2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Honestly.... I’m not advocating for it (as I think round 3/4 is where we should draft a RT of the future and sign a veteran to hold it down for 1 year) but if a RT prospect like Alex Leatherwood or Eichenberg drops to us at 48. I'd take him.

I'm with you on this. Don't believe Brown will be back, and our depth at the position is horrid. A OT with a high pick is definitely in play this year. 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

True... that’s an aspect I never considered.  The opt outs had all year to bulk Up and train.  Thus, it’s possible an undersized guy like Levi O might come into the draft process heavier.  But conversely if he doesn’t it’s a massive knock because if he can’t hold a higher wait without the cardio / strain of a season it’s unlikely he ever will be able to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thank you for the link.

kinda disappointing he only gained 2p 290 is small for a DT, especially one who is 6’3

Not concerned with it personally. He's 22 and will fill out into his NFL frame. Plenty of 3T play under 300 lbs. but 10lbs is easy in an NFL weight program. 

Has the length and quick twitch traits to develop. I like his development potential a lot more than a guy like Barmore

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thank you for the link.

kinda disappointing he only gained 2p 290 is small for a DT, especially one who is 6’3

2nd is a sweet spot for DT- a lot of interesting prospects:

Tufele, Nixon, Onwuzurike,  Wilson, Twyman, Tuipulotu, Shelvin 

a lot of interest names at DT in the second. Shelvin is more of a NT but his projection is a dominant NT. Our defense could use someone who has a dominant ceiling. We could really help out the defensive with going edge and DT in the first two rounds. 

this class also has a few NTs slated to go rounds 3-4 who project to be Day 1 starters. We could let Hankins walk, and save the money for other needs. His PFF grades were bad last year, and our run defense wasn’t all that from the eye test.  

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Honestly.... I’m not advocating for it (as I think round 3/4 is where we should draft a RT of the future and sign a veteran to hold it down for 1 year) but if a RT prospect like Alex Leatherwood or Eichenberg drops to us at 48 I’d take him.

I wouldn’t be surprised, and not bad in the 2nd. Idk about Rt in the first, but getting a stud in the 2nd isn’t bad value. 

35 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

2nd is a sweet spot for DT- a lot of interesting prospects:

Tufele, Nixon, Onwuzurike,  Wilson, Twyman, Tuipulotu, Shelvin 

a lot of interest names at DT in the second. Shelvin is more of a NT but his projection is a dominant NT. Our defense could use someone who has a dominant ceiling. We could really help out the defensive with going edge and DT in the first two rounds. 

this class also has a few NTs slated to go rounds 3-4 who project to be Day 1 starters. We could let Hankins walk, and save the money for other needs. His PFF grades were bad last year, and our run defense wasn’t all that from the eye test.  

Never good to be reliant on a 3rd-4th round rookie to be a starter.

Where does Tedarrell Slaton project to go ? I like him as late round (?) development pick for NT. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I hadn’t read that til now, been busy with work.  That’s gonna cause him to drop heavily... he was probably a possible mid to late 2nd with a good showing in draft process.  Now I can’t see him going before the 6th.

Something like 6th/7th is appealing to me. Not sure how long Achilles take to recover, but a late round stash on PUP while someone like Key plays out their rookie year seems smart. I think he could be a Tanoh Kpassagnon type on our team post recovery.

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Never good to be reliant on a 3rd-4th round rookie to be a starter.

Where does Tedarrell Slaton project to go ? I like him as late round (?) development pick for NT. 

Slaton to me looks like that massive nose that gets hype for being so dang big in college, but doesn't make a real impact at the pro level because everyone is so dang big. Like off the top of my head Mount Cody Terrence Cody, and Daniel McCullers. I think we'd need to go a more athletic route with strength too, but not the pure raw weight type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not concerned with it personally. He's 22 and will fill out into his NFL frame. Plenty of 3T play under 300 lbs. but 10lbs is easy in an NFL weight program. 

Has the length and quick twitch traits to develop. I like his development potential a lot more than a guy like Barmore

What length? He has short arms and is under 6'3

2 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

What length? He has short arms and is under 6'3

Very annoying when you chirp in and I know you've never watched him take a single snap of football in your life. 

I'll just let a professional explain it:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-stock-senior-bowl-risers-tuesday-2021/

Levi Onwuzurike, DL, Washington

Levi Onwuzurike had himself a day. The Washington defensive tackle is incredibly long and explosive, and he was incredibly active getting penetration on the interior. He also used his length to establish a strong anchor in run defense. He can do a better job converting and keeping his balance in the backfield, but he has impressive traits.

Anyway.. he's the best 3T in this draft. That will be apparent come April. He is oozing potential already dominate at the senior bowl practices picking up where he left off. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It’s definitely not a disqualified, but being 290 Is far from ideal.  22 is an average age, it’s not like he’s 20 and underaged.  He should have packed on more muscle in the year he had.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Very annoying when you chirp in and I know you've never watched him take a single snap of football in your life. 

I'll just let a professional explain it:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-stock-senior-bowl-risers-tuesday-2021/

Anyway.. he's the best 3T in this draft. That will be apparent come April. He is oozing potential already dominate at the senior bowl practices picking up where he left off. 

I’ve never seen the small arms thing too.  And not to be racist but not many Africans have short arms.... so until I see an arm length under 32/33” I don’t believe it.