2020 Green Bay Packers OL

Shanedorf

13 hours ago, VegasDan said:

Stenosis is the best OLine coach we have had in a long time. I realize it is also a function of offensive scheme,  but I have seen good play by everyone. I expected the lack of a preseason, that it would be spotty play, but that isn't the case at all. OL, more than anyone, need the reps playing together to get the assignments, adjustments and especially the timing down with their unit.

Therefore, I would let Bahl walk if he demands top dollar. Would love to keep him, he is playing very well this season. Last 2 seasons, I thought he was slipping. Put the money into extending our CBs, and put some draft capital into our OL and count on the coaching staff to get them up to speed. 

He's doing a good job, but as you said it's partly scheme that helps him and we've had some other very good OL coaches where a scheme put a ton of extra pressure on the OL... so I'm not ready to put him over as the best yet.

I also don't think Bak has slipped or change as much as he was absolutely perfect for the old scheme which put so much pressure on the pass blocking which is his absolute strength, and he might be the best pure pass blocker I'm the NFL.

LaFleur's system doesn't play to his strength as often, but he's still the same guy.

They probably need a good LT, even if it's not Bak, I doubt they'll let Bak get away, and I wouldn't let him walk... if nothing else, Franchise Tag and trade. But probably more like resign.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Considering the cap situation next year, at what point is it okay to advocate for a tag and trade of Bak?

Elite LTs like Bak don't grow on trees.  Billy Turner looked serviceable because he was up against the Texans who aren't anything special outside of Watt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Elite LTs like Bak don't grow on trees.  Billy Turner looked serviceable because he was up against the Texans who aren't anything special outside of Watt.

Elite LTs are nice but:

-He'll be 30 in the year and OL typically fall off 31/32

-He wants 20M+

-We're tight on the cap

-Outside of Philly, has any top end super bowl team paid top of market tackle money recently?

-Teams are focusing their pressure now winning up the middle now due to there being more quick passes (like Tampa did against us and the vikes before this year with double A gap blitzes). 

I like Bak, but there is an argument that isn't crazy for moving on from him.

11 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Elite LTs are nice but:

-He'll be 30 in the year and OL typically fall off 31/32

-He wants 20M+

-We're tight on the cap

-Outside of Philly, has any top end super bowl team paid top of market tackle money recently?

-Teams are focusing their pressure now winning up the middle now due to there being more quick passes (like Tampa did against us and the vikes before this year with double A gap blitzes). 

I like Bak, but there is an argument that isn't crazy for moving on from him.

I could see it if they think Jenkins can be LT. If they are crazy high on him at that position... you can move on from Bak to save money and not pay a premium for that position.

Plug Runyan into LG next year and you have your left side for the next decade.

13 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I could see it if they think Jenkins can be LT. If they are crazy high on him at that position... you can move on from Bak to save money and not pay a premium for that position.

Plug Runyan into LG next year and you have your left side for the next decade.

Huge Jenkins fan here.  

But, if they thought he was a LT, he would have played LT yesterday.  Instead they moved Turner over.  Results were fine.

So...if you were to move on from Bakh...which I am NOT advocating for, but if they do...

LT: Turner  LG: Jenkins  C : Patrick  RG: Runyan  RT: Wagner

That honestly scares me some.  Much can and will change, but as of now, that is a "no thank you" from me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Huge Jenkins fan here.  

But, if they thought he was a LT, he would have played LT yesterday.  Instead they moved Turner over.  Results were fine.

So...if you were to move on from Bakh...which I am NOT advocating for, but if they do...

That honestly scares me some.  Much can and will change, but as of now, that is a "no thank you" from me.

Would flipping Turner and Wagner make this look more comfortable short-term?

I honestly think Runyan can play RT if he develops, but I doubt that's in the team's plans.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Huge Jenkins fan here.  

I don’t know if I agree with that. They did in the early going , move Jenkins to tackle. Mostly because I think they weren’t sold on Wagner yet.

So I think they look at Jenkins as capable at the position. I think for the rest of the season they just want to leave him there because they have an all pro at LT, LG and C. That’s valuable.

Given a whole offseason and camps etc and having him start day 1 at LT likely changes their thinking, again if they really want to save money by not paying Bak.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Would flipping Turner and Wagner make this look more comfortable short-term?

I honestly think Runyan can play RT if he develops, but I doubt that's in the team's plans.

No.  One of them starts, the other is first guy off of the bench at tackle.  That would be very good.

Think about this....if Bakh is gone.  And you are starting Wagner and Turner at the tackles...next tackle off of the bench is what, Nigman?

And don't tell me that it's Jenkins that goes out there, because Patrick is already at center and Runyan is at guard.  If Jenkins flips out, that leaves another hole inside.

Again, much can and will be done for next year, but I think you gotta bring Bakh back.  Easier to replace a guard than it is a tackle.

And so far....the signing of Wagner has paid out big time.  Never complain about investing dollars in the offensive line.

35 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. They did in the early going , move Jenkins to tackle. Mostly because I think they weren’t sold on Wagner yet.

So I think they look at Jenkins as capable at the position. I think for the rest of the season they just want to leave him there because they have an all pro at LT, LG and C. That’s valuable.

Given a whole offseason and camps etc and having him start day 1 at LT likely changes their thinking, again if they really want to save money by not paying Bak.

Did Jenkins flip out to right tackle or left tackle?  I thought right tackle.

RT and LT are pretty different skillsets.  Though I do feel like Jenkins can play LT, I also feel like that is his worst position on the line.  And, to be fair, I thought Turner would be a trainwreck out there, and his was just fine.

• Like 2