Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm not nearly as educated as rams or Shane, but it shows to help those with severe symptoms by reducing cytokine storm. It won't do anything to prevent someone with mild symptoms from progressing to worse symptoms, but it shows to have an impact on those who are ventilated or receiving oxygen. Great news, but I haven't read much of the study, and that's typically where I lean on Shane, Rams, or my wife to comprehend for me, haha. 

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're totally on the tag list for the brain trust going forward...

Just a heads up- I'm not nearly as educated as Rams or Shane when it comes to science. 

I work in the medical field, but I'm knowledgeable in supply chain management and ICU equipment- not medical care. I do occasionally turn to my wife for advice on some of these studies, so if I seem to be using really cool science lingo and am able to explain a bunch of science crapola- then it's either my wife typing up a response or she's helping me type a response.

It was flattering to be put into the brain trust group, though. So if you'd like to stroke my ego, then please- continue adding me! Maybe tag me and in parentheses put (Wizeguy's wife), hahaha

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

Ultimately it shows we're learning more and more about this thing even though this is only useful for severe cases. I am optimistic about the future of the smartest people on the planet figuring this out b/c the thought of it dying out doesn't look too probably these days. I feel we should've seen more evidence of that by now if it were to be true.

I’ve never really thought a vaccine would be a viable option by fall (sure, it’s possible but not likely imo), so this is huge.

Without a vaccine or viable treatment option, we could be in for a round end of the year, especially with kids going back to school.  

Hopefully this is the effective treatment option we need.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hopefully this is the effective treatment option we need.

its a treatment option for the symptoms that occur when you're in full- blown disease. Over the last week or so we've heard about drugs and antibodies that slow down or stop the over-reaction by our immune system to the viral infection. And that over-reaction is what causes much of the acute respiratory distress for these patients. Its all very promising for keeping severely ill patients from dying. That's a big win.

But it doesn't stop people from getting the disease or from progressing from mild->moderate->severe

here's the data from the other BBC article:

For patients on ventilators, it cut the risk of death from 40% to 28%.
For patients needing oxygen, it cut the risk of death from 25% to 20%.

We keep chipping away at it and giving the MDs and nurses more treatment options for their patients. We didn't know any of this back in January, that's the challenge with a novel invader. So now if/when the next waves hit, the death toll should be reduced given the various treatment options that have risen to the top.

HIV used to be a death sentence, but not any more -  and there's hope we'll have the same success with anti-COVID meds vs this virus

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

its a treatment option for the symptoms that occur when you're in full- blown disease. Over the last week or so we've heard about drugs and antibodies that slow down or stop the over-reaction by our immune system to the viral infection. And that over-reaction is what causes much of the acute respiratory distress for these patients. Its all very promising for keeping severely ill patients from dying. That's a big win.

But it doesn't stop people from getting the disease or from progressing from mild->moderate->severe

here's the data from the other BBC article:

For patients on ventilators, it cut the risk of death from 40% to 28%.
For patients needing oxygen, it cut the risk of death from 25% to 20%.

We keep chipping away at it and giving the MDs and nurses more treatment options for their patients. We didn't know any of this back in January, that's the challenge with a novel invader. So now if/when the next waves hit, the death toll should be reduced given the various treatment options that have risen to the top.

HIV used to be a death sentence, but not any more -  and there's hope we'll have the same success with anti-COVID meds vs this virus

I get that it’s not curative, but it’s still a promising treatment option that wasn’t being standardized a couple months ago.

The mortality decreases are huge numbers.

• Like 1