2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m still just flabbergasted about Buckner.  That one just makes no sense to me from the Niners perspective.  Only 25 years old, elite in player...

got pick 13 in the draft, indy was offering 20M+ to buckner, so they knew they couldn't afford him next year.  Chose to go with armstead and the 13 pick rather than lose out on 1 extra guy plus armstead.

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

got pick 13 in the draft, indy was offering 20M+ to buckner, so they knew they couldn't afford him next year.  Chose to go with armstead and the 13 pick rather than lose out on 1 extra guy plus armstead.

It makes sense if you weren’t a play away from winning the Super Bowl.  

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Ah, Vitale.  Yeah hopefully he's not on the roster this coming season.

I dont know. I kept waiting for (either....) them to actually use the guy - or - the light go on so he could contribute. I've no clue why, but he didnt do much last year. What do I expect this year? No idea.

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I actually like Sternberger more than most, but the thought of throwing him in at TE1 next year is giving me terrible anxiety.  

The issue we run into is that Lafleur loves him some 22 sets.

We all saw Sternberger put Vitale on the bench last year in that lead blocker role,  but we're all hoping he's going to take the next step and be the play action target.  Can't be both. Tonyan hasn't really played the lead blocker role,  and Lewis belongs on the perimeter blocking for the edge.  

That almost necessitates a lead blocker unless we believe in Tonyan in that role.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The issue we run into is that Lafleur loves him some 22 sets.

We all saw Sternberger put Vitale on the bench last year in that lead blocker role,  but we're all hoping he's going to take the next step and be the play action target.  Can't be both. Tonyan hasn't really played the lead blocker role,  and Lewis belongs on the perimeter blocking for the edge.  

That almost necessitates a lead blocker unless we believe in Tonyan in that role.

Great point.  Honestly I do like Vitale, he's not much as a blocker but at least if you do throw the ball to him he can hurt the defense a little.