Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, Dome said:

Really? Traffic has been noticeably light here. Finally.

Yeah it was your typical afternoon traffic in Illinois for me.  I don’t know how other states have done their “shelter in place” orders, but in Illinois everything except the following is an essential business:  places of public amusement, carnivals, amusement parks, water parks, aquariums, zoos, museums, arcades, playgrounds, theme parks, bowling alleys, movie theatres, music halls, fitness centers, spas, barber shops, and tattoo parlors.

many of those dont even really apply given that it’s march in the Midwest and we just had 2 inches of snow.

side note, pet stores are open.  Meaning my dog can get a haircut, but i cannot.

15 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

side note, pet stores are open.  Meaning my dog can get a haircut, but i cannot.

If your local grocery store also offered haircuts next to the canned soup aisle, you likely could get a haircut as well.

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

Everyone has said 12-18 mos

12-18 months to make sure there are no adverse effects from a vaccine.  Though there isn't going to truly be a cure for a virus.  It will be like the flu shot, specifically targeted to Covid-19 and designed to try and give your body immunity so it prevents infection, or at least gives you a moderate case of it, like the flu shot does for you.  

They could use other medicines to help fight off infections and that would take a far lesser time to get approved for wide-use, especially if the medicine is known and already has a history.  

• Like 2

Also I forgot to update everyone on the project I took on at church last week for the local homeless shelter.  We made almost a week's worth of food for the shelter for them to keep in their freezers and reheat when needed.  With the state government closing churches, I'm not sure if we could get back in, but we are absolutely ready if we can.  

The group I lead is also going to donate money to a food purchasing program that's local in our area.  People buy an allotment at $15, and they usually get $50-60 in food if they were to buy it at the supermarket.  We usually donate to the easter dinner special meals (they also do special meals for Thanksgiving and Christmas) but we are looking to double that donation given the need of the organization.  We do not have much money, but we are looking to make a difference with what we do have, and what we can do.  

Our church also hosted a blood drive, as the Red Cross is in desperate need of donations there as well.  

Maryland's governor has another press conference scheduled for tomorrow, and I imagine there will be an update on the public school system, as well as potentially a true shelter in place order, which he's avoided to this point.  I went to the grocery store and pharmacy today, and it looked like people were obeying it for the most part.  This was the least crowded I saw the Giant in town, and also went to Safeway and Weis trying to track down milk (Weis had it) and the foot traffic was the same in those.  Nothing too crazy today, but my guess is they all got cleared out yesterday with Hogan closing the rest of the businesses deemed non-essential, which includes liquor stores.  While I'm not a huge drinker, I think closing them is a mistake.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Apparently real life isn't like the movies where they can throw together a cure in a few weeks in a lab to save everyone

Yea I remember the old saying "if this happened in the US or western europe they would have a solution within the week". When 1st world countries are often accused of not solving the problems in 2nd and 3rd world countries immediately. 

First world problem:

My house is going to be finished and yet the inspectors office for the county is closed. I’m going to be paying interest on a house I don’t live in and rent for our rental indefinitely. I’m also worried about what will happen in the long run and the impact on the housing market. This is completely unsustainable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

First world problem:

My house is going to be finished and yet the inspectors office for the county is closed. I’m going to be paying interest on a house I don’t live in and rent for our rental indefinitely. I’m also worried about what will happen in the long run and the impact on the housing market. This is completely unsustainable.

It is unsustainable, but there's no real plan to solve that issue.  I think the hope is that everything works itself out in 3-4 weeks, and those problems go away.  But the reality is that at some point the decision is going to have to be made whether we've weathered the worst of it, and to open everything back up.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

It is unsustainable, but there's no real plan to solve that issue.  I think the hope is that everything works itself out in 3-4 weeks, and those problems go away.  But the reality is that at some point the decision is going to have to be made whether we've weathered the worst of it, and to open everything back up.

My sister is a nurse, and she said the suicide rate is already on an upswing. A lot of people are worse off than me.

Sounds like the relief package that was passed was about the best that we could have hoped for.

$130b for hospitals
Unemployment compensation in full for those earning up to $75k including gig and tip workers
"Strict" oversight for all loans (not sure about the details on this one)
$150b for state and local governments

I'm sure there are probably things that could have been done better, but in the interest of time and the severity situation it sounds like some real financial help is on the way.

• Like 1

Cabin fever is in full swing here. 3 kids under school age, my wife and I trying to each work from home, no real end in sight, my kids aren’t sleeping, and I’m super close to snapping at everyone for no real reason. I’ve already had to apologize to my kids and wife. 

• Like 5

Just now, MWil23 said:

My sister is a nurse, and she said the suicide rate is already on an upswing. A lot of people are worse off than me.

Oh for sure.  And that's not surprising.  Things are bad, and only getting worse by the minute for those living paycheck to paycheck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Cabin fever is in full swing here. 3 kids under school age, my wife and I trying to each work from home, no real end in sight, my kids aren’t sleeping, and I’m super close to snapping at everyone for no real reason. I’ve already had to apologize to my kids and wife. 

Things were like that in my house on Saturday.  We all went outside and split wood for 2 hours.  The physical activity really helped out with everyone's mood.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

I feel for you, man. I've been at home since 3/12, and basically single parenting an 8 year old while my wife is at the hospital 12+ hours a day. I can only imagine what it is like with a full house. 

• Like 2