2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

In all honesty it makes a ton of sense to sign Warrford and cut Winters. Cutting winters saves 7mill and just give that 7mill (and more) to a guy that actually deserves it. He’s still only 28 and has good football ahead of him. Immediately is the starting RG for us and solidifies GVR at LG where he’s better.

LT: Becton or Fant

LG: GVR

C: McGovern

RG: Wartford

RT: Becton or Fant

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

In all honesty it makes a ton of sense to sign Warrford and cut Winters. Cutting winters saves 7mill and just give that 7mill (and more) to a guy that actually deserves it. He’s still only 28 and has good football ahead of him. Immediately is the starting RG for us and solidifies GVR at LG where he’s better.

LT: Becton or Fant

LG: GVR

C: McGovern

RG: Wartford

RT: Becton or Fant

According to some Saints fans Warford is poor in space. I don’t think he’s an ideal fit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We should hold on to our cap room for a rollover next year. The cap might be significantly lower if fans aren’t in attendance. 

Hence Jamal Adams' senselessly talk about contract.   Oh Lord!

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

According to some Saints fans Warford is poor in space. I don’t think he’s an ideal fit. 

Yeah he is slow and loses some athleticism but it is his mauling ability and blocking IQ that interest me.  I would pair him with Becton on right side because Becton's wingspan may cover some area Warford wouldn't cover on prompt.

Also,  improving the interior strength for run game could help Bell more useful for Jets or more value for other team (via trade). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

What is the latest news on Larry Warford,  This player could be a huge help. I am still not sold 100% on our current O Line 

If that's the case.. Swapping Winters for Walford seems like a no brainer. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Yeah even if you wanna say Warford isnt a great scheme fit, its not like Winters is some athletic marvel.  

I think this trade off is a no brainer

It’s talent at that point. And he’s a good talent at a position we can upgrade from. The issue I think might be... why would he want to join us?

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s talent at that point. And he’s a good talent at a position we can upgrade from. The issue I think might be... why would he want to join us?

I think the only  teams ive heard linked are Cleveland and Cincy, so not exactly better franchises than the Jets.  Plus its also hard to say why any guy chooses a specific team unless you are that guy, you know maybe he is close friends with Avery Williamson since they played at UK together, maybe he hits it off real well with Joe Douglas, maybe he gets excited to play for a NY franchise, still a lot of prestige their for certain guys.

As of now the Jets havent even been linked too him, but if we dont sign him I dont think the reason will be the Jets were too much of a bottom feeder for him to play for.

4 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

I think the only  teams ive heard linked are Cleveland and Cincy, so not exactly better franchises than the Jets.  Plus its also hard to say why any guy chooses a specific team unless you are that guy, you know maybe he is close friends with Avery Williamson since they played at UK together, maybe he hits it off real well with Joe Douglas, maybe he gets excited to play for a NY franchise, still a lot of prestige their for certain guys.

As of now the Jets havent even been linked too him, but if we dont sign him I dont think the reason will be the Jets were too much of a bottom feeder for him to play for.

Another explanation I've seen floating around twitter: The Johnson's could have a money "problem" (Relatively speaking of course)..

Manish put out rumors earlier in the offseason that the Jets reportedly told free agents they were strapped for cash. Sounds far fetched (Especially considering the source), but keep in mind the Johnson's are still on the hook for both Bowles/Maccagnan through 2020. Not to mention, the nearly $200mil spent last offseason - Most notably, the high guaranteed $$ to Bell/Mosley. In theory, you cut Winter's and allocate the cap space towards Warford.. But if these rumors held any weight, it wouldn't just be an issue of cap space. Warford is probably looking to secure a multi-year deal and the Johnson's could be reluctant to sign the check.

I don't know how much I buy into this btw. You'd think the decision to flip Winters into Warford would be a no brainer, assuming the cap hit is comparable. So..If it turns out we didn't even show interest, then maybe the story has some legs to it.