General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

22 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Man, Peter King sounds extremely high on Jalen Hurd, thinking he saw OROY based on what Jalen did at camp. Im not saying Peter King knows all, but just the fact that he knows talent, and to come away with that impression is very positive

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/136532-peter-49ers-jalen-would-offensive-rookie-before-injury/

Absolutely Hurd is the X factor in how good this offense can be next yr. I was high on him last yr when we drafted him and still how on him now. Hopefully this injury is past him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sherm said:

Absolutely Hurd is the X factor in how good this offense can be next yr. I was high on him last yr when we drafted him and still how on him now. Hopefully this injury is past him. 

I'd say a little of him and a little of Pettis. If either of these two break out in 2020, this offense is impossible to defend.

I am a huge unabashed Hurd homer. I think he has the potential to be the best receiver on this team. I worry about his downfield skills a little bit, but I think for a guy who just transitioned to the position, he shows skills way beyond his years. Not to mention he is just a beast rac guy. I think his floor is Cordarrelle Patterson, toolsy, all around dangerous player but maybe never touches upon his potential. I think his ceiling is closer to someone like Dez Bryant or a more athletic Boldin. 

I just loved his tape in college and I think if he's someone that we scheme open, he is going to put up numbers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

I am a huge unabashed Hurd homer. I think he has the potential to be the best receiver on this team. I worry about his downfield skills a little bit, but I think for a guy who just transitioned to the position, he shows skills way beyond his years. Not to mention he is just a beast rac guy. I think his floor is Cordarrelle Patterson, toolsy, all around dangerous player but maybe never touches upon his potential. I think his ceiling is closer to someone like Dez Bryant or a more athletic Boldin. 

I just loved his tape in college and I think if he's someone that we scheme open, he is going to put up numbers. 

Im with you, I had very high hopes especially considering his skill set, he just offers something we don't have on the team and a mixture of skills that translates. That being said, his back injury worries the hell outta me.....like......i'm not 100% sure we will ever see him on the field, or his is injured early on. Back injuries are nothing to be taken lightly and considering he is looked at as a WR/TE/RB, thats putting him in a lot of dangerous positions.

8 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Im with you, I had very high hopes especially considering his skill set, he just offers something we don't have on the team and a mixture of skills that translates. That being said, his back injury worries the hell outta me.....like......i'm not 100% sure we will ever see him on the field, or his is injured early on. Back injuries are nothing to be taken lightly and considering he is looked at as a WR/TE/RB, thats putting him in a lot of dangerous positions.

Agreed, that’s my only concern as well, is the injury. I would imagine we will find out right away during training camp if he can take a hit or will be riddled with issues (hopefully not). Time will tell

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Damn we have three recievers who are going to be elite at doing this. 

This is why I am super optimistic/excited about the WR group, when you have Deebo, Aiyuk and Bourne as ur top 3 (probably), then you add the POTENTIAL of Taylor, Pettis and Hurd???? IF....and I say IF, we can stay healthy, we have a very potent/young WR group that will be here for years. Im not even sure that Bourne will see the field much if the rest of these guys get healthy and put it together. I didnt even mention Jennings or James to that!!! 

....and yes, I sound like a HOMER, but im fine with it!

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 3

On 2020-04-27 at 12:03 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

How would you guys rank our top 5 players heading into next season?

1. Kittle

2. Bosa

3. Williams

4. Armstead

5. Jimmy G

HM: Warner, Sherman, Ward, Juice, Deebo

Seeing how the running game dipped when we lost Kittle and Juice, I feel like Juice is a top 5 player on this team. Top 5 most important. And he's the best player in the league at his position. 

Kittle

Bosa

Williams

Juice

and #5... considering the progression over the last two years : Fred Warner.

14 hours ago, P_locniners said:

This is why I am super optimistic/excited about the WR group, when you have Deebo, Aiyuk and Bourne as ur top 3 (probably), then you add the POTENTIAL of Taylor, Pettis and Hurd???? IF....and I say IF, we can stay healthy, we have a very potent/young WR group that will be here for years. Im not even sure that Bourne will see the field much if the rest of these guys get healthy and put it together. I didnt even mention Jennings or James to that!!! 

....and yes, I sound like a HOMER, but im fine with it!

I truly felt like the staff could have not drafted a WR in the first at all this year, and been hopeful the players we already have would be good enough, with the return of Trent and Jalen. And just having Bourne and Deebo as the starters until someone else shows up. I think drafting Aiyuk is the staff hedging their bets. They don't want to have to trade for a veteran receiver mid-season to save the offense. They want to have enough weapons to weather any storm. We didn't have that last year. Trent and Jalen went down, Bourne and Deebo weren't far along in their development, and Dante just shat the bed. Now we're a little more reliant on Deebo and Bourne, as they developed more, and we're counting on one or several of Aiyuk, Pettis, Hurd, Taylor, Benjamin, James and Jennings to produce. We have several guys with superstar potential. It would be so much fun to see one of these guys explode.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/5/1/21244486/49ers-sign-rb-salvon-ahmed-to-a-three-year-deal

49ers have signed Salvon Ahmed to a 3-year deal. 

This seems a bit....premature? They must really love this kid.

Nah, that's a standard UDFA deal, it just wasn't announced with the others. Hasty also got a 3 year deal, Mullens' contract was a three year deal when he was a UDFA, etc. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Nah, that's a standard UDFA deal, it just wasn't announced with the others. Hasty also got a 3 year deal, Mullens' contract was a three year deal when he was a UDFA, etc. 

Ahh, ok. I didn’t realize a 3 year deal was a normal Udfa contract. Good to know.