Vikings trade WR Diggs to Bills

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

I look at the Diggs trade this way; I believe, but didn't check it out, Ten Picks Rick now has about nine picks for 2020, which means only one more deal is needed to reach ten.  :D 

@The Gnat so kindly gathered them all in his mock drafts thread. Vikings currently have 12 pick in the 2020 draft.

1.22, 1.25, 2.58, 3.89, 3.105, 4.132, 5.155, 6.205, 6.207, 7.239, 7.249, 7.253

47 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

well, that's rude.

i guess i just didn't understand his point well enough, and was trying to converse civilly with an old online friend.

jeez, i just won't be a part of these conversations if i'm going to be attacked and insulted. see ya later, guys.

There's been A LOT of bickering on these boards the last few months.

Then it just increases with things like the Kirk extension or the Diggs trade. Everyone needs to get so intrenched with their opinion on the trade/signing and everyone else with a differing opinion is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

So those who hate the trade and the fact Diggs is gone, I ask you this: What was your solution? 

The same as my solution was at the end of the season. I wouldn’t have stuck with the antiquated philosophy of this coaching staff. 

Diggs’ cryptic social media post about his unhappiness didn’t start until Zimmer made it abundantly clear that this was going to be a run first team. And I don’t believe that where Diggs felt this offense should be was wrong. 

This team has spent a lot of money on a QB, two top 15 WRs, and a top 10 TE, yet Zimmer insists on being a run first, control the ball offense. It is starting to appear that he’s trying force a system on his players, rather than build a system around his players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

The same as my solution was at the end of the season. I wouldn’t have stuck with the antiquated philosophy of this coaching staff. 

Diggs’ cryptic social media post about his unhappiness didn’t start until Zimmer made it abundantly clear that this was going to be a run first team. And I don’t believe that where Diggs felt this offense should be was wrong. 

This team has spent a lot of money on a QB, two top 15 WRs, and a top 10 TE, yet Zimmer insists on being a run first, control the ball offense. It is starting to appear that he’s trying force a system on his players, rather than build a system around his players. 

My principle concern is not that Zimmer insists on being a run first, ball control offense: it's that the execution of said offense is entirely too predictable.  Modern defenses are just too good to consistently give up long scoring drives unless some deception is involved, at least the better defenses (hence, our offensive woes against such teams).

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So change an entire roser of players with contracts that carry cap penalties to make one WR happy? That sounds like your solution. This team did make the playoffs and win a game with that antiquated philosophy of the coaching staff, did it not?

And I'm sorry, is Diggs in the same league as Calvin Johnson, Jerry Rice or Randy Moss?

What happens when he doesn't like the next scheme? Change it again? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This team did make the playoffs and win a game with that antiquated philosophy of the coaching staff, did it not?

It did. But did they ever look like a team that was a Super Bowl contender? And isn’t that the goal? 

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

So change an entire roser of players with contracts that carry cap penalties to make one WR happy?

You don’t have to change the roster. You already have the roster built. Why are you paying a QB $30M if you’re not going to center the offense around him? Why are you paying two wide receivers ~$15M if they aren’t going to be a focal point in the offense? Why pay a TE $10M if he’s not going to be looked at as a primary weapon? 

Quite frankly, ever since Norv Turner resigned, I don’t believe that the roster building has meshed with the head coach’s offensive philosophy. And I think it’s held this team back. 

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

What happens when he doesn't like the next scheme?

I don’t believe Diggs is attached to any scheme. I believe that he just wanted to be a primary character in the offense. And given his talent, and his ability to make big plays, why wouldn’t you want him as a center point of your offense?

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it could be argued Diggs' future, should he have remained on the team, was not a known quantity. would he hold out? refuse to come to practices? continue public comments, possibly turning in to tirades? would he have influenced other potential free agents to stay away from the Vikings? as examples of unknown quantities...

if you are going to apply a known and unknown type of analysis to his physical abilities, then you have to, fairly, apply it to the other considerations that go in to employing him.

I'm with VD, whats with the pitch forks against our top member when hes right. 

You want to get as much as you can for players when they are on the way out. The Vikings getting all these picks are Huge. Yea they all won't work out but Theilen and diggs were late round, Cousins, Hunter, and Griffin were mid rounders. And we have a ton of other good players.

All teams are building for the future.

NOBODY wants to see Diggs go amd we are all sad about it but wouldn't we rather get a bunch in return for a player like that. When was the last time we had a great player leave and we actually got Fair compensation for them. This is the only time that you guys are upset about it.

54 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It did. But did they ever look like a team that was a Super Bowl contender? And isn’t that the goal? 

You don’t have to change the roster. You already have the roster built. Why are you paying a QB $30M if you’re not going to center the offense around him? Why are you paying two wide receivers ~$15M if they aren’t going to be a focal point in the offense? Why pay a TE $10M if he’s not going to be looked at as a primary weapon? 

Quite frankly, ever since Norv Turner resigned, I don’t believe that the roster building has meshed with the head coach’s offensive philosophy. And I think it’s held this team back. 

I don’t believe Diggs is attached to any scheme. I believe that he just wanted to be a primary character in the offense. And given his talent, and his ability to make big plays, why wouldn’t you want him as a center point of your offense?

If they want a pass-centered offense they need to pass protect better.  The roster isn’t “already built”, unfortunately a QB and two top WRs isn’t enough to throw the ball 50 times a game. 

They looked like a SB contender against the Saints, who many predicted to win the NFC.  And I don’t know why you think a run-heavy offense is so “antiquated”...? Didn’t Kubiak’s offense just win a SB in 2015?  

Diggs was selfish and wanted the ball more.  The coaching staff wasn’t going to cave in, which I am actually proud of.  You say they should be this heavy pass team because of their weapons, but what about Dalvin Cook?  Did you forget about him?

Edited by Duff Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m enjoying working from home indefinitely. Feel more produtive. 

I wish I felt more productive.  A lot of my job involves conversations with co-workers, so it's far more difficult to do that from here (although I can certainly still do it).  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I wish I felt more productive.  A lot of my job involves conversations with co-workers, so it's far more difficult to do that from here (although I can certainly still do it).  

Same with my job. Much of my job is meetings, we’ve had to make a lot of budget changes with all of the stuff going on so it’s been a grind of meetings and quick analysis.