Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

Just now, minutemancl said:

I'd bet really good money on a QB being taken top-12. I'm telling you, just wait until after the Senior Bowl. Now, all bets are off if those 4 guys just absolutely flounder, but I could see a team falling in love with one of them and taking him early. Scouts and GMs go nuts for the Senior Bowl. Do we know who is coaching it yet?

Not yet.  Jags will have a new coaching staff so that eliminates them I believe.  Right now, I think it'll be Detroit and Houston unless Houston moves on from Culley already.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:02 AM, CWood21 said:

Not yet.  Jags will have a new coaching staff so that eliminates them I believe.  Right now, I think it'll be Detroit and Houston unless Houston moves on from Culley already.

Detroit feels like a lock.

I wonder if previous experience means anything. The Jets staff that came from the niners coached in mobile in 2019, so I'm not sure if that helps, hurts or doesn't matter 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be paying very, very close attention to who the QBs are on Detroit's Senior Bowl coached team and any potential 'trades' in that area (Jim Nagy alluded to this the other day). To me, I feel like Kenny Pickett is a guy Dan Campbell could fall in love with. Big arm, smart kid, and very tough.

I still maintain that the QBs are going to make all these current mock drafts way wrong very quickly.

Also, I have a feeling Bailey Zappe wins Senior Bowl MVP. He'll have a Kyle Lauletta-like performance.

On 1/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I feel like Karlaftis has been under-hyped, but I don't know if I have him at #3 overall.

I don't think people are ready for how well Karlaftis is going to test at the combine. His tape combined with the numbers he is going to put up could very well move him ahead of Hutchinson.

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I don't think people are ready for how well Karlaftis is going to test at the combine. His tape combined with the numbers he is going to put up could very well move him ahead of Hutchinson.

I don't think he can jump Hutch.  I think Hutch is all but a top 2 locked at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think he can jump Hutch.  I think Hutch is all but a top 2 locked at this point.

I can think of several scenarios where he falls out of the top-2. If the Jags go OL with Neal or Ekwonu, the Lions may take the better pass rusher in Thibodeux. If the Jags go Thibodeux, or regardless of who they take really, the Lions may fall in love with one of these QBs and take them at 2.

Hutch getting taken by the Lions at 2 though is a pretty sweet prospect. I like the idea of him staying Michigan.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I can think of several scenarios where he falls out of the top-2. If the Jags go OL with Neal or Ekwonu, the Lions may take the better pass rusher in Thibodeux. If the Jags go Thibodeux, or regardless of who they take really, the Lions may fall in love with one of these QBs and take them at 2.

Hutch getting taken by the Lions at 2 though is a pretty sweet prospect. I like the idea of him staying Michigan.

I meant as far as prospects go.  Realistically speaking, I can't see him falling out of the top 5.  Let's say Neal (or the NC State OT) go #1 and the Lions opt for Thib at 2, how far do you think he would fall?  Not sure the Jets or Giants would even hesitate to take him.  Houston might take him even if they don't "need" him.

• 2 weeks later...

Pittsburgh Steelers HC Mike Tomlin and GM Colbert have met with Malik Willis and his parent at the Senior bowl.  This, almost always, signals interest for a 1st round pick from the Steelers for Tomlin's entire time with the Steelers.  I expect Tomlin to meet with several others so there will be a small list to guess from for the Steeler's 1st round pick.