Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's interesting.  I mean, cool, i'll get a nice $3,400 check.  But i don't need it.

I don't need it (but I'll always take it, because I'm a miserable, greedy person) but it'll help. My wife works hourly as a BCBA Intern, and her hours were slashed pretty hard, from 40 to 10 hours leading up to this - so this'll act as a pretty good stipend for us to offset her lost hours. 

Won't make us or break us, but good to know I won't have to dip into reserves if something DID hit the fan.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

I wonder why they didn't direct the money toward those people who are hitting unemployment, as a little bonus?  Because unemployment doesn't pay out 100% salary.

I think there is a provision that's centered to unemployment benefits? That's a specific slice of the $2T package, IIRC.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Maryland public schools also closing for another month.  Opening up centers to feed children, as well as daycare centers for people who are working essential jobs. 

I'm kind of shocked they haven't announced a full closure for the year yet.

Edited by Glen

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:
19 minutes ago, theJ said:

I wonder why they didn't direct the money toward those people who are hitting unemployment, as a little bonus?  Because unemployment doesn't pay out 100% salary.

I think there is a provision that's centered to unemployment benefits? That's a specific slice of the $2T package, IIRC.

It's an equal portion as the $1200/$2400+$500/kid check portion ($250B apiece). Presumably, if your hours were slashed there are more benefits waiting.

EDIT: Or at least that's why I'm reading when I see "$250 billion in unemployment insurance benefits".

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

14 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

I think their intent and hope is that for the people that don't need it, they will turn around and use it to make some luxury purchases to help stimulate the economy. I'm one of those fortunate enough that my wife and I are still employed with good job security, but with how things are looking my $2,900 check is going straight to savings.

Yeah that's what i kind of assumed.

I'm on the fence as to whether i should bank it and wait for things to calm down, or donate it to my church.  I'm sure they can find someone who needs it more than i do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm on the fence as to whether i should bank it and wait for things to calm down, or donate it to my church.  I'm sure they can find someone who needs it more than i do.

Sucks that the standard deduction is so high. You'd need $24k in other donations before you even come out even unless the stimulus is tax free (which you'd think both parties would have advertised if it was).

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Yeah that's what i kind of assumed.

Mine is going right to my wedding venue. Helps even out the fact that my job has delayed merit bonuses, even though we are still working as usual. Hell, I've been working overtime the past few weeks.

Meanwhile, my fiancee got temporarily laid off while they try to figure out how to proceed with telehealth, so she needs the check she will be getting. I have a lot of comments on this bill I won't express here, but it is better than nothing and seems that at least the UI changes will help some people who absolutely need it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also I forgot to update everyone on the project I took on at church last week for the local homeless shelter.  We made almost a week's worth of food for the shelter for them to keep in their freezers and reheat when needed.  With the state government closing churches, I'm not sure if we could get back in, but we are absolutely ready if we can.  

The group I lead is also going to donate money to a food purchasing program that's local in our area.  People buy an allotment at $15, and they usually get $50-60 in food if they were to buy it at the supermarket.  We usually donate to the easter dinner special meals (they also do special meals for Thanksgiving and Christmas) but we are looking to double that donation given the need of the organization.  We do not have much money, but we are looking to make a difference with what we do have, and what we can do.  

Our church also hosted a blood drive, as the Red Cross is in desperate need of donations there as well.  

Maryland's governor has another press conference scheduled for tomorrow, and I imagine there will be an update on the public school system, as well as potentially a true shelter in place order, which he's avoided to this point.  I went to the grocery store and pharmacy today, and it looked like people were obeying it for the most part.  This was the least crowded I saw the Giant in town, and also went to Safeway and Weis trying to track down milk (Weis had it) and the foot traffic was the same in those.  Nothing too crazy today, but my guess is they all got cleared out yesterday with Hogan closing the rest of the businesses deemed non-essential, which includes liquor stores.  While I'm not a huge drinker, I think closing them is a mistake.  

Bless you and your church :)

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hate this word so much. Please can it just go away.

Not even mad at you, but the phrase telehealth just kills me. "How can we make not being able to afford to see a doctor in person appealing...corporate branding!"

I heard that term for the first time a few weeks ago. My fiancee works in OT for extremely young kids- between 6 months and 2 years. She, and all the other OTs, are trying to figure out how best to do this, whether it be instruct on how to do exercises over some sort of video chat or just consultations over the phone. Good news is these families already don't pay for anything out of pocket. Bad news is these kids need this help, and they can't get it in person for the time being.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hate this word so much. Please can it just go away.

Not even mad at you, but the phrase telehealth just kills me. "How can we make not being able to afford to see a doctor in person appealing...corporate branding!"

Does it have to be a money thing ?

I'm rich af and I dont want to have to go in person to see a doctor.  I'd rather just text or facetime someone and get meds.  Like basically a drug dealer with a license 

45 minutes ago, theJ said:

You need a hobby to do at home.

this is it at home... 😢 

My hobby is shooting, but with ranges being closed except for an outdoor one and it’s been raining a ton, I’m not doing that either. 

Plus the panic buying kicked in there too...

I've been spending all weekend in my woodshop.  The kids spend part of it out there with me.  Though they didn't enjoy last weekend.  I ran the planer for about 3 hours straight, and that thing is LOUD.  They were wearing hearing protection, but couldn't take it anymore after about 1.5 hr.

Silly as it may sound I’m doing nothing risky right now.  No weights, just shooting hoops, etc.. now isn’t the time to need stitches or a trip to an ortho.

This too shall pass...

• Like 2