Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I wrote a little more info here, hope it helps

An antibody is a complex protein molecule produced by B cells in response to invaders, an amazing system honed by millions of years of evolution.

The five subclasses of antibodies are:

1. Immunoglobulin A (IgA), which is found in high concentrations in the mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears.
  2. Immunoglobulin G (IgG), the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections.
  3. Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid, is the first antibody to be made by the body to fight a new infection.

4. Immunoglobulin E (IgE), which is associated mainly with allergic reactions (when the immune system overreacts to environmental antigens such as pollen or pet dander). It is found in the lungs, skin, and mucous membranes.
  5. Immunoglobulin D (IgD), which exists in small amounts in the blood, is the least understood antibody.

The first- responders in a respiratory infection are the secretory IgA antibodies, but there are questions about how efficient they are in forming memory cells that lead to lasting immunity. The IgG and IgM antibodies are found in your bloodstream and are the likely source of the new tests linked earlier.

The IgM antibody is less specific, but more prolific -  so early on it plays a bigger role in knocking down the infections.Then the IgG takes over and is more specific to the exact viral intruder and forms lasting immunity -  so you're ready next time around. (Vaccines typically lean on IgG production)

All of this takes some time from initial insult until your body builds up the immunity, so you're looking at about 3 weeks post-infection to have useful amounts of these anti-virus antibodies. Once these antibodies bind to the intruder, it initiates a cascade of events that lead to killing of the virus
In many ways, these antibodies are tagging the virus so the killing cells can take em out (without killing you at the same time )

The current test kits which are in short supply look for the presence of viral RNA and indicate if you have virus in you right now. An antibody test only shows that you were exposed to the virus at some point, but offer little insight into your current viral load. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Social distancing only works if everyone is socially distant.

I agree that social distancing works better the more people social distance

But the goal here isn't eradication (which will not happen until there is a vaccine) the goal is to slow the spread and get it under control, so people can go back to their lives 

90% social distancing isn't perfect but it works in the sense that its much more effective than no social distancing and will slow the rate of infection drastically and get the # of cases down over time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I agree that social distancing works better the more people social distance

But the goal here isn't eradication (which will not happen until there is a vaccine) the goal is to slow the spread and get it under control, so people can go back to their lives 

90% social distancing isn't perfect but it works in the sense that its much more effective than no social distancing and will slow the rate of infection drastically and get the # of cases down over time

I was disagreeing with your assertion that the US is generally following a playbook that has proven to be effective. States are making suggestions and nicely asking people to stay home. Florida and California still had crowds of people on beaches for spring break that have since dispersed and gone back to places all over the country. Families in "stay at home" order locales are still letting their children play together at playgrounds.

None of this is a lockdown. I don't disagree that something is better than nothing, but the idea that we are going to see the same results that other countries and regions have seen is pretty far fetched.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

its only peaked if they continue with the social distancing for a long period, which we all know wont fly in the face of a global depression.  

There are degrees and there's a cost benefit though

We cant take the position that we are going to do the most extreme public health response until this disease is eradicated, that is not going to happen and to your point would not be acceptable in the face of a great depression 

The goal has to be to get the % of the community infected back to a low enough level and then implement better monitoring, testing, and tracing as you ease restrictions to prevent future large scale outbreaks 

Remember we have had people walking around with this virus since November, that's 3-4 months, before most of the world went into lockdown and it took those 3-4 months for things to get this bad, and that's with most countries doing very little to track and contain it

You basically want to take the South Korea approach but you cant do that until you take the Italy approach first and get back to a manageable point

This is what China is doing right now, this is what Europe and the US will be doing come May or June

Doesnt mean all social distancing goes out the window, I think we are likely to see conferences canceled and sporting events played without fans in attendance for some time, cruise ships are going to be no bueno for a while, older and more at risk people will have to take more precautions for a while even after things open up, but at a certain point you need to take the risk of letting people go back to work, eat at restaurants, letting planes fly, letting people travel, opening borders... because there's no guarantee a vaccine is going to come around and we cant put the world on pause forever... I think in Europe and North America that is going to happen incrementally over the course of May and June

Obviously you risk future large scale outbreaks.  That's a risk you have to take at the right time (not at some arbitrary date in April before this has even peaked in most of the country) and hopefully we are much more prepared for the next large scale outbreak so it is less damaging, the lockdown is shorter, and our economy is not quite as impacted 

But I think people need to get over the idea that we either eradicate this disease in the near term or we can never leave our houses again, neither is possible, its going to be a lot more nuanced public health approach and yes it will have to balance people's health with the needs of the economy and the desire of people to actually live their lives again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N4L said:

It's not something you can agree or disagree with. It's science. It's true whether you believe it or not lol 

saw something that said some scientists were worried that if you had a high viral load it could overtake your bodies immune response even if you can create the antibodies, trying to find the link

15 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I was disagreeing with your assertion that the US is generally following a playbook that has proven to be effective. States are making suggestions and nicely asking people to stay home. Florida and California still had crowds of people on beaches for spring break that have since dispersed and gone back to places all over the country. Families in "stay at home" order locales are still letting their children play together at playgrounds.

None of this is a lockdown. I don't disagree that something is better than nothing, but the idea that we are going to see the same results that other countries and regions have seen is pretty far fetched.

Yeah but thats also how it played out in China and Italy... its never going to be perfect, flip the switch, and everyone socially distances day 1

In China, the government let people travel all over the country for Chinese New Year in late January when they knew this was a real issue, which is a big part of the reason it spread throughout China and the rest of the world.  And in Italy, the "red zone" was locked down for a week or so before the rest of the country and many people were able to leave the red zone for other parts of Italy, spreading the virus across the country

And yes we are not enforcing the lockdown in most states the way it is being enforced in the PRC.  Which tbh is a good thing.  At the end of the day if you close the restaurants, private businesses are making their employees work from home, there are no bars and sporting events and stores to visit, people are going to socially isolate for the most part and the spread of the disease is going to be much slower

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Worst case scenario: we'll have to cycle through lockdowns until a vaccine is available. Lockdown for a month-> ease lockdowns for a month.  This will prevent hospitals from being overrun. This is assuming that we don't build immunities after first infection.

This doesn't seem to be the case. I just did some research on it. Apparently patients infected with SARS, which is of close relation to COVI-19 (comes from the same family, so to speak), will be immune to the virus for 8-10 years. From what I've read, immunity from COVID-19 will last at least 1-2 years, which should give us enough time to find a vaccine.

If this is the case, then we can sprinkle in workers who have already had the virus. This is where testing becomes vital because a lot of people don't show symptoms. If people do truly gain immunities, then we can test as many people as possible to see who has had the virus. People who test positive can go back to work after being isolated while those who test negative can stay isolated. This is how the virus will die. It will eventually run out of bodies to spread to, which is what keeps it alive.

Yeah

and I’d argue the cycles will likely be fewer and shorter and likely to be regionally focused given increased immunity, better therapeutics, more awareness, tendency for these diseases to become less severe over time, and hopefully in the short term the positive impact of warm weather 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Hopefully ya'll that need unemployment are having more luck than I am. I've now called over 100 times and have gotten nothing but busy signal for days. 

Same. There's an online option for my state but they're asking about 2018 tax info. I have it in my safe deposit box at my bank. Bank lobbies are closed.