Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

29 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I work Part time at a grocery store and honestly do not feel comfortable working this weekend or really at all while this is going on. But I do Not want to lose that income. Not sure what to do. My grocery store isn’t even offering gloves for their employees. 

Buy and use your own gloves 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

took a drive to get fresh air

saw some places open doing business like normal while others were just doing takeouts or closed.

I've noticed that a lot of people are driving just to get out of the house. Hopefully auto repair shops are able to stay open if they choose.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I work Part time at a grocery store and honestly do not feel comfortable working this weekend or really at all while this is going on. But I do Not want to lose that income. Not sure what to do. My grocery store isn’t even offering gloves for their employees. 

Bruce, I'm going to assume you're around 39. If you have family at home that you're worried about infecting, then don't work.

If you have a young family that you need to provide for, then you might need to.

Just wash your hands. A lot.

Edited by Mega Ron
Drunk

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

I've noticed that a lot of people are driving just to get out of the house. Hopefully auto repair shops are able to stay open if they choose.

I think they're considered essential

don't want doctors/nurses not going to work due to car problems

36 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'd be less worried about the virus and more worried about the rude shoppers out there. Not to downplay the seriousness of the virus but holy moly, people out there are so awful right now. 

4 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I'd be less worried about the virus and more worried about the rude shoppers out there. Not to downplay the seriousness of the virus but holy moly, people out there are so awful right now. 

gif, movie, and the joker image

2 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

This all sucks.

What's the worst thing you've dealt with ya'll?

I moved from San Francisco to Los Angeles the day before the shelter in place was enacted. Ended up having to come to my parents house in another part of Southern California. Both of my businesses had to cease operation because the majority of our clients are closed for the time being. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I moved from San Francisco to Los Angeles the day before the shelter in place was enacted.

Crazy times.
We drove from Berkeley to San Diego on Monday just before Alameda County was shut down a few hours later.

Sorry to hear about your businesses, good luck

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Crazy times.
We drove from Berkeley to San Diego on Monday just before Alameda County was shut down a few hours later.

Sorry to hear about your businesses, good luck

Do you live in Berkeley? That's actually where I was living. Was sad to leave but excited to live in Southern California once this is all settled. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

To all the lawyers out there, hypothetically speaking, if my boss decided to close the hotel due to this Coronavirus and the franchise threatened to keep us closed for months or years, what kind of lawsuit would that open up?  

I don’t have all the details, just that she said the franchise said that would happen essentially.  Apparently they’re being complete Butkuses to the independently owned hotels under their banner.  Really upsetting a lot of owners.

In the interest of giving you a rough idea, I can answer generally, but this is in no way legal advice.

None of us will be able to answer effectively without more details.  But, it will depend upon their action and basis for the action.  Plus, who you are influences what claims you can bring due to standing requirements.

I imagine that they’re relying upon a contract provision, which means most of the claims are going to be related to enforcement of the contract and related tort claims that may stem from it, such as tortious interference of contract.  So, they’re going to be pointing toward an interpretation that allows them to do that, and the lawsuit that followed would be for breach of contract based on their interpretation, arguing a different interpretation, and seeking enforcement on that interpretation.  Plus, an injunction while the case is decided to mitigate damages and prevent deprivation of the contract’s benefit.

From that point, you can progress into even murkier waters depending on the circumstance.  It could get into the NLRA or applicable state law, and then it will progress to a choice of law inquiry if there are varying jurisdictions, which there could be since you mentioned independent hotels under a unitary brand.

Prototypical lawyer response: it depends, but the contract enforcement angle is most likely, and then attorneys will throw in state law if it’s even remotely close to applicable.  Affected Unions would have more options and mechanisms on the labor front, but Unions are weakened at the moment, but they’ll be back in a couple years.