Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

10 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

People sat around early at the local Family Dollar here and ambushed the delivery truck. Police were called into action to break it up. Then police spent the rest of the day running mob control so the truck could be unloaded, the shelves stocked and prevent a Black Friday type stamped through the store.

Yikes. Not good.

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Yikes. Not good.

Im in a remote area. The only supermarket for miles shut their doors yesterday. And wont reopen under new ownership for a few months due to renovations. I guess panic set in for some.

And found out last week after the local counsel meetings. Being so remote. Only 60% of the county has reliable internet. So many arnt able to just make orders like the rest of us here are doing.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Having an anti-virus antibody is a huge first step, but it has to pass tests on specificity, potency, binding affinity and how long it persists in the blood stream
Each of the 4 uses listed above helps and the vaccine is the most potent one of all. If you dose a patient with these anti-SARS Cov2 antibodies, it represents a small army going against a much bigger army because while the virus can replicate and make more - you only have the army you are dosed with. And its hard to give a patient a large enough dose to overcome the viral army without having significant side effects

Well VIR bio recently did a licensing deal with a company called xencor, which significantly increased the half life of their antibodies. That allows their 'army' to remain in the body for longer and kill more virus. That leads to less of their antibodies being administered, which means less negative side effects. 

Xencor uses that technology for cancer treatments (chemo) because you can do chemo less frequently, while still packing the same punch, which results in less negative side effects. 

We have only been developing drugs like this in the last 35ish years. Imagine where we will be in another 35 years, especially with quantum computing and AI being able to model some of this 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Thanks, I understand your view now.

I think this way.

All data currently available is inaccurate and incomplete. Personally I dismiss any data coming out of China. The entire Chinese position seems to be one of politics, not facts.

Deaths that occur due to system limitation are still deaths as a result of the virus. It may increase the CFR but it’s the only measure we have and seasonal flus never overwhelm healthcare systems to the level we see with Covid 19. 

Some countries due to immediate testing were far more successful at containing transmission chains so they are far ahead of the rest from a containment and control aspect.

some countries were/are in denial. It’s allowed deaths to be improperly categorized, increased transmission and created a host of problems.

I’m very skeptical about U.S. numbers right now especially deaths. 

Im enjoying your posts so keep them coming.

Generally agree with you

100% when we look back on this pandemic, deaths due to healthcare system strain count just as much as any other deaths and factor into the CFR 

And I agree the data is screwy so we dont really know... although again I think the data tends to skew towards lower number of cases vs. deaths, because at this point anyone dying of pneumonia in the developed world will be tested for COVID (clearly wasnt the case a month ago)

IMO its helpful to know what the CFR would be if we could treat most people with serious illness effectively, because the social distancing period whether its 1 month or 2 or longer is going to give us time to ramp up production of PPE, ventilators, etc. here and in Europe and other places.  And if the CFR with proper treatment is only 0.2%, then its absolutely appropriate to open society back up once have the tools in place to cope.  Whereas if the CFR is truly 3-4%, thats orders of magnitude more disruptive and you can make a better case for keeping some social distancing measures in place (at least for most at risk populations like 70+) longer to give us time to develop effective therapeutics and get that number down

• Like 3

Also, the silver lining of healthcare workers getting sick in wave 1 is that many of them will be immune for the next onslaught of cases once social distancing measures are relaxed.  Between that and PPE / ventilators / therapeutics, I think we can get much close to the theoretical lower bound of what CFR can be for COVID-19 in wave 2 and beyond.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

is this trending better than two weeks ago or is it still getting worse? 

Its getting better in some places like Italy and parts of New York and getting worse in others like New Orleans and Detroit 

Overall the numbers are getting worse just because this has finally reached critical mass all around the world and we are finally starting to test people, but not getting worse any more than we would have expected a week ago

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Its getting better in some places like Italy and parts of New York and getting worse in others like New Orleans and Detroit 

Overall the numbers are getting worse just because this has finally reached critical mass all around the world and we are finally starting to test people, but not getting worse any more than we would have expected a week ago

We are in the critical stage where the government thinks the infections/fatalities will start to flatten or decrease. In Spain I mean.

• Like 2

I'd like to see numbers on certain medications bring prescribed in the past month, I have a feeling anti anxiety meds are likely seeing a massive increase in usage right now.

It's definitely messing with my anxiety issues and I'm not even particularly concerned about getting seriously ill from the virus or anything, I'm 33 and don't have any serious health issues so statistically speaking I'd likely be fine but seeing the whole world panicky is making my anxiety act up regardless on how worried I am personally.

I don't use anti anxiety meds like benzos personally but that's largely because I've dealt with serious anxiety issues since I was 21, I'm used to it.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, malagabears said:

We are in the critical stage where the government thinks the infections/fatalities will start to flatten or decrease. In Spain I mean.

Last couple days data is encouraging... lets hope... stay safe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, malagabears said:

It'll be a while yet until that happens in the U.S, some locations will hit that mark a lot sooner than others but nationally it's going to take some time... Drawback to being such a massive country.

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

It'll be a while yet until that happens in the U.S, some locations will hit that mark a lot sooner than others but nationally it's going to take some time... Drawback to being such a massive country.

Yep.  The numbers will probably start to look better in a few weeks because the biggest metro area got hit first but its gonna be a while before the whole country is turning the corner.  I'm hoping May.

7 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

A Captain Obvious statement but this thing really explodes in large clustered metropolises like NYC, Madrid, Barcelona, Milán, London, etc etc. Social Distancing is absolutely essential to battle and defeat this deadly beast.

10 minutes ago, malagabears said:

A Captain Obvious statement but this thing really explodes in large clustered metropolises like NYC, Madrid, Barcelona, Milán, London, etc etc. Social Distancing is absolutely essential to battle and defeat this deadly beast.

Yeah I'm glad I live in a smaller rural town now. 

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Why? Rural hospitals are ill equipped and many hve closed

Just seems like the whole social distancing thing is probably easier around here than it would be if I still lived in the Detroit area.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1