Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

And before someone at's me, there is no correlation between YPG or yards per rush and any QB stat. Not even play action. You could play action to a full back or barry sanders and there is no difference in how a defense responds.

Largely because most football players are conditioned from 10 years old that if the ball looks like it is going to be ran, you step forward. If it looks like a pass you step back. So the agenda of play action is not dependent on the person toting the rock. 

I'm so looking forward to the eventual and inevitable shift when coaches overwhelmingly STOP teaching this. Will running the ball become more effective than passing? How long does it take to get to that point? It is so interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, minutemancl said:

I'm so looking forward to the eventual and inevitable shift when coaches overwhelmingly STOP teaching this. Will running the ball become more effective than passing? How long does it take to get to that point? It is so interesting.

They already kinda dont do it for Mahomes, unless the Chiefs establish a few successful runs. Defenses are so afraid of getting bombed on that they ignore the running game until its an actual problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

They already kinda dont do it for Mahomes, unless the Chiefs establish a few successful runs. Defenses are so afraid of getting bombed on that they ignore the running game until its an actual problem. 

I'm not talking about when some teams do it in certain matchups; I'm talking about when there is a total ideological shift across the league.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not talking about when some teams do it in certain matchups; I'm talking about when there is a total ideological shift across the league.

7 on 7 is becoming huge. Its always been a thing, but now scouts go to the national champ in college station (source, me, was emailed by a scout after my son played in it lik 3 years ago). The point being, 7 on 7 is all pass. Its a way to recondition the mind from a middle school all-run programing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Well once everybody gets a Mahomes, then that’s when you’ll see it😂

19 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I remember those 2006 Steelers being disappointing but I just skimmed their season on pfr and they weren't even that bad even when they were 2-6 and they pulled it together for an encouraging end to the season. Beyond getting decidedly swept by the Ravens, it looks like they were just really inconsistent after their Super Bowl win.

Any Steelers fans have some quick commentary on this year? I vaguely remember the game where they lost to a real real bad Andrew Walters-led Raiders team, but both Raiders touchdowns were pick 6's and the Raiders offense actually didn't do anything.

Edited by Fray32

52 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

7 on 7 is becoming huge. Its always been a thing, but now scouts go to the national champ in college station (source, me, was emailed by a scout after my son played in it lik 3 years ago). The point being, 7 on 7 is all pass. Its a way to recondition the mind from a middle school all-run programing. 

Oh, the proponents are absolutely there, just not in the NFL yet. The main factors will be the old school football guys, who exist en masse and in power in the NFL, leaving to make way for younger, more forward thinking guys who are champions of things like you mentioned. I don't think any of these old guys are going to drive this type of innovation. The NFL on the whole is way behind modern times of other professional sports leagues, like MLB and NBA, and they are even behind the big college football programs.

46 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well once everybody gets a Mahomes, then that’s when you’ll see it😂

Is Mahomes the only one who runs RPOs or play action?

• Like 2

Its weird how every NFL QB does not have a 120 rating on play action. Its also weird that they don't all run 35 play actions a game if its the holy grail regardless of team talent and production.

Maybe its a philosophy thing where lots of coaches and QBs don't like wide open routes over the middle.

Imagine believing that crap just so you can love your special boy.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I’m Gen X, thank you. 

Ive never been able to reconcile my image of you as a goth with black bands and also being a largely successful individual who is self made. 

So I  will keep calling you a boomer because the internet has deemed that a no-fault insult. 

5 hours ago, Fray32 said:

I remember those 2006 Steelers being disappointing but I just skimmed their season on pfr and they weren't even that bad even when they were 2-6 and they pulled it together for an encouraging end to the season. Beyond getting decidedly swept by the Ravens, it looks like they were just really inconsistent after their Super Bowl win.

Any Steelers fans have some quick commentary on this year? I vaguely remember the game where they lost to a real real bad Andrew Walters-led Raiders team, but both Raiders touchdowns were pick 6's and the Raiders offense actually didn't do anything.

Ben Roethlisberger took a Chrysler New Yorker to the face in the offseason. Missed the first week, Started off with 0 TD and 7 INT in the first 3 games he played and didnt exactly set the world on fire after that. Willie Parker was the offense that year and had his best season. Defense took a step back from 2005 as well. Chris Hope left in FA to the Titans, Ryan Clark wasn't quite Ryan Clark yet. Troy Polamalu missed some time and played injured most of the year. Ike Taylor got benched for a few weeks in the middle of the season. Pass rush was not great but it was Joey Porters final season in Pittsburgh leading to James Harrison becoming the full time starter in 2007 so that was a little bit of good out of it. Really boils down to Ben having his worst season as a pro, probably shouldn't even have been on the field as early as he was. 

• Like 1