2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

On Moehrig: He plays pattern-matching out of a 2-high shell at TCU. That means he is reading receivers and not the quarterback when playing safety. I have said this from the beginning--Moehrig is best fit as a split field safety or slot corner. I do not know how well he can transition to a single high role because his the cut-ups do not show enought whether he can or can't. He can run, but be takes bad angles too often for my tastes in the running game, and I consider him an average to weak tackler. Because he doesn't play the QBs eyes at TCU, it's hard for me to gage his instincts when he's playing a position which does not tether him to a specific receiver.

On Rousseau: At first, I liked him as a running downs DE and a pass rushing DT. However, I think his best fit are on schemes that will have him play anywhere from a 5 to 4i on most downs. I think he is a suped up version of Denico Autry or David Irving.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Technique is taught which improves speed. Also if you think Chase Young still runs a 4.94 then I have a ocean side beach house in Arizona for sale 

Chase Young is a rare athletic freak in the top 0.2% of athletes though, so not exactly a good comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think you're right I don't think he ran 40 in college. My bad

No worries dude. Just wanted to make it clear. 

He didn’t run so any numbers you would find would be old or just speculation. He probably planned to run at his pro day, but you know COVID happened 

Edited by agarcia34

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

he plays pattern-matching out of a 2-high shell at TCU. That means he is reading receivers and not the quarterback when playing safety. I have said this from the beginning--Moehrig is best fit as a split field safety or slot corner.

That's all I've been saying this whole time. Yes people say he could transition but at best it's a gamble. We can't do any more draft gambles LOL

Edited by Jeremy408

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Chase Young is a rare athletic freak in the top 0.2% of athletes though, so not exactly a good comparison. 

And the 6'6.5 266 with 34 3/4 arms and 11 inch hands is not a physical freak? He was a WR in high school moved to DE at UM only played 1 1/2 seasons. He's super raw and still puts up numbers.

Are we actually going to draft a DE?  I know we want a pass rush but FS and RT are still glaring holes.  Unless we sign a RT/FS in the 2nd and trade our two thirds to get back into the second for the other position then I think RT and FS is the route we end up going.

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-gregory-rousseau-all-pro-potential-in-miami-edge-rusher

Read this because people are talking about Gregory Rousseau.

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Miami-Hurricanes-Football-2021-NFL-Draft-DE-Gregory-Rousseau-clocks-468-in-the-40-at-Miamis-Pro-Day-163291572/

4.74 40.  Pretty good for a big dude.

"Rousseau's breakout season took a few games to get going. After serving as a key rotational player for the team's first five games, he earned his first career start against Virginia and ended up totaling seven tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in a win over the then-No. 20 ranked Cavaliers. During a two-game stretch against Pittsburgh and Florida State Rousseau was credited with a combined seven sacks."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2938732-gregory-rousseau-jaelan-phillips-shine-at-miami-pro-day-ahead-of-2021-nfl-draft

7.5 3 cone time.  I think that's really bad isn't it?

https://www.stack.com/a/at-the-nfl-combine-the-3-cone-drill-reveals-the-next-great-pass-rushers

Checked if his 3 cone time is bad, he compares to C. Campbell (7.45) and D. Lawrence (7.46).  Two pretty big guys that have been pretty successful.

Edited by Jerry

8 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Are we actually going to draft a DE?  I know we want a pass rush but FS and RT are still glaring holes.  Unless we sign a RT/FS in the 2nd and trade our two thirds to get back into the second for the other position then I think RT and FS is the route we end up going.

Here's the thing: We do have a need it right tackle but at the same time we did play all of last season with Sam young(who is currently not on anyone's roster to show you how bad he is) And we're still able to be a top 10 offense. Meanwhile we were bottom 10 defense last year Because we didn't have an impact player at any level

We also have a defensive scheme now that blitzes is the least in the NFL which means that if we don't get to the quarterback with a front for we're pretty much screwed regardless of who's back there in the secondary. 

Free safety is a need That's another situation where Depending on who's there at 17 we can sign some guys that are available in FA that have had success in the single high safety role(Malik hooker tre boston or Ha Ha come to mind)

Obviously we still need to fill a need at right tackle but how we fill that need this year it's up for debate depending on who is available at 17. I think if Jalen Phillips or Micha Parsons is there at 17 You draft one of them and then you figure RT out later in the draft even if it's some developmental guy that needs to sit behind Denzel good. 

Thats the situation

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'd take Jaelan Phillips if he's on the board and look to address FS and RT via free agency/later in the draft.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Probably not. If I was a betting man I'll say the OT from Notre Dame. No FS in this draft class is worth the 17th pick

2 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Yeah he's not a speed pass rusher but he has a knack for getting to the QB.  In simple terms he has the it factor. In my opinion both him and Zaven Collins just have something extra. They just make plays over and over again.

Maaaaaaan, I'll take me some Zaven Collins.  💰

13 minutes ago, Jerry said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-gregory-rousseau-all-pro-potential-in-miami-edge-rusher

Read this because people are talking about Gregory Rousseau.

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Miami-Hurricanes-Football-2021-NFL-Draft-DE-Gregory-Rousseau-clocks-468-in-the-40-at-Miamis-Pro-Day-163291572/

4.74 40.  Pretty good for a big dude.

"Rousseau's breakout season took a few games to get going. After serving as a key rotational player for the team's first five games, he earned his first career start against Virginia and ended up totaling seven tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in a win over the then-No. 20 ranked Cavaliers. During a two-game stretch against Pittsburgh and Florida State Rousseau was credited with a combined seven sacks."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2938732-gregory-rousseau-jaelan-phillips-shine-at-miami-pro-day-ahead-of-2021-nfl-draft

7.5 3 cone time.  I think that's really bad isn't it?

Phillips was 7.01, and was unhappy with it.  EDGE guys, those shuttle/3 cone times are a MILLION times more important than 40 yard dash.  

Anyone wants to look up the analytics, you don't become an edge bending outside pass rusher with bad 3 cone.  You just don't.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, massraider said:

Phillips was 7.01, and was unhappy with it.  EDGE guys, those shuttle/3 cone times are a MILLION times more important than 40 yard dash.  

Anyone wants to look up the analytics, you don't become an edge bending outside pass rusher with bad 3 cone.  You just don't.  

I'm going to keep adding to that post just for fun.  We'll see where it goes.