2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Are you sure that Jets didn't send mannequin to Fields' Pro Day? lol.    Speaking of pro day, did Jets attend to Fields' 2nd pro day today?  If no, that leaves T Law and Zach Wilson as top option for #2.

Douglas held a press conference at One Jets Drive today, he doesn't care about Fields.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

He has 10 picks, and if the talent is there, he just might. Especially when it comes to adding protection around Wilson. There is a lot he can do. I can only see him double dipping at OG or LB this year if it was to happen. 

First 6 picks are all I care.  Late round picks can be repeated for either developmental project or special team

14 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

lmao so dramatic. 

I literally just did a mock with Wilson being the pick. I'm not knocking the talent or anything. Just saying that JD could still be doing his research like he was doing when he was at Fields pro-day and it may be too early to assume. Then you come in questioning people's intelligence as if no team in history went another direction from what fans/media thought. But you got it, I'm not going to argue with you about this. 

Not dramatic, I just have no patience for awful takes.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

First 6 picks are all I care.  Late round picks can be repeated for either developmental project or special team

lol Got you. I still can see a possible double dip in the 4th. I'm hoping to find a RG in the draft. 

I disagree with "all-in on offense".  I think the goal of this draft should be to fill the positions of greatest need (OL and CB) with top talent.  If you at #23 you draft and OL, and when #34 rolls around you have a CB with Tier 1 or top of Tier 2 talent you take him.  The offense side of the argument is that you dogmatically take the best RB available.  Suppose that is a big reach at this point.  Suppose a shutdown corner prevents more points from being scored against than a RB scores.   

I have heard "this has turned into a run and gun league where the name of the game is to build an offense that scores points".  That gets negated by good defense.

"Stack your offence this year and work on defense next."  If for a defensive position (ie. CB) of need, the draft is strong this year, but weak next then result is you are getting a lesser talent next year than you would have this year.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I could see Douglas going with someone like Greg Newsome at 23 and then tripling up on offense with the day two picks. Maybe a couple guards and a weapon. 

As could I but if I had to guess it'll be owusu-koramoah.  Seems like a great fit on this defense.

20 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Why dont you like him?

Why do you like Fields?

I feel like Wilson is just a hot name. Fields has all the same tools except he is isn't a one year wonder and has a winning pedigree. Field's performances in big games really sold me too. He's the guy who can carry a team and leaves it all out there every game. I want that.

I think Wilson is new Josh Rosen.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I feel like Wilson is just a hot name. Fields has all the same tools except he is isn't a one year wonder and has a winning pedigree. Field's performances in big games really sold me too. He's the guy who can carry a team and leaves it all out there every game. I want that.

Fields doesn’t have the same tools. I think that’s where the disconnect is among people who evaluate him and those who see the success. 

Where are you getting the Rosen comparison tho? They’re not even close to the same kind of player.

• Like 2

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Fields doesn’t have the same tools. I think that’s where the disconnect is among people who evaluate him and those who see the success. 

Where are you getting the Rosen comparison tho? They’re not even close to the same kind of player.

Fields has a pro grade arm and mobility, and is physically about the same size. I don't see what he can't do that Zach can. If we're talking about some twitch trait or hip mobility, that's whatever to me. Field's can throw the ball all over the field and can run if needed, the rest is game processing.

And I'm just comparing Wilson's hype to Rosen's. People were enamored with Rosen, so much that they wanted him over Sam (and Mayfield), and I think it was because he was the dark horse candidate. Everyone wants unearth the next Mahommes, but I'd rather go the safe route and draft the guy who had sustained success in the NCAA over a guy who had one great year during a season that's already hard enough to evaluate.

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Fields has a pro grade arm and mobility, and is physically about the same size. I don't see what he can't do that Zach can. If we're talking about some twitch trait or hip mobility, that's whatever to me. Field's can throw the ball all over the field and can run if needed, the rest is game processing.

And I'm just comparing Wilson's hype to Rosen's. People were enamored with Rosen, so much that they wanted him over Sam (and Mayfield), and I think it was because he was the dark horse candidate. Everyone wants unearth the next Mahommes, but I'd rather go the safe route and draft the guy who had sustained success in the NCAA over a guy who had one great year during a season that's already hard enough to evaluate.

I won’t get into hype, that’s irrelevant to me. 

However the quick twitch and hip torque is next level for Wilson and that’s one of the many things that separates Wilson as a passer. 

Then you factor in his on the run accuracy, cross body throws, he throws with anticipation, throws his receivers open, off platform, arm angles to fit balls into different areas. He moves defenders with his eyes, kid just does so many things well and has room to grow. And it’s not like he has one year of tape where you can’t see growth, he’s shown improvement over his 3 years. He’s also a threat with his legs and opens up read option and rpo’s.

Then look at how easy he makes the game for his receivers. When they break off their routes they don’t have to wait for the ball because it’s ok it’s way and they just have to locate it and make a play. Wilson doesn’t wait for guys to be open. That 1/2 second difference is huge in the NFL because of fast players react. 

This ain’t to say Fields is incapable or doesn’t have strengths in his game because he does but there’s levels to QB play and Wilson is levels about Fields. IMO.

38 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Bro what? If anything Fields is the big name. #1 overall recruit that went from UGA to OSU, while Wilson was hardly heard of before this year. His play on the field is what propelled him ahead of Fields. 

Fields has also played awful in big games. Also how do you justify the several games he had with UNDER 50% completion And what do you make of Fields ugly, elongated throwing motion and propensity to throw risky passes into traffic? Wilson doesn't do those things and he's superb under pressure, even better than Lawrence (https://youtu.be/I_8V7mPg5F0 - if you needed proof).

And what part of Wilson's game is even remotely comparable to Rosen? They are completely different.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Lost count of how many years I’ve been begging this team to draft a pass rusher early.  It’s crazy but now every time I see us mocked an edge rusher at 23, I hate it because I want a CB or IOL. I have a pretzel in my head. 

I’m right there with you. The addition of Lawson and Curry and the hopeful emergence of Huff and Zuniga makes it less of a need. Also, the Edge class this year is not bad, but it just seems you can get a guy in round 3 that may have as much success as a round 1 pick. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Lost count of how many years I’ve been begging this team to draft a pass rusher early.  It’s crazy but now every time I see us mocked an edge rusher at 23, I hate it because I want a CB or IOL. I have a pretzel in my head. 

Sadly this isn't the best year for pass rushers.