1. 1. Player of the Game?

• Rodgers
    • Perry
    • King
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Davante Adams
    • Is anybody else even healthy?

6 minutes ago, LargeFarva said:

HaHa had two of the more pathetic tackling attempts I've seen. Both on the first drive.

GIF

GIF

Hope he starts playing better soon.

Agree.  BUt sometimes you need to give credit to the other players for making good plays.  They are Pros and get paid as well.  BOth of those are pretty high level players as well.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Those are still both laughable

Laughable yes, but missed tackles are something that will happen.   Expecially in the open field against the AJ Green's and Mixon's of the league.  Certainly want better tackling, but no one is 100% 

56 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Laughable yes, but missed tackles are something that will happen.   Expecially in the open field against the AJ Green's and Mixon's of the league.  Certainly want better tackling, but no one is 100% 

yeah but it's not like he did a decent job but they did a better one. He came flying in, didn't break down or keep vision on the hips, just stuck out his arms as he flew by. It's high school level stuff that he's missing on there.

15 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

yeah but it's not like he did a decent job but they did a better one. He came flying in, didn't break down or keep vision on the hips, just stuck out his arms as he flew by. It's high school level stuff that he's missing on there.

Yeah if he gets juked then fine. But it was just poor without them really doing much.

I'm pumping the breaks on the Josh Jones excitement. The guy was beastly but I'm wondering how OCs will adapt once they have some tape on him. Still it was a promising day.

I cant say I've been watching the DL too closely. Anybody have a look at how Clark and Lowry looked? I really felt (maybe hoped?) that's Clark was gonna be in for a big jump this year.

5 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

I'm pumping the breaks on the Josh Jones excitement. The guy was beastly but I'm wondering how OCs will adapt once they have some tape on him. Still it was a promising day.

I cant say I've been watching the DL too closely. Anybody have a look at how Clark and Lowry looked? I really felt (maybe hoped?) that's Clark was gonna be in for a big jump this year.

Clark's been really solid. He's evolving into a really nice BIG for us.

Lowry has been disappointing. Not really showing a whole lot. 

Doing a slow rewatch, not sure where to post but forum seems tidy so I'll just do it in the game thread. Feedback welcome as I'm far from an expert even though I like to pretend to be so I can maybe learn something.

OPI or a lucky accident?

Q1, 0:52. 3rd and 7. Pass to MIXON for first down, flag for OPI picked up.

"52 and 48" yells Dalton pre-snap, while staring down LaFell (#11) who is motion. Dalton correctly diagnoses man coverage based on Randall following LaFell.

I know usually the number the QB yells is the "Mike" to indicate what blocking assignments are, but I don't think I've ever heard a 2nd number called.

I think the first number here, "52", is indeed the normal "mike" blocking assignment, but the second number, "48" is a signal to LaFell that this is his blocking assignment- Thomas the man covering the RB based on his pre-snap alignment if he is correct that the Packers are in man coverage. If LaFell can block Mixon while the other left WR runs off coverage Mixon will be wide open for an easy first down with only the high safety to beat.

LaFell is a cagey veteran and so he executes his "route" well- running right into "48" (Thomas). He does this so well that even Romo seems to believe this was a legit route with a lucky accident leading to a first down. However watch LaFell during the entire presnap routine. Specifically his head. He is locked on Thomas and knows that is his objective.

This was a well-sold pick play. The lesson I take is not that teams don't run pick plays, or shouldn't run pick plays, but rather that the key is selling the "route" that the picking receiver runs well. If you do that you can fool even an NFL QB who is watching without the benefit of replay CSI. If you can do that, what hope do the refs have?

Edited by Acrid Josher
  • Like 3

Q1, 7:13

Nice little  defensive stop that shows the nitro package working.

Bengals run power to the right and have bigger bodies (OL and TE) blocking smaller, faster defenders (LBs and hybrid safeties). Normally a strategic win for the offense, in theory. However in this play due to smart, aggressive play by defenders this play goes nowhere.

Start with Morgan Burnett- pre-snap he points to help Evans (25) with his alignment and assignment. Post-snap, he reads run and sees the LT and LG pulling. He's giving up probably 100 lbs to the pulling LT (#70) he will take on, but his speed up field and willingness for contact sets a hard edge and forces the play back inside to help. Notice it's not Burnett who ends up on his butt after this play.

Next notice Brooks (55). Using a quick swim move makes the decision to use a TE to block him look foolish, and he gets into the backfield quickly. This creates enough havoc that the pulling LG (65) doesn't get to lead block a LB (I think normally he'd want to block Josh Jones in the hole here).

Brooks' play opens the door for Jones and Martinez to flow to the play and make the stop.

Edited by Acrid Josher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

I'm not a Clark fan...hated the pick.  So, that is my bias.  Here is what I've seen.

Plus performance against the Seahawks.  Almost unmovable at the point, unreal chase ability down the line for a big man.  I mean crazy good.

Pretty invisible against the Falcons.  He didn't get moved much, but he couldn't shed inside and he didn't chase nearly as well.  (I think he was really, really missing Daniels.)

Average to slightly above average performance against the Bengals.  He penetrated a little, again he wasn't moved much, and I saw him doubled more to keep him from chasing.

Overall, I'm impressed with him.  Guys that anchor like that shouldn't be able to chase as well as he does.  He got a lot better since last year.  Put Daniels next to him and I think he jumps off of the screen more at you.

Lowry?  Meh.  Very average player right now.  Has not lived up to the hype.  Wouldn't shock me if he is still dinged up.

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:
8 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

I'm not a Clark fan...hated the pick.  So, that is my bias.  Here is what I've seen.

Plus performance against the Seahawks.  Almost unmovable at the point, unreal chase ability down the line for a big man.  I mean crazy good.

Pretty invisible against the Falcons.  He didn't get moved much, but he couldn't shed inside and he didn't chase nearly as well.  (I think he was really, really missing Daniels.)

Average to slightly above average performance against the Bengals.  He penetrated a little, again he wasn't moved much, and I saw him doubled more to keep him from chasing.

Overall, I'm impressed with him.  Guys that anchor like that shouldn't be able to chase as well as he does.  He got a lot better since last year.  Put Daniels next to him and I think he jumps off of the screen more at you.

Lowry?  Meh.  Very average player right now.  Has not lived up to the hype.  Wouldn't shock me if he is still dinged up.

You have to imagine that age played a lot into the Kenny pick. That is a guy who, like Cobb, who will sign an extension before he's 25. That being said I think he is pretty clearly the 2nd best lineman on the team and he has played pretty well. Great feel in the run game