Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

awesome news, cant wait to get one.  my wife and i think we already had it, would be dope if i could donate blood or something

Absolutely, I don't know if I've had it or not - but I'd absolutely test and donate.

I missed this paragraph the first time through:

"Antibody tests won’t face the same bureaucratic hurdles diagnostic testing initially did. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration relaxed its rules last month, and body-fluid tests can proceed to market without full agency review and approval."

That is why we don't get to have nice things!

Just now, TVScout said:

I missed this paragraph the first time through:

"Antibody tests won’t face the same bureaucratic hurdles diagnostic testing initially did. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration relaxed its rules last month, and body-fluid tests can proceed to market without full agency review and approval."

That is why we don't get to have nice things!

Isnt that good?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

1) We aren't testing at nearly the rate China did

2) We don't have nearly the control over our population that China does

3) We have numerous leaders that want to prioritize the stock market over health

We are going to be on a much different timeline than China. 

People need to realize that without a vaccine, social distancing doesn't reduce the number of cases we will see. It only extends the timeline so we can better prepare and don't get hit all at once. Most people WILL get infected sometime in the next 12-18 months. The MN Governor explained it very well:

Yes this has been here for two months without widespread testing, just like it was in China for two months before the government would even admit it existed.  Just like it was spreading in Europe for weeks or months before lockdowns were put in place. 

We have a playbook from Wuhan, social distancing for a period of a couple of weeks to months with travel restrictions works, locking down hot spot areas and testing works.  

Italy has followed that playbook and is turning the corner.  They will likely announce new cases today that are similar to the # from a week ago.  That's an outbreak that has likely peaked.

If we are vigilant about social distancing we will get there.  Wuhan has more people than NYC and is more densely populated and didn't even know this disease existed until they got to basically the place New York is now, and by doing what New York is doing now, they got this under control in about 1.5 months from lockdown.  And no... they did not test all 12 million people who live in Wuhan.  They probably tested a few hundred thousand if not less.  We will get there.

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

social distancing for a period of a couple of weeks to months with travel restrictions works, locking down hot spot areas and testing works.  

This is not happening though. Not nearly to the extent that it was in other countries. Using gps data Chicago was given an "A" in social distancing efforts, but just yesterday the city had to shut down the lakefront and the 606 trail because too many people were out and about while it was nice outside. 

Social distancing only works if everyone is socially distant.

China was requiring anyone that went anywhere to have their temperature taken. If they had a fever they were immediately quarantined. As far as I know, that hasn't happened anywhere.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yes this has been here for two months without widespread testing, just like it was in China for two months before the government would even admit it existed.  Just like it was spreading in Europe for weeks or months before lockdowns were put in place. 

We have a playbook from Wuhan, social distancing for a period of a couple of weeks to months with travel restrictions works, locking down hot spot areas and testing works.  

Italy has followed that playbook and is turning the corner.  They will likely announce new cases today that are similar to the # from a week ago.  That's an outbreak that has likely peaked.

If we are vigilant about social distancing we will get there.  Wuhan has more people than NYC and is more densely populated and didn't even know this disease existed until they got to basically the place New York is now, and by doing what New York is doing now, they got this under control in about 1.5 months from lockdown.  And no... they did not test all 12 million people who live in Wuhan.  They probably tested a few hundred thousand if not less.  We will get there.

its only peaked if they continue with the social distancing for a long period, which we all know wont fly in the face of a global depression.  

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

if immunity isnt gained after the first infection we really f'd so lets not think about that 

Anyone who says immunity is not gained is ignorant about how viruses work 

"We just don't know" 

Yes, we do know. We've seen viruses before. Your body creates an antibody specific to that strain of virus and then essentially keeps it on hand in case the virus comes back 

Now, the virus could mutate and then the antibodies would not be able to fight it, so you could get it that way again, but reports are that it's not mutating quickly, so in this particular instance anyone who gets it within the next month and recovers will not be contagious nor susceptible to it again (at least until it mutates)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Anyone who says immunity is not gained is ignorant about how viruses work 

"We just don't know" 

Yes, we do know. We've seen viruses before. Your body creates an antibody specific to that strain of virus and then essentially keeps it on hand in case the virus comes back 

Now, the virus could mutate and then the antibodies would not be able to fight it, so you could get it that way again, but reports are that it's not mutating quickly, so in this particular instance anyone who gets it within the next month and recovers will not be contagious nor susceptible to it again (at least until it mutates)

yeah, agreed