Who is on the "hottest" of seats going into 2020?

MikeT14

6 hours ago, winitall said:

Oh, and literally one season where the starting QB is completely healthy going into the game would be nice. 

He was healthy going into the Game this year. Michigan fans were hyping him up cause he was playing lights out the previous two games before. Prolly his best 2 game stretch in his career 

On 5/29/2020 at 7:57 AM, JammerHammer21 said:

OSU has basically been on a planet only occupied by Alabama and Clemson. They have never been bad other than one year where they had an interim coach. They started way ahead of Michigan, and as much as Michigan has moved forward, OSU has moved forward even further from where they were. Michigan's baseline was dumpster fire, OSU's was top 5 program.

Isn't Harbaugh like 2-12 vs top 10 teams?  This isn't just about Ohio St.  You went 2-4 vs top 25 teams last season.

I get finding his replacement looks to be a monumental task.  It's just wild seeing fans and the administration settling for the status quo of not being an alpha.  There is no rivalry lately beyond the tradition so I guess it makes sense. Then again, as a Bama fan I can easily say our in state rivalry pretty much supersedes other dynamics except championships.  Even when one team is down and the other is up, both teams are always a threat to each other.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thrILL! said:

.  It's just wild seeing fans and the administration settling for the status quo of not being an alpha.  

Right? Especially when you're getting pretty solid recruits. I'd personally expect more from a top-tier program and if it were OSU in this situation, I'd be looking for an alternative

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Right? Especially when you're getting pretty solid recruits. I'd personally expect more from a top-tier program and if it were OSU in this situation, I'd be looking for an alternative

I mean, this is pretty much what OSU did with John Cooper and Tressel, who I am pretty sure was not a beloved hire at the time because he wasn't proven at the highest level. He had a mediocre first year by OSU standards, but obviously the win over Michigan was massive. Then he wins a national championship year 2 (again beating Michigan in a close one), and things were obviously going to be fine then.

Michigan was in a fairly similar situation year 2 under Harbaugh, even with the Iowa loss. Do they manage to beat Wisconsin again, go to the playoffs, and avoid getting Clemson'd like OSU did? I don't know, but at the least, a victory over OSU and maybe a Big Ten title probably gets some recruits on the edge on-board. Instead, they lose a heartbreaker, and follow it up with the goddamn John O'Korn year, again losing a heartbreaker of a game to OSU that could have been another massive turning point.

Michigan in the early 2000s was not the level of death star that OSU was when Tressel took over. Tressel obviously instilled a culture predicated on beating Michigan right away, but man, imagine if he catches one of the better two Michigan teams that sandwiched 2001 (curse you for signing Drew Henson, George). Could have changed it all. In the end, made the most of the opportunity and turned OSU back into a machine.

To wrap it up, I think Michigan has proven they are not too big to fail. Wrong hire, and they genuinely suck. Like I've said, there's a breaking point. Get killed by OSU in a similar fashion again, and I will almost certainly be on the fire Don Brown train and getting to feel like it's time to start considering options after a year if Brown's replacement still can't help close the gap, but a coaching search without a clear candidate is a nightmare, and I'm not sure there is a clear candidate. Who is the best option? Fleck or Campbell? Whoever you replace Harbaugh with has to be able to beat OSU, and like I've said, I'm not sure who is out there that has shown the capability of doing that when they take over Michigan. Their last coaching search was quite literally Harbaugh or bust. Not sure who the Harbaugh is this time that makes the risk worth it.

10 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Whoever you replace Harbaugh with has to be able to beat OSU, and like I've said, I'm not sure who is out there that has shown the capability of doing that when they take over Michigan.

You touched on this at the beginning of your post. Did Tressel show the capability of beating Michigan on the biggest stage when he was hired out of Youngstown State? How about Ryan Day? He was never a head coach before last season. Did he show the capability of doing what he did last year? My point is, there are guys out there who can succeed at Michigan. I don't know who they are, but they are out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam21 said:

You touched on this at the beginning of your post. Did Tressel show the capability of beating Michigan on the biggest stage when he was hired out of Youngstown State? How about Ryan Day? He was never a head coach before last season. Did he show the capability of doing what he did last year? My point is, there are guys out there who can succeed at Michigan. I don't know who they are, but they are out there. 

tell them to get luke fickell i know he is 0-1 vs OSu but i want him the hell out of Cincy. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam21 said:

No, but a Tressel-type hire at a school of OSU (or Michigan's stature) would not happen today.

Ryan Day was pretty much hand-picked by Urban Meyer and had proof of concept in blitzing teams as the offensive mind that year. There was a clear upgrade when Day took over.

Posting this just as an example of why most Michigan fans like Jim Harbaugh more than the national media and other fan bases might assume. The man is definitely weird, but he attempts to understand the issues that his athletes face. Things like this, his outspoken support for reducing transfer restrictions, support for name and likeness rights, and taking the players on the international trips. He cares about his players and takes stances most high profile coaches don’t, which really fits in well with a lot of the fan base. 

• Like 4

I will admit though, if Harbs has to go because he can’t beat OSU, James Franklin does too. He’s 1-5 against OSU.

Wisconsin has only beaten us once since 2007. The only guy who kinda had success was Mark Dantonio at 3-8 and his teams have been freaking smoked the last few years.

I think Harbs is the right guy. He just needs to find an NFL caliber QB.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Wisconsin has only beaten us once since 2007

It's crazy how often we **** down our legs vs you guys. Have had numerous chances to win but always find a way to blow it. Two games I always know we'll derp in...Ohio State and the Rose Bowl.

• Like 1

The lack of parity in CFB is truly amazing. You essentially have two elite teams:

Alabama/Clemson

And Clemson while clearly an elite program, gets the benefit of sleep walking through their conference and doesn’t get beat up the way other programs do.

From there, you have OSU as the #3 program year in and year out, followed by Georgia and then OU.

The SEC is clearly very competitive at the top with Georgia, Florida, and Auburn. They have some solid middle tier teams like A&M, and recent UK. 

It’s honestly unfortunate for everyone that FSU/The U aren’t what everyone thought they’d be, and VTech isn’t what they were under Beamer Ball. On paper those ACC teams were supposed to be big draws from the old Big East/ACC.

The B1G perennially has a lot of physical teams and perennially “solid” teams, making it tough to play week in/week out, whether it’s PSU, Wisconsin, UM, and occasionally MSU, especially on the road, with Minnesota looking to be on the upswing. Nebraska has been a huge disappointment.

OU has the benefit in playing in a conference that doesn’t play defense, and the PAC hasn’t been the same since USC was sanctioned and Chip Kelly left.

In all reality, CFB as a whole needs the following programs BACK (for real):

Notre Dame

Nebraska

UM

The U

FSU

Tennessee

Texas

USC

...and it needs some of those other middle tier teams like Va Tech, MSU, and about 3 PAC teams to be 10 win teams again.

• Like 2

I am saying this as a fan of the University of Michigan Wolverines.

No intelligent fan wants Jim Harbaugh gone after this year. It's been said that if you do that you're just sending every other coaching candidate the message that "If you don't beat Ohio State, you're gone." That's a tall hill to climb. I hate OSU but the program is run exceptionally well and is a consistent top 3-5 program recruiting wise. That will only change in Michigan's favor if they can start to nab a few wins, or maybe Ohio State on a down year where they don't make the playoff. Winning does change everything, mind you. Not only that, I think there's a lack of great options going forward in the coaching pool, and unless the boosters get behind a big name hire, the situation will be no better than Charlie Strong at Texas. Dismissing a third coach in about 12 years or so will be the worst thing that could happen to the program. Shows inconsistency and shows a restlessness.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

It's crazy how often we **** down our legs vs you guys. Have had numerous chances to win but always find a way to blow it. Two games I always know we'll derp in...Ohio State and the Rose Bowl.

The big 10 championship game was the perfect summary of the series.

Just pretend the 2nd half never happened.