten years ago

90's / 2000s. It was the attitude era of the NFL. 

However, I really enjoy football from any era. Including the Jim Brown & earlier, old school (Wild West) days of football. It is the unique quality about football, imo. The game has always been good. Contrast with rugby for example (My 2nd favourite sport) I find it incredibly hard to watch old games from pre 1995. Terrible spectacle. 

10 years ago there was still good hitting allowed by safeties and in general the game was still collisions all game. Now the nfl is more safe minded which I understand, but I still think with better equipment that the game could still have collisions. Also, the QB's are pampered too much today and the rulebook is convoluted, but was back then too.  The celebrations are lame and players always want to draw attention to themselves, more and more. And what's with these players exchanging jerseys after games with the other team? .  For an older fan like me, this doesn't bode well.

On 2020-01-15 at 5:23 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I miss the more physical style of older football. Bigger hits and less lame calls.

I think this is the majority of us, but that's gone forever now. Not as bad as NCAA targeting, but will the nfl be like that eventually?

On 2020-01-15 at 4:42 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Manning and Brees are the poster boys of not getting in it done in the postseason 

One problem I have with nfl analysts and talk shows is how they talk about the QB's too much and how they get too much recognition/blame. I don't remember it being quite that 10+ years ago.

On 2020-01-15 at 6:06 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Pre-Goodell era>>>>>>>>>>>both

goodell is the worst, I gave up on anything to do with him. MLB handles cheaters differently, more credibility in that league it seems than the goodell nfl.

Tbh I became a football fan as a coping mechanism for my parents divorce in 2004/2005 so I definitely cared more about it then and had more time for it. Now I probably know more but my interest has decreased for sure. Might have something to do with me working every Sunday lol. Or the fact that my parents don’t get divorced anymore 

Except that's not true, nothing I said was hogwash. You're hiding your intent here, so let's get to the crux of this debate with a simple question.

Do you think systemic inequality is a real thing? I certainly do, and I don't know how you couldn't believe that, but from everything you've posted I get the impression that you don't believe that it exists. The whole point of the Rooney rule is try and undo systemic inequalities in evaluating coaching talent.

2 hours ago, Hukos said:

Except that's not true, nothing I said was hogwash. You're hiding your intent here, so let's get to the crux of this debate with a simple question.

Do you think systemic inequality is a real thing? I certainly do, and I don't know how you couldn't believe that, but from everything you've posted I get the impression that you don't believe that it exists. The whole point of the Rooney rule is try and undo systemic inequalities in evaluating coaching talent.

If we're talking from the perspective of coaching experience and not skin color, the systemic inequality has been lower now than ever before.  

New York just hired New England's special teams coordinator to be their head coach.  Despite winning the Super Bowl three times with the same team, Joe Judge never had any head coaching experience in his life.  

Freddie Kitchens had the chance to move up in the Cleveland Browns organization to become their head coach (despite being fired).  Cleveland didn't try to grab a former head coach with a winning record.  

Kingsbury didn't even have any experience in the NFL prior to being hired by Arizona.  

There are a ton of ball clubs in the NFL right now that have consistently proven that they'll just take anybody.  

This is exactly why the Rooney rule is about skin color.  These examples I just gave prove that.  

Even in coordinator and associate positions within the coaching staffs around the league can you find a small percentage of minority coaches.  

Don't really know how anybody changes something like that anytime soon.  These organizations will simply take who they want.  

On 1/15/2020 at 6:58 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

Anything is better than what we have right now.  

They have honestly ruined the game from all aspects.  

Extreme measures to protect the QB

Multiple perspectives to determine what is and what's not a catch

Proselytizing the need for more coaching diversity around the league.  

National anthem controversy 

Players retiring too early

Ridiculous amounts of money wasted in player contracts  

A lot of these problems weren't even existent as recent as 10 years ago, but football will never be what it was when the boomers were growing up.  

I envy those past generations that got to see what football was meant to be.  

Extreme measures to protect the QB  

Hell Ya. Ruined the game. Do I want to see head shots no or cheap shots at the knees no. But this running out of the pocket or landing on him or brushing his head with a hand is ridiculous. You cross the scrimmage line you are no longer a QB.  The sidelines games QB plays are frustrating you can't hit him but he can fake going out but turn up the field. Sucks.

Edited by m haynes

Ten years ago the Jets were actually good (2 straight AFCGG appearances) , had a potential franchise QB and looked poised to finally topple the Patriots.

Fast forward, It turned into a decade of suck and the Patriots kept rolling. 

Ill take right now, since, maybe this time someone will actually supplant NE.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:23 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I miss the more physical style of older football. Bigger hits and less lame calls.

Yep, and you don't even have to go far so it's not some boomer thing. Probably my favorite games ever are the Steelers/Ravens series from 2008-2012 and they were total slugfests without being dirty. Says something that I enjoyed watching a game more even in like 08/09 even if my team was absolutely awful. 

Edited by Dodo