What would Dalvin Cook be worth in a trade?

Uncle Buck

What is Dalvin Cook's trade value?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is Dalvin Cook's trade value?

• 1st Round Pick
    • 2nd Round Pick
    • 3rd Round Pick
    • 4th Round Pick or Less

I've been thinking that it's time for the Vikings to try and move up for a QB in the next year or two.  Cousins is ok, but just isn't going to get the job done.  After seeing what Dalvin Cook did rushing the ball for the Vikings, what would you be willing to give up for him if your team needed a running back?

Cook is good, but decent RBs are too easy to find, and they are hugely reliant on other factors for success.   

In todays league, I would never give up a top 50 pick for a RB, elite or not.

Dalvin Cook...early 3rd.  Im not saying he isnt worth more in general....but thats all I would give up for him.  Not elite, and while Id like to have him, I dont think he would fare well behind our current run blocking.

You're not nearly going to get back in return, what he means for the Vikings offense. The position is Crap when it comes to trade value. While he's absolutely better then probably any RB coming out in the 2020 Draft, the Vikings would be hard pressed to get a 1st rd pick for him. Just the reality of the NFL and the current position value.

Not saying some idiot wouldn't pay the price, but it's unlikely!!!!

• Like 2

Dalvin Cook is a very good RB. He's also not worth that much. I'd consider a 4th round pick to be paying a premium to get him - the absolute maximum I would give. Running Backs need so much around them to be successful (good o-line, good passing game, positive game scripts in his offense's favor which usually means a good defense, etc.). These are all variables that Running Backs just can't control on their own, thus they aren't worth much.

Running Back is the one position on offense that completely disappears in a negative game script, and that alone makes it hard to justify paying a lot for one.

Instead of moving up for a QB by trading away one of your best offensive weapons I would suggest you improve your OL.  With a good line Cousins would be fine (like most QBs he can't perform getting sacked all the time) and Cook would be more dangerous.  Of course as a Packers' fan I don't want your team to do any of this.  ;)

Edited by Pugger

Personally I feel like the price it would take to get it done, probably including an extension with the trade, is going to be higher than I would consider. Between positional value and injury history, I wouldn't go higher than a mid-late second, preferably a third. I think it would take an early 2 or better if they were going to actually consider trading him.

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's worth more to the Vikings then what they'd get in return for him

Exactly. For the Vikings, he's a three down RB who is very capable in the passing game and a cornerstone of the offense. Anywhere else, he's a guy with two torn ACLs and a guy with more milage than any RB in the draft. If the asking price was a 2nd round pick... I'd pass on trading for Cook and just draft a RB with the pick.

You're more likely to get adequate value from one of the two WRs you've got. 

• Like 1

I personally feel a 3rd is about right for him. It doesn't matter how talented he is if he isn't available and his injury history has been pretty scary since coming into the league. I mean so much so that Alexander Mattison was getting over-drafted because people expected a Dalvin Cook injury. Talented when on the field but eventually especially as an RB those will catch up with him sooner as opposed to later. 

To me though, I wouldn't draft a QB before I fixed the offensive line or made some investments into it. Job is hard enough coming in Day 1 to make an impact let alone doing it while running for your life the entire game.

Edited by Nick_gb

I could see a team spending a Late second/early third on him. He has talent and production, but unfortunately, he also is that much closer to FA and you can draft/sign RBs that can be fairly effective that don't cost much, as long as you have a decent o line.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

I would suggest you improve your OL.

The easiest way to turn a loser to a winner. It amazes me how so many teams do everything but!  Take a look at the Pats this year. Even with the GOAT they had no chance. OL sucked. Another EX. Browns OL sucked. NY sucked.

PS Sony looked like a HS kid without OL

Edited by m haynes

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

Instead of moving up for a QB by trading away one of your best offensive weapons I would suggest you improve your OL.  With a good line Cousins would be fine (like most QBs he can't perform getting sacked all the time) and Cook would be more dangerous.  Of course as a Packers' fan I don't want your team to do any of this.  ;)

Good o-line play is pretty hard to come by in the modern NFL - there's a reason teams are starting to just say "screw it" with building a line and just getting a mobile QB who can offset that kind of deficiency.