Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

March 23rd notes from Tony Pauline:

As I was exiting the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba was meeting with the receiver-needy Houston Texans. Everything I’ve heard this week leads me to believe the Texans will draft a receiver with their second pick in the first round (12th overall). Right now, it seems that
pick has come down to either Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Jordan Addison.

Several teams came away from Ohio State’s Pro Day with even more affection for center Luke Wypler — two in particular: the Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals.

Last week, during my write-up on the Minnesota Pro Day, I mentioned the Bills had Gophers center John Michael Schmitz rated highly. This week it’s Wypler — another Big Ten center. If nothing else, this confirms my posting last week that the Bills will be looking for a center as Mitch Morse closes out his career.

I was told outright at the end of the pro day that the Cardinals will draft Wypler, and it makes sense. Presently, Hjalte Froholdt is listed as Arizona’s starting center — his fourth team since 2019. The Cardinals own a pair of picks in the third round and could use one to select the OSU center.

39 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

March 23rd notes from Tony Pauline:

As I was exiting the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba was meeting with the receiver-needy Houston Texans. Everything I’ve heard this week leads me to believe the Texans will draft a receiver with their second pick in the first round (12th overall). Right now, it seems that
pick has come down to either Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Jordan Addison.

Several teams came away from Ohio State’s Pro Day with even more affection for center Luke Wypler — two in particular: the Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals.

Last week, during my write-up on the Minnesota Pro Day, I mentioned the Bills had Gophers center John Michael Schmitz rated highly. This week it’s Wypler — another Big Ten center. If nothing else, this confirms my posting last week that the Bills will be looking for a center as Mitch Morse closes out his career.

I was told outright at the end of the pro day that the Cardinals will draft Wypler, and it makes sense. Presently, Hjalte Froholdt is listed as Arizona’s starting center — his fourth team since 2019. The Cardinals own a pair of picks in the third round and could use one to select the OSU center.

I won't be shocked if Schmitz goes in the 35-50 range, and Wypler in the 50-63 range.  If the Cardinals wait until rd 3, it might be too late.  Centers tend to go higher than where they are ranked on big board rankings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I won't be shocked if Schmitz goes in the 35-50 range, and Wypler in the 50-63 range.  If the Cardinals wait until rd 3, it might be too late.  Centers tend to go higher than where they are ranked on big board rankings.

Especially this draft. Looking at the class and FA trends, I think the league is doubling down on fortifying the trenches (more so than usual).

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

No shot.. @ET80

I’ve had this sitting in the back of my mind for a few months - whether or not there’s any truth to it is beyond me. This being said, I like to think professionals of this magnitude can compartmentalize any bad feelings wrought on by a guy who is no longer with the organization.

All being equal - if Bryce goes 1.1, I’m not completely certain that Will Anderson wouldn’t be the pick.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’ve had this sitting in the back of my mind for a few months - whether or not there’s any truth to it is beyond me. This being said, I like to think professionals of this magnitude can compartmentalize any bad feelings wrought on by a guy who is no longer with the organization.

All being equal - if Bryce goes 1.1, I’m not completely certain that Will Anderson wouldn’t be the pick.

But what about the fabled Anderson at 2 and then trade up from 12 for #3?

21 minutes ago, General Tso said:

But what about the fabled Anderson at 2 and then trade up from 12 for #3?

I think the spot is actually 5 - at that point, the Texans are comfortable with Will Levis/Anthony Richardson, or they wait until 2.2 (or trade to 1.18 - 1.25 or so) to pick up Hendon Hooker.

For the record…

- I could “slightly tolerate” Richardson.

- I would need to “trust the process” on Hooker.

- I absolutely have to “self-medicate” with Levis.

• Like 2