1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Prediction:  GB is moving on from Rodgers after the 2020 season.

Yes the 2021 cap hit for trading Rodgers is ..... massive at $30+Million,  but getting Love reps on his rookie deal also matters in order to capitalize on the rookie QB contract for those last couple years.

Next years draft class is then foundation for a run at the superbowl in 2022 -2025 years.

Comp picks from bulaga and Martinez paired with picks from a Rodgers trade surrounds Love with players to grow with.  

Bold, but unlikely.  I think the only way the Packers do that is if they're planning on having a tank year in 2021.  You've got nearly $32M in dead cap by Rodgers alone.  Z and Preston Smith are nearly $37M in cap hit in 2021 as well.

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Bold, but unlikely.  I think the only way the Packers do that is if they're planning on having a tank year in 2021.  You've got nearly $32M in dead cap by Rodgers alone.  Z and Preston Smith are nearly $37M in cap hit in 2021 as well.

each year you wait to move on from Rodgers is 1 less year you have to fully assess Love as a potential long term answer at QB and lose another year on the rookie deal.

Rodgers getting a year older decreases his trade value as well.  

Trading Rodgers in March 2021 saves GB $4.7M (at least that is what I am seeing from spotrac).  That gives the 2021 season for Love to gain some experience and prep for the 2022 season and make a run.  

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

each year you wait to move on from Rodgers is 1 less year you have to fully assess Love as a potential long term answer at QB and lose another year on the rookie deal.

Rodgers getting a year older decreases his trade value as well.  

Trading Rodgers in March 2021 saves GB $4.7M (at least that is what I am seeing from spotrac).  That gives the 2021 season for Love to gain some experience and prep for the 2022 season and make a run.  

3 years is plenty to evaluate a QB. We also endure much less of a cap hit after 2021. Think it's just about a guarantee Rodgers gets 2 years. How he plays in those years will determine from there what we do.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

3 years is plenty to evaluate a QB. We also endure much less of a cap hit after 2021. Think it's just about a guarantee Rodgers gets 2 years. How he plays in those years will determine from there what we do.

Yep. You can live with a $17 Million dead cap after 2021. Hell, you can give Rodgers 3 years until it's down to $2 Million and still have two years to evaluate Love if you pick up his 5th year option. Two years is also plenty of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. You can live with a $17 Million dead cap after 2021. Hell, you can give Rodgers 3 years until it's down to $2 Million and still have two years to evaluate Love if you pick up his 5th year option. Two years is also plenty of time.

Did we extend Rodgers half-way through his first year starting? Or am I misremembering?

4 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Between his age, in say two more seasons, and that massive contract, I wonder how much trade value Rodgers would actually have. ? - : #

Favre got a 3rd round pick when the Jets knew it was one year and then the Vikings for him.  I have a feeling based on Brady’s marketing, Rodgers would be worth a second round pick for ticket sales alone.  Especially if the media keeps acting like he’s not regressing.

45 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don’t know anything about the cap. Is the dead cap the same if we trade him?

17 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Between his age, in say two more seasons, and that massive contract, I wonder how much trade value Rodgers would actually have. ? - : #

I believe the team acquiring Rodgers would be 2 years, ~$50M with no guarantee money left on the deal.  The Packers would clear ~$5M, and have nearly $32M in dead cap.  If Rodgers is still playing at this level, he should still fetch a decent package.

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

I am fine with Love as a prospect.  I very much understand the concept of going after a "franchise" QB.

The timing feels 1or 2 years early.

-------------

Prediction:  GB is moving on from Rodgers after the 2020 season.

Yes the 2021 cap hit for trading Rodgers is ..... massive at $30+Million,  but getting Love reps on his rookie deal also matters in order to capitalize on the rookie QB contract for those last couple years.

Next years draft class is then foundation for a run at the superbowl in 2022 -2025 years.

Comp picks from bulaga and Martinez paired with picks from a Rodgers trade surrounds Love with players to grow with.  

It did cross my mind that maybe we should go all-in 2020.  Restructure anyone we can to free up cash and go all out to win a super-bowl.

Then in 21 trade Rodgers, eat the entire hit that year and just tank it. As in, we have no money to spend on anyone so it wouldn't be tanking as such just losing because we haven't got a very good team.

Can then start afresh in 21. With a clean cap, a QB on a rookie deal and great draft position.

Only problem with that is this draft is literally the opposite of what you do if you were going all in. Its more like a tank year draft than an all-in draft.