Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

5 hours ago, Elky said:

Maybe from 98-04 (though Jim Johnson's defense deserves more credit), but McNabb was easily Philly's biggest liability after his SB appearance.

Dude, stop. Any QB draftee turning into Doovan McNabb would be an unambiguous positive.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Since when is Josh Allen some great bar of talent to reach?  He was dead last in completion percentage in 2019 amongst qualifiers, 26th in yards per attempt, 24th in passer rating, 30th in yards per game, 23rd in touchdown passes.  The best thing you can say about him last year was that he was middle of the pack in interceptions (15th) and yards per completion (15th).  Statistically, Gardner Minishew was better in about every quantifiable way in 2019.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

So you're just gonna ignore the fact he had more rushing TDs than Lamar Jackson and 500 yards rushing?  Also he had his team in the playoffs while many of those other guys were putting up empty stats on teams that were not in playoff contention and trailing all the time getting cheap completions and yards.

Doubt Josh Allen at your own peril.  He's finally getting some talent around him on offense.  He will only continue to improve.  He's got arguably the best skill set in the NFL at the QB position.  Can't wait to see how he looks with a quality WR to throw to finally. 

• Like 3

Long term, i'm not counting on rushing touchdowns from any quarterback. I'm looking at what they do when they throw.  In an individual season it is important for winning, awards, etc.., but look what that level of running did to Cam, McNabb, RG3 after 4-5 years.  Lamar Jackson has a chance at lasting because he was excellent when he threw the ball last year.  Jackson running for 1200 yards isn't going to last long, but if he can maintain the 66% completion percentage, and minimize the int's like he did last year, he can still be great even when the rushing yards aren't what they used to be.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VanS said:

So you're just gonna ignore the fact he had more rushing TDs than Lamar Jackson and 500 yards rushing?  Also he had his team in the playoffs while many of those other guys were putting up empty stats on teams that were not in playoff contention and trailing all the time getting cheap completions and yards.

Doubt Josh Allen at your own peril.  He's finally getting some talent around him on offense.  He will only continue to improve.  He's got arguably the best skill set in the NFL at the QB position.  Can't wait to see how he looks with a quality WR to throw to finally. 

Buffalo's defense had more to do with them reaching the playoffs. Josh Allen contributed, but he's not nearly as good as you hype him up to be.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VanS said:

Blake Bortles won two playoff games in 2017.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Elky said:

Buffalo's defense had more to do with them reaching the playoffs.

True.  But you still need to move the ball and control the clock to give them rest as well as score some points to ultimately win.  Josh Allen didn't have much help on offense and still found a way to produce.  I love what he's done thus far in his career without much help.  Imagine how good he will be if he actually gets some more elite weapons on the offensive side?  Sky's the limit. 

23 minutes ago, VanS said:

True.  But you still need to move the ball and control the clock to give them rest as well as score some points to ultimately win.  Josh Allen didn't have much help on offense and still found a way to produce.  I love what he's done thus far in his career without much help.  Imagine how good he will be if he actually gets some more elite weapons on the offensive side?  Sky's the limit. 

FALSE!

John Brown and Cole Beasley aren't Moss/Welker, but they're proven competent receivers that produced before Allen. They also invested a third round pick in Devin Singletary who was on pace for 1k yards rushing.

Edited by Elky

53 minutes ago, Elky said:

FALSE!

John Brown and Cole Beasley aren't Moss/Welker, but they're proven competent receivers that produced before Allen. They also invested a third round pick in Devin Singletary who was on pace for 1k yards rushing.

John Brown is not even a quality #2 WR.  Cole Beasley is just a slot.  Devin Singletary is below average at best.  Stephon Diggs will be the first quality weapon he will have on offense.  Also his offensive line has not been that good either.

Josh Allen has been carrying that offense on his back.  Just look at how they have looked the last 2 seasons when he wasn't in the lineup.  In 2018 their offense was completely inept when he was out with that elbow injury.  When he came back they looked like a football team once again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VanS said:

John Brown is not even a quality #2 WR.  Cole Beasley is just a slot.  Devin Singletary is below average at best.  Stephon Diggs will be the first quality weapon he will have on offense.  Also his offensive line has not been that good either.

Brown put up 1k yards on Arizona and over 715 yards in Lamar Jackson' rookie season when all Baltimore did was run. He's not great, but he's light years better than our non-Edelman receivers.

Josh Allen has been carrying that offense on his back.  Just look at how they have looked the last 2 seasons when he wasn't in the lineup.  In 2018 their offense was completely inept when he was out with that elbow injury.  When he came back they looked like a football team once again.

Wrong again!

Buffalo's backups that year were Nathan Peterman and Derek Anderson, who was watching Netflix at home before Buffalo called him. An All-Pro laden offense would struggle with bums like that under center.

Edited by Elky

On 4/30/2020 at 9:18 PM, sshle_ said:

I've watched both these guys throw and from an accuracy standpoint, Fields makes much better throws than Lawrence.  He also sees the field better than Lawrence does. 

A lot of what Lawrence does reminds me of Jameis Winston coming out of FSU. He will not be able to beat teams in the NFL by just throwing deep balls on the outside. 

I'd also say that Fields reminds me a lot of an more athletic McNabb

Lawrence's comparisons:

Floor: Tim Tebow

Middle: Jameis Winston

Ceiling: Athletic Matthew Stafford (very slim chance I see him reaching this.)

Field's comparisons:

Floor: Donovan McNabb

Ceiling: Aaron Rodgers 

Thoughts? 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:15 PM, VanS said:

So I saw Trey Lance (North Dakota St.) near the top of some of the way too early 2021 mock drafts and decided to check him out since I never heard of him before.  Lets just say he immediately impressed me.  So much so that I'm now wondering if he might be a better prospect than Trevor Lawrence.

Trey Lance reminds me so much of Donovan McNabb when he played at Syracuse.  Like McNabb I think he has the makings to be an elite QB in the NFL.  Lance vs Lawrence could be the great QB debate of 2021.

Man, Trevor Lawrence might be the best QB prospect of all time but I guess Donovan mcnabb is better somehow???

At least @sshle_ was talking about Justin Fields' FLOOR, who is a legitimate franchise QB in his own right. 

@VanS is talking about McNabb like it's supposed to convince us that he knows what the hell he is talking about lol 

somehow this D2 QB, that he just watched a highlight video of, maybe has 1-2 similar traits with McNabb - which suddenly makes him better than Lawrence, the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning??? Yeah, ok buddy. Clearly everyone else in the world has it backwards, you're the only one who sees things for what they are. Give.me.a.break. 

Clearly vans wants to be internet famous on a anonymous forum. Did you hear about that one time he picked a player from his favorite school to do well in the NFL it worked out?? How about all of the other times he's made these types of outlandish statements? Oh wait. 

Cant you just say you like him as a prospect instead of going way over the top and comparing him to someone clearly superior or saying "player X is the best player in the entire draft" when really they are like a 3rd or 4th round pick who COULD MAYBE ONE DAY, if things go right, become a probowl caliber player? 

Muhammad Ali made big boasts and backed them up... VanS, not so much 

BOOM, roasted

Edited by N4L
  • Like 4

NFL Network draft analyst Bucky Brooks, former NFL scout: “Trey Lance could emerge as a contender for the No. 1 spot due to his combination of athleticism, poise and playmaking ability. He reminds me a lot of Deshaun Watson with his style of play. He can carve you up from the pocket or use his legs to create plays on the perimeter. He takes good care of the ball. Most important, he wins. With NDSU producing pros at the position, scouts are going to take him seriously as a prospect, and the NFL’s shift towards more athletic playmakers at the position could help him climb the charts.”

https://theathletic.com/1791794/2020/05/05/2021-nfl-draft-top-quarterback-prospects-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields/

• Like 2