Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Interesting that certain states like Texas and Florida have actually prioritize age before even frontline healthcare workers. Strategy wise this should be better right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/florida-texas-vaccinating-people-65-and-older-covid-2020-12%3famp

I'm not sure. This should be coordinated by the feds, so the idea of states starting to do their own thing even if it makes sense might cause more harm than good down the line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not sure. This should be coordinated by the feds, so the idea of states starting to do their own thing even if it makes sense might cause more harm than good down the line.

Yeah, I was worried about that fact.

Edited by Xenos

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I don't think we know how well these vaccines work on those in the age bracket that's being vaccinated now.

Yup
Pfizer enrolled several cohorts of over 65 patients to test 3 dose levels, but they delayed starting those trials until they saw safety signals in the young healthy population. We should start to see readouts on those trials in the next 2 months. Fair guess the efficacy numbers will be lower than what we saw earlier, that's typical for any vaccine in the elderly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Interesting that certain states like Texas and Florida have actually prioritize age before even frontline healthcare workers. Strategy wise this should be better right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/florida-texas-vaccinating-people-65-and-older-covid-2020-12%3famp

Or a method of keeping a reliable bloc of support alive for their current governments.

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

Man they are going quick with the stimulus payments this time, my sister in law already got hers.

Should be faster since this is the second go around.

season 1 starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Xenos said:

I mean if we are trying to protect people from dying as a priority, then vaccinating older people first makes the most sense. If we want the economy back on track first, then I guess essential workers makes most sense. I think Texas and Florida are doing it right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I mean if we are trying to protect people from dying as a priority, then vaccinating older people first makes the most sense. If we want the economy back on track first, then I guess essential workers makes most sense. I think Texas and Florida are doing it right. 

I think my only concern is what @ramssuperbowl99 previously mentioned.

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Yup
Pfizer enrolled several cohorts of over 65 patients to test 3 dose levels, but they delayed starting those trials until they saw safety signals in the young healthy population. We should start to see readouts on those trials in the next 2 months. Fair guess the efficacy numbers will be lower than what we saw earlier, that's typical for any vaccine in the elderly.

Aw man, I was really hoping I could see my grandma after she rcvd the vaccine. Probably best to wait until the data is out, right? Even if it isn't as effective at preventing severe symptoms there should still be partial immunity gained for a majority of those who rcv the vaccine, right? Or am I just being blindly optimistic?

3 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Aw man, I was really hoping I could see my grandma after she rcvd the vaccine. Probably best to wait until the data is out, right? Even if it isn't as effective at preventing severe symptoms there should still be partial immunity gained for a majority of those who rcv the vaccine, right? Or am I just being blindly optimistic?

Nothing wrong with some optimism, especially these days.
You're a Wize Guy, so you know you can't take medical advice from a 2 bit stranger on the internet. That being said - here's an opinion

It will take 3+ weeks for Grandma to make some antibodies post-vaccination and then she'll get a booster shot after that. So I'd wait until both of those are completed before contemplating a visit. The trial data will be informative in the aggregate, but it doesn't tell you how it works for your lovely Grandma.
I don't remember if you've been vaccinated already ? I think yes. In that case, you'll both have been treated and enough time will have elapsed that you both have produced some antibodies to the virus. At that point a visit seems like a reasonable option, but I'd still be cautious and wear a mask and not hang out for 6 hours in the same enclosed room just to be on the safe side.  Best wishes to you and yours

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Whenever your grandma gets vaccinated, see if she can ask either at the site, or maybe through a Zoom call with her doctor? Personally, I think it'd be worth the $25 co-pay or whatever to get a professional opinion from someone who knows her well.

• Like 2