2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Didn't you say that if you pick after like pick 25 it doesn't really matter what position anymore?

Yes, but if we want to win a Super Bowl we need to fill one of those holes or we won’t win a Super Bowl.

We have zero money for free agents.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

1. IDL
2. OT
3. CB

I will accept no other position in round one or I'm quitting again. 

Those are my top 3 positions as well (top 2 are CB and IDL), but a sneaky no. 3-4 is Edge if P. Smith is cut. After Z and Gary, this team doesn't have another Edge player on the roster who's even playable right now. With as much as Z plays inside, you need a good No. 3 Edge player. 

JJ Watt's coming home as a vet min so we can put off IDL for another year or two. 😉 

Zaven Collins in the 1st is my ideal target. A do it all EDGE/LB. 

Second round round, get me one of Dillon Radunz or Brady Christiansen.

Third Round, Ifeatu Melifonwu is the toolsy, development type. In the mean time, bring in a vet to cover CB2 on a 1 year deal. 

Fourth Round is where you find a WR in this class - Surratt, Newsome, Smith-Marsette, etc.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:36 AM, CWood21 said:

How quickly you forget how good AJ Dillon and Josiah Deguara looked in limited time.  Let's just draft WRs with all of our picks.  That wins championships.

I don’t forget. I said above that the criticizing the Dillon pick is already dumb because he’s looked great when on the field. And yes Deguara looked like he could be something as well.

I think I posted this within a day or two of the NFC Championship, so that would explain my need to just generally complain about something/anything.

Cut me some slack here! If there was something not to cut me slack on, it was bypassing the expletive-filter by pretending I’m Irish. For the infraction, I’d like to issue myself one formal warning, and note to myself that any further attempts to bypass this groundbreaking technology will result in an indefinite Josh Gordon-like suspension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

They still have to be worth the pick. 

Correct.

But worth the pick plus worth the cost and makeup of extremely limited cap space.

Rodgers almost 100% will have to restructure or do another deal.  Even so, if we pay him to be the best, he has to be the best, and that’s with less help.  He’s got Tonyan, Dillon, Bakhtiari, Adams, Jenkins, MVS, Lazard, Deguara.  That’s enough investment for him to be all he needs to be.  You can live with giving him more time and more protection.  Can’t live with giving him that much investment for a skill position.

The defense is 100% losing Preston Smith, Christian Kirksey, Kevin King, maybe even Adrian Amos.  You can’t drop four starters on defense without adding at least one. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Correct.

But worth the pick plus worth the cost and makeup of extremely limited cap space.

Rodgers almost 100% will have to restructure or do another deal.  Even so, if we pay him to be the best, he has to be the best, and that’s with less help.  He’s got Tonyan, Dillon, Bakhtiari, Adams, Jenkins, MVS, Lazard, Deguara.  That’s enough investment for him to be all he needs to be.  You can live with giving him more time and more protection.  Can’t live with giving him that much investment for a skill position.

The defense is 100% losing Preston Smith, Christian Kirksey, Kevin King, maybe even Adrian Amos.  You can’t drop four starters on defense without adding at least one. 

Drafting for need early never ends well unless you move around to get that guy. It’s fine later on but 1-2 round picks should be your top guy regardless of position. (IMO)

However, I totally agree we need help at those positions. I hope we can keep Amos as I feel he is the most reliable at his position. 

So, who are your guys who will make a difference with our first 3 picks? Say you can move up 3-5 spots and give up a couple picks?  

Reality is the Packers need some ammunition.

Or they're going to come crashing back down to Earth.

Cannot sustain consecutive Championship game exits.  Especially not while paying your QB top dollar and not having any draft capital from a trade or something.

This is all the more true with the lowered salary cap.

If we can't get over the hump paying Rodgers 21 million, there's literally no possible way we can get over the hump paying him 37 million dollars in a reduced cap year.

I don't care what string of luck happens.  It will not happen. 

That's the biggest reason this loss hurt worse than any other one since The Great Sorrow. 

This year was our best and only chance on Aaron's current contract.  Everything was built for this year. 

Without a restructure or a new deal, 2021 is a wasted season.  It would literally be better for us to fall apart completely, have Jordan Love get in a few games and show us what he has and make us decide between him or Aaron.

So we have to trade Love or trade Rodgers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Correct.

No way Amos is going anywhere. Guy was 2 votes shy of All-Pro. The others you listed, yes. 

If I'm the Packers at this point, cut some fat off the team and restructure who you need to restructure, let Linsley and Jones walk, load up on defense in the draft (my first 3 picks might be CB , IDL and EDGE) with an OT and RB mixed in the middle rounds. Use the money they were going to pay Jones to sign the best WR you can get in FA. Not a Golladay or Robinson but a Marvin Jones type. Packers still need that guy IMO, especially to beat an aggressive man defense like Tampa. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Amos will be back.  Don't be dramatic.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does GB even target WR in the draft or FA with Adams, Lazard and MVS seeming pretty set and Funchess presumably coming in?  I would not be at all surprised if Gute runs this same group back + Funchess. 

The idea is they're gonna extend Davante.....but wouldnt this be the draft where they select a "down the road guy?"

Kinda feel that Davante's here as long as AR is.....but since ARs future could be in doubt.....maybe DA waits on that extension.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Amos will be back.  Don't be dramatic.

Every other year I would agree, but this is a reduced cap post covid season.

Nobody knows anything this year.

Also, you have to wonder what might have happened this season if the Packers drafted for 2020 instead of 2021 and beyond, don’t you?

Brooks, Queen, Igbinoghene, Higgins in one... Someone other than Dillon in two.

Based on how this year ended, this draft is going to forever have an asterisk no matter how Love/Dillon turn out.  Didn’t think that at all until 5 points kept us from the Super Bowl.

17 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

1. IDL
2. OT
3. CB

I will accept no other position in round one or I'm quitting again. 

Agree on those needs and value. Kind of depressing that we need to draft a CB again after the capital invested in the position. At least we got a true stud in Jaire I suppose.