1. 1. Who Trades up for Tua?

• Miami
    • LA Chargers
    • Carolina
    • LV Raiders
    • Indy
    • Other

3 hours ago, showtime said:

I don't get why people always ask if someone should or will trade up.  However, people rarely ask whether the Lions should take him.  Tua probably won't be able to play the first year anyway.  If the Lions draft him, he can sit on the bench behind Stafford for a year and then he can move into the starting QB of the future.  Stafford is 32 right now, so not all that old, but he would be replaced by Tua when he's 33 or 34.

Unless the Lions really think they have a legit chance to make the playoffs and they need an impact player from day one, I would take Tua.

Lions are not taking Tua. Stafford still has a good 5 years left. Matthew Berry from ESPN said his Lions source said there is "no chance" Lions will take Tua.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Haskins and Jones showed nothing (to me) of being able to break that Upper Half Top 16 QB Rankings. Without that, you are always expendable. Always. I was not big on any of three coming out of college and have done quite the writeups on all three. With a year of hindsight, Lock showed some intense flashes. And imagine another WR opposite of Sutton. Still not sold on Lock by any means but the talent is there, especially the arm, and he’s more accurate than a guy like Josh Allen. Haskins arm was ridiculously overrated going into the draft, his sideline and deep ball accuracy were bad (middle of the field $$$ though), his velocity is not good which is why I predicted him to be a consistent double digit INT guy, his mobility is horrible especially his escape ability, his pocket presence is average, and his ability under pressure is below average. Obviously these are my opinions, but I’ve had them since pre-draft, and I still have them. 

What exactly did you expect to see out of Haskins? He was drafted to a team with a coach who didn’t want him and refused to let him practice with the actual team who then eventually got himself fired because the team started off so horribly. He was then coached by a guy who thought it was 1956 and ran the ball 60 times a game. His top receivers were 3rd round ,6th round and undrafted players (all rookies). His left tackle decided to sit the entire season out and his top TE is named after a cupcake topping. I know I know, he really should’ve tore it up throwing it to Hale Hentges and handing it off to a 35-year old RB. 

Even with all of that working against him he still managed to throw 5 TDs to 1 interception over his last three games. Two of those games he had over a 120 passer rating and had 65+% completions. Maybe that’s not impressive to you but considering the absolutely horrible circumstances surrounding him I think he showed real promised as the season went on. 

I won’t even speak much on Jones but the fact he showed you nothing during his rookie season absolutely blows my mind. The dude had a 5 TD game lol. 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, BZski said:

I am going off the Darnold trade where Jets gave up #6, and 3 second rd picks. I think Tua is a better prospect but has some injury concerns so the package should be about the same as Darnold.

Why? Its embarrassing watching a Chargers "Home" game. You guys need butt's in seats and Tyrod Taylor or any of the other QBs in the draft are not going to do it. Tua to LAC makes too much sense for them not to go all in for him.

Because it's not a lack of QB or exciting QB that's failing to drive crowds.  You could give Dean Spanos the Greatest Show on Turf and he wouldn't know how to effectively market them moving into a new market (and would still be so lacking in actual liquidity that he'd need the season ticket money as quickly as possible - which is often easily solved by selling indiscriminately, whether that's to actual people or resale agencies - so he can continue to pay what he owes in relocation fees to the league).

Sorry, man, but people are right to call you out, as a Lions fan, for over-projecting the return value to benefit the team you're a fan of.

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What exactly did you expect to see out of Haskins? He was drafted to a team with a coach who didn’t want him and refused to let him practice with the actual team who then eventually got himself fired because the team started off so horribly. He was then coached by a guy who thought it was 1956 and ran the ball 60 times a game. His top receivers were 3rd round ,6th round and undrafted players (all rookies). His left tackle decided to sit the entire season out and his top TE is named after a cupcake topping. I know I know, he really should’ve tore it up throwing it to Hale Hentges and handing it off to a 35-year old RB. 

Even with all of that working against him he still managed to throw 5 TDs to 1 interception over his last three games. Two of those games he had over a 120 passer rating and had 65+% completions. Maybe that’s not impressive to you but considering the absolutely horrible circumstances surrounding him I think he showed real promised as the season went on. 

I won’t even speak much on Jones but the fact he showed you nothing during his rookie season absolutely blows my mind. The dude had a 5 TD game lol. 

Great post. I wasn't a Haskins fan coming out, but the guy was dealt the worst cards last year. Urban Meyer said he needed to sit a year and Washington through him to the wolves. 

And anyone who showed Jones nothing was simply looking for reasons to fit some pre-draft narrative. 

• Like 1

All you heard in 2019 is how impressive the 2020 class of QBs is gonna be. I'm not all that impressed to be totally honest.

Burrow and Murray are similar that they had one big year of production. Both were very good prospects.

Daniel Jones was a much safer prospect than Tua is. DJ had a coller bone injury in college but nothing like tuas injuries.

Dwayne Haskins is a similar prospect to Herbert in the sense that there's a ton of projection rather than sure thing.

Drew Lock was a very good prospect for the second round had footwork issues which he looked to correct also doesn't drift back in the pocket anymore. I think he's got top 10 ceiling ability.

I just think 2019 is better and it's not really that close.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm not only concerned about Tua and injuries anyone concerned he had 3 first round wrs to throw too? That's pretty good weapon's lol.

People blow this so out of proportion and will regret it. Tua has been the most accurate tight window thrower in PFF grading history for a two season stretch. Above Lawrence. Above everyone. His accuracy is elite level good and he can put the ball anywhere, in any window. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

People blow this so out of proportion and will regret it. Tua has been the most accurate tight window thrower in PFF grading history for a two season stretch. Above Lawrence. Above everyone. His accuracy is elite level good and he can put the ball anywhere, in any window. 

So when Raider fans use PFF's stats as a metric in support of Derek Carr, you call PFF "useless". But when it's helpful in your narrative for Tua you decide to lean on it? Can't have it both ways. #pancakes

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So when Raider fans use PFF's stats as a metric in support of Derek Carr, you call PFF "useless". But when it's helpful in your narrative for Tua you decide to lean on it? Can't have it both ways. #pancakes

This isn't my biggest pet peeve, but it's up there. You either buy into PFF, or you don't... especially when you're talking about same positions such as QB to QB. I can get how you can like OL rankings but not QB rankings, but QB to QB should be all or nothing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Their rankings and grades are utterly useless and completely subjective. Also there made up stats like “Big Time Throws” and “Negative Graded Throws” are purely subjective. 

Some of there stats are factual based such as Pressures and Throwing into Tight Windows. 

It’s not one size fits all. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Maybe.  I haven’t really watched him play much.  But a lot of stats lack context.  The point of his WRs being really good is valid.  Tua played for most talented team.  That is context.    

That means 1) have real confidence his guy would win any 50/50 battle.  2) Presumably his guys were usually more open.  3) Was seldom playing with fear or nervousness of losing the game. 4) Had a running game.  5) Had protection.  6) Could rely on his defense. 7) Was seldom criticized.  

Think all that will be true nearly as often in NFL?  

Not saying he isn’t good.  But playing on a stacked team can inflate the way a QB looks.  

Injury concern is real as well.