Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

On 1/16/2022 at 1:15 AM, Awsi Dooger said:

The old Bud Goode standby of Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential once again did a great job identifying NFL team strength. The top 11 teams made the playoffs. I keep an eye on this all season because it tends to shake out that way. Only two teams with a negative net advanced, the Titans and the Steelers.

But there are no dominant numbers. Lots of good but not great teams bunched between +1.0 and +1.9..

The Chiefs have a very low number 0.0 because Mahomes fell way off this season in YPA:

http://mule.he.net/~budsport/pub/killer.php

I think Mahomes’ low ypa is both a reflection of how defenses have played him this year , and his “slump”.

Hes seeing light boxes at an almost 75% rate, everybody is dropping back deep to shorten the field and make him play the patient long game. 

Chiefs adjusted and were seeing his YPA slowly climbing back up

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Still a long way to go to reach #1, but he’s off to a good start. 

Manning was an amazing regular season player.

He was great in the 2nd half of the 2006 AFCCG.

He set all the records.

He was also one-and-done 9 times in 15 playoff years.

As a playoff QB he had 3 very dominant games (Denver x2 in 2003, 2004, and Red Carpet D 2003)

12 TDs to 1 pick in those 3.

He was a 28 TD 26 pick QB in the other 24 playoff games.

Its not a quirk that he did not rack up the Expected Points Added.

This thread is obviously normally new stats, but in browsing around on PFR, I came across the 1970 playoff game between the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys. Craig Morton started at QB for the Cowboys, going 4 for 18, for 38 yards, with an interception, and 1 sack for a loss of 16 yards. A whopping net 22 passing yards. Cowboys won, 5-0. A simpler time.

Craig Morton in general has just the most hilariously bad set of playoff performances imaginable, for a guy who really played in a lot of playoff games.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, The Guy said:

I thought with how little they used him this year, that loss wouldn't be all that big. Holy hell was I ever wrong. They were just miserable without him. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back...KK's "Kyler figure something out!" gameplans coming back to bite them in the end....but yeah, Hop was an awful loss. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I forgot Michael Thomas even existed. What's the deal with him these days?

Hurt his ankle week 1 of the 2020 season, played through the pain for part of that season. He should have gotten surgery on the ankle right after the season completed, but opted to go against medical advice to have surgery and waited several months right before this season started to finally get the surgery as his ankle didn't heal correctly. Was supposed to comeback about halfway through this season, but had a setback on his ankle when he was about to get designated to return and I believe had to have more work done on his ankle.

In other words, it has been an absolute roller-coaster with him the past 2 seasons for an injury that if handled better, likely would have only cost him the 2020 season, but due to decisions that he made wasted almost 2 years of his prime. That said, he's still relatively young and should be back next season, so hopefully he can get his career back on track.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I thought with how little they used him this year, that loss wouldn't be all that big. Holy hell was I ever wrong. They were just miserable without him. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back...KK's "Kyler figure something out!" gameplans coming back to bite them in the end....but yeah, Hop was an awful loss. 

I think over time here we're figuring out that what wins at the highest level in the league offensively now is the stud QB/receiver combo.

Brady/Evans, Allen/Diggs, Mahomes/Kelce, Stafford/Kupp, Murray/Hopkins, Rodgers/Adams.  That covers all the current best teams in the league.  And Burrow/Chase aren't far behind now.  Someone might even make a case for Garoppolo/Samuel.

21 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

This thread is obviously normally new stats, but in browsing around on PFR, I came across the 1970 playoff game between the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys. Craig Morton started at QB for the Cowboys, going 4 for 18, for 38 yards, with an interception, and 1 sack for a loss of 16 yards. A whopping net 22 passing yards. Cowboys won, 5-0. A simpler time.

Craig Morton in general has just the most hilariously bad set of playoff performances imaginable, for a guy who really played in a lot of playoff games.

A couple points on this. 

First, Landry kept Staubach in limbo by using 2 staring QBs in Morton and Staubach.

Smart coach, stupid move.

Second, I was looking at the history of the Cowboys and found this nugget.

No Cowboy QB has gone one-and-done more than 2 times in the history of the franchise.

That's crazy for a team that lived in the playoffs for 30+ years.