Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, mission27 said:

Forget the exact numbers for a second if you dont trust the numbers.

What exactly makes you think this virus is not seasonal when most other viral respiratory infections are seasonal including other coronaviruses and when all of the most severe outbreaks have occurred in temperate winter climates? 

People get colds and flus in the summer too.  There are probably hundreds of thousands of people with the common cold in Brazil right now or Australia.  That does not mean the common cold is not seasonal.

because i listen to experts in fields i am not an expert in unlike you.  there is no consensus on it yet, and if there was one, it would be "the seasonality wont do much to dampen the blow".  which again is still different than you saying that seasonality will be a reason that will soften the blow as you have many pages in this thread

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

because i listen to experts in fields i am not an expert in unlike you.  there is no consensus on it yet, and if there was one, it would be "the seasonality wont do much to dampen the blow".  which again is still different than you saying that seasonality will be a reason that will soften the blow as you have many pages in this thread

This is more or less the stance that has to be taken right now.

Hopefully it is seasonal and hospitals, healthcare workers, people, the economy, et all can get a breather before things ramp up again in October, but there’s really no data to support that yet.

We can hope for the best, but need to be preparing as though it isn’t.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

don't see any smart people jumping in, so you're stuck with me instead

Like the other antibody therapeutics, this will have to be dosed either IV or in a shot. The antibodies won't survive stomach acid, so a pill is not viable
They are hoping for September for compassionate use, many more months until its widely available as a treatment for patients. "Cure" is different than "treatment" depending on the disease - it remains to be seen how this one turns out.

I don't mean to be overly pessimistic, its not in my nature - however -  80-90 % of therapeutics fail in clinical trials for a variety of reasons. Some related to science/medicine, others for logistical reasons. Having potent antibodies are a great first step, but the path forward is a gauntlet and moving through the clinical trial phases is called the Valley of Death for a reason.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

My idea of proof is listening to what the scientists who are actually running tests on it are saying. The conspiracy theorists for this have about as much evidence as the ones who think the earth is flat. 

Even if it wasnt bioengineered,  that doesnt mean it was found and then purposefully spread.

Again, not saying thats what happened, but I wouldnt put anything past China, especially given the last couple years.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Again, that article is about it being manmade.

Doesnt mean they didnt find it and then release it on a broader scale.   Not that it happened, but the only people who completely dismiss it are the China apologists...seemingly alot around here. 

From everything I'm hearing, the apex here in the early outbreak locations in the US is estimated to be middle April. more remote areas could linger as late as late May for the worst of it.

New York - April 10th 
Pennsylvania - April 17th
California - April 27th

USA Total - April 15th

This is in terms of deaths per day. 

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not that it happened, but the only people who completely dismiss it are the China apologists...seemingly alot around here. 

Or, people who want to keep this thread open and don't want you getting another one locked.

Last time - drop it. 

Just now, ET80 said:

Or, people who want to keep this thread open and don't want you getting another one locked.

Last time - drop it. 

Even though I wasnt even the one who brought politics into the first one that got locked, but yeah, single me out. 

Cant have anyone going off script, right ET?

Dont worry, Im done here.

• Like 2

@Webmaster was pretty clear when he created the THIRD version of this conversion. Politics are not to be discussed. And we're going to be more stern about keeping things under control so we can keep this topic open for discussion.

@FourThreeMafia, this is an official warning. Please refrain from the political aspect of this, as multiple people have said. Multiple times.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, August4th said:

Maryland and Virginia are working well together, along with Washington DC.  Hogan already has converted Fed Ex Field (Redskins stadium) to a testing facility, and has converted MVA emissions stations to "drive thru testing" if you have a referral from your doctor.  He's also ordered the national guard to set up numerous field hospitals in the area.  We are currently under a "stay at home" order which went into effect yesterday at 8 pm.  Hogan also chairs the governor's meetings.