Raiders Officially known as the "Las Vegas Raiders"

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

That's exactly the reasoning behind why they cut of the "Las" for the hockey team. Some words just sound better with the Las or just Vegas.

Vegas is slang. Las Vegas is the actual town - which comes to play with the full range of marketing items and I'm sure the town and companies associating themselves with the team appreciate the full town/name. I dont know them all but cant think of any professional team with a four word title such as Las Vegas Golden Knights. Which is probably why they went with Vegas Golden Knights. As noted in my previous comment, there's lots of three word names - such as Las Vegas Raiders.

I was listening to NBA hall of famer Gary Payton talk about this.  Just as a point of reference, he's from Oakland.  He essentially said he no longer cares about the Raiders anymore.  He said 'they' keep trying to take teams out of Oakland - the Golden State Warriors just got moved out of Oakland to their new arena in San Francisco.

I wonder how many people from Oakland share his point of view.

15 minutes ago, showtime said:

I was listening to NBA hall of famer Gary Payton talk about this.  Just as a point of reference, he's from Oakland.  He essentially said he no longer cares about the Raiders anymore.  He said 'they' keep trying to take teams out of Oakland - the Golden State Warriors just got moved out of Oakland to their new arena in San Francisco.

I wonder how many people from Oakland share his point of view.

Not many. Most people I know in the east bay region agree it's for the better good, and hate on Oakland the city for being corrupt. They will all still be Raider fans.

Even the A's are discussing leaving. When you lose two sports team, and the third one isn't happy, obviously it's the city. And the people who aren't stupid understand that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not many. Most people I know in the east bay region agree it's for the better good, and hate on Oakland the city for being corrupt. They will all still be Raider fans.

Even the A's are discussing leaving. When you lose two sports team, and the third one isn't happy, obviously it's the city. And the people who aren't stupid understand that.

Why is the city at fault? Genuinely curious.

Oakland doesn't seem to be a city with spare funds to direct taxpayer dollars to a frivolity like professional football(not that ANY municipality should be using taxpayer funds to subsidize the private businesses of billionaires).

• Like 1

Just now, DigInBoys said:

Why is the city at fault? Genuinely curious.

Oakland doesn't seem to be a city with spare funds to direct taxpayer dollars to a frivolity like professional football(not that ANY municipality should be using taxpayer funds to subsidize the private businesses of billionaires).

Oakland is full of corrupt politicians and tries to squeeze every dollar they can out of the sports teams. Rents go massively up every year. They have had lawsuits against the A’s and Raiders on numerous occasions over petty things. It’s toxic. 

Also, why would any team want to play in a 60+ year old facility that hardly works? If the city doesn’t wanna pitch in anything, they are more than welcome to relocate with cause. I wouldn’t want any of my teams playing in such a run down environment with zero renovations and tons of things broken. I’d much rather them relocate with a brand new stadium. 

And it’s not like the Rams move. Vegas is an eight hour drive from Oakland and one state away. If the Raiders moved to San Antonio I would of had an issue with that for sure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I appreciate that the people of Las Vegas finally get their own NFL team, but they got the wrong one.  As much as I love that Fallout game, so "Vegas Raiders" sounds right to me, hardly anyone in LA cares about the Chargers.

Other than San Diego there’s no where they could go for people to care about the Chargers.  

Had the Chargers been the new Vegas team it would’ve been a huge buzzkill for the league.