Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

They didn't reverse course, they learned new information on a virus that we knew literally nothing about a year ago. 

The problem with that argument is that this virus spreads like every other virus ever known.  We know that all viruses have to get in your body, and the transmission vectors are always the same.  It comes out of your body, usually through the mouth/nose.  The uninfected gets it on him, and it goes into his body, usually through the mouth/nose.

The coronavirus just does it more efficiently than other viruses (ie it's more contagious).  It's not special in that spreads differently, it just does it better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Anything that is new, we learn as we go along. Prudent safety management would’ve dictated mask usage until they proved they weren’t needed. The lack of hazard identification, risk assessment and mitigation on the part of WHO is a total failure.

tbh it wouldn't have mattered in America. We have all the info now and we still have plenty of people refusing to follow easy guidelines.

• Like 3

Anything that is new, we learn as we go along. Prudent safety management would’ve dictated mask usage until they proved they weren’t needed. The lack of hazard identification, risk assessment and mitigation on the part of WHO is a total failure.

If airlines, aircraft manufacturers and other technical industries where mistakes cost lives operated in this fashion the industry would collapse. Ask Boeing about cheating on mitigation strategies.

This. 

6 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

They should of said masks required until they proved they weren’t.

The supply chain would have been decimated as panic buying would have precluded healthcare workers from having sufficient masks. There's plenty of ineptitude all around, but in this case I think they were just buying time. IF masks had become as scarce as toilet paper, the hospital workers would have been in a horrible situation and without them, we'd all be effed.

9 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Using the excuse it’s a new virus is simply baloney they’re spreading

I'm not sure on that one either. Science is based on forming a hypothesis and testing it rigorously. There's a lot of "wrong" along the way, its part of the process in dealing with a novel pathogen. Many people will bellow " Fauci was wrong !" , but that's meaningless to people trained in the scientific method, but its considered a smoking gun by the "gotcha" crowd.

We've been wrong a lot, that's how we learn and get better. There's nothing wrong with being wrong and I'll take it a step further and say that anybody who claims to always be right or never be wrong is somebody you should shun. Its a telltale sign of a small and petty person and that's true all the way from message boards to the highest offices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

Yea, that is not darwinism, and my comment was soley about the story of the idiots playing some stupid game. I guess I need more disclaimers. 

Even if you isolate it to idiots playing a stupid game, that’s not Darwinism either. Given the contagious nature of this virus, it’s more akin to being an antivaxxer.

• Like 1

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

tbh it wouldn't have mattered in America. We have all the info now and we still have plenty of people refusing to follow easy guidelines.

Yea, honestly you are probably right that you still would not have 100% compliance, we have that with nothing.  I guess at the end of the day this is just one big excuse unfortunately, but people are going to do stupid things that kill them no matter what facts exist. I do think if the line upfront was more strict/cautious maybe we'd be talking about 30% of the population vs 50% or whatever the figures are. 

If airlines, aircraft manufacturers and other technical industries where mistakes cost lives operated in this fashion the industry would collapse. Ask Boeing about cheating on mitigation strategies.

And then if it was proven that masks weren't needed, people would complain about that. There's no winning with people who live to complain about everything.

Just take the evidence and recommendations we have at the current time and move forward with them. At the time, their evidence didn't show a relation to masks helping. That changed, like science usually does (especially in the case of a highly mutative virus). Believe it or not, the health officials aren't trying to prolong this.

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

I actually think it would’ve made a big difference. Once you educate people, for example, don’t need a mask and people believe it. It becomes much harder to re-educate them 

Americans aren’t any different than anyone else (other than politics).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Even if you isolate it to idiots playing a stupid game, that’s not Darwinism either. Given the contagious nature of this virus, it’s more akin to being an antivaxxer.

You are right, poor choice of words on my part. 

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

I actually think it would’ve made a big difference. Once you educate people, for example, don’t need a mask and people believe it. It becomes much harder to re-educate them 

Would have made a big difference yes, but still not 100% compliance and people would still complain.  But like you said, other industries don't get that luxury. 

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

Big disagree. Social distancing was always a thing and people have ignored that in wide numbers since the beginning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

The problem with that argument is that this virus spreads like every other virus ever known.  We know that all viruses have to get in your body, and the transmission vectors are always the same.  It comes out of your body, usually through the mouth/nose.  The uninfected gets it on him, and it goes into his body, usually through the mouth/nose.

The coronavirus just does it more efficiently than other viruses (ie it's more contagious).  It's not special in that spreads differently, it just does it better.

People are outraged about wearing the masks in general (with a more contagious virus as you said). Do you really think they would've been fine wearing them had it come out that it's not as contagious? There's literally no winning for the officials unless they get lucky and nail it on the head the first time (which is damn near impossible with things like this). 

• Like 2