Eli's past couple years + HOF effect

tonyto36

Eli has never been considered a top 5 QB, has never been a first team all-pro, and been to the probowl only 4 times.  He also has two memorable rings, multiple huge playoff moments, and will likely end up top 5-10 in nearly every career passing statistic behind only Brady, Brees, Peyton and Favre.  So the debate about his candidacy has been polarized to start with, but the past four years have been rough for him.

30-36 overall record
110 TDs, 73 INT.
Ratings: 69.4, 92.1, 93.6, 86.0, 83.0
QBR:  42.0, 66.1, 61.0, 51.8

After winning two rings by age 30, in my opinion was only in need of one or two elite seasons to get into the HOF.

Since then he has done TD/INT:

26/15, 18/27, 30/14, 35/14, 26/16, 1/2(this season).  

Many of his earlier seasons actually make that lineup of numbers look good.  

24/17, 24/18, 23/20, 21/10, 27/14, 31/25, 29/16.

Eli has been the model of consistently mediocrely decent with some occasional high points, for a very long time.  After his second SB it seemed like he was a lock to somehow make it in but since the deterioration of the defense + OL, he's done mostly nothing.  

Where do you stand for Eli's candidacy + how the past couple years have effected it.

19 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Eli has never been considered a top 5 QB, has never been a first team all-pro, and been to the probowl only 4 times.  He also has two memorable rings, multiple huge playoff moments, and will likely end up top 5-10 in nearly every career passing statistic behind only Brady, Brees, Peyton and Favre.  So the debate about his candidacy has been polarized to start with, but the past four years have been rough for him.

30-36 overall record
110 TDs, 73 INT.
Ratings: 69.4, 92.1, 93.6, 86.0, 83.0
QBR:  42.0, 66.1, 61.0, 51.8

After winning two rings by age 30, in my opinion was only in need of one or two elite seasons to get into the HOF.

Since then he has done TD/INT:

26/15, 18/27, 30/14, 35/14, 26/16, 1/2(this season).  

Many of his earlier seasons actually make that lineup of numbers look good.  

24/17, 24/18, 23/20, 21/10, 27/14, 31/25, 29/16.

Eli has been the model of consistently mediocrely decent with some occasional high points, for a very long time.  After his second SB it seemed like he was a lock to somehow make it in but since the deterioration of the defense + OL, he's done mostly nothing.  

Where do you stand for Eli's candidacy + how the past couple years have effected it.

Won't be a first ballot, but I predict he'll be inducted before Phillip Rivers is. The New York Football Giants are a storied franchise, and being the all time passing leader has more traction than Cincinnati, Atlanta, and many others. Better postseason QB than Ken Anderson, Tony Romo, etc., and the two wins over New England will help him years from now. In Eli's defense, he did play in old Giants Stadium, which was a difficult passing environment. Giants are off to a tough start, but Eli did lead them back to the postseason last year.

6 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Won't be a first ballot, but I predict he'll be inducted before Phillip Rivers is.

Rivers won't be inducted.

Eli will have to wait a while but his name, market, and the fact that his teams were Belichick-kryptonite at the highest level will eventually push him through.

30 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Lol at the people who think Eli won't get in. He's the younger brother of Peyton Manning and has 2 SB Rings, Two HOF QB Brothers? 100% getting in based on his story. 

He doesn't deserve it, but that's not what the HOF is about.

Exactly how I feel. He will eventually get in, but he doesn't deserve too. His story alone will probably even get him in much sooner as well because I'm sure the media just can't wait for that 3 generation picture to headline their websites. 

Do I think that Eli is a hall of famer? No. I think that Rivers was a better quarterback throughout their careers, and I'm not sure that Rivers is going to get in. Eli has largely been the same quarterback as Carson Palmer throughout their careers with more post season success. I don't think that Palmer is at that line where a super bowl or two would get him in, so I don't see why Eli should get in (again, just my opinion). I don't know that he was truly ever a top 5-6 quarterback in any of the years that he played. Maybe a year or two, but quite frankly that's not enough.

That being said, do I think he'll get in? Yeah, probably. I agree with Dingo that the "story" edge will factor into it - I said the same thing about Frank Gore in the other wr/rb HOF thread. Plus, two super bowl wins over the Pats and Brady...the "idea" of his career when told through the highlights will get him in more than likely, though the real story is not as good. 

If Eli can start every game this season, he’ll have the second best iron man streak for a quarterback behind Favre

2 Super Bowl MVPs

Top 10 in major NFL passing stats

New York Giants 

In 5 years no one will care he was never consistent or even a top 10 QB, they will just look at the stats 

I think he won't or it will be 10 or more years post eligibility. I can see someone fighting for Terrel Davis because he did something nobody ever did and his career being cut short wasn't his fault. Can't see the same groundswell of support for Eli. 

Whats going to kill him is that he doesn't measure up to his peers. Which he doesn't. Troy Aikman was in the ballpark with some of them. Namath was arguably the best AFL QB ever. Eli probably wasn't too 5 any year he played and he's going to lag behind so many of his peers. 

I think I've said it before but if Eli gets in somebody is going to make the argument that Eli is in because Samuels didn't have the ball and Russell Wilson isn't because Malcolm Butler did. 

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Rivers won't be inducted.

Eli will have to wait a while but his name, market, and the fact that his teams were Belichick-kryptonite at the highest level will eventually push him through.

Two words..."Warren, Moon"...two more..."Dan, Fouts"

Regardless of 'eras', Rivers will make it, if those two can. Better TD:INT ratio. More yards. Plus, he led the league in key stats throughout the season like the others did, yet did it in an era with Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and Ben. 

Archived