What team unexpectedly collapses this year

patriotsheatyan

15 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

As for regression:

New England looks 7-9 or 8-8 to me now. The COVID opt out guys were the final straw.

On offense they lost the GoaT, Cannon, Karras, and the best O-line coach in football.

They lost like 7 of their top 16 contributors on D (5 starters)

• Hightower
  • Van Noy
  • Collins
  • Chung
  • Harmon
  • Shelton
  • Roberts

Guys like Harmon, Chung, and Roberts were not studs like the rest but they knew exactly what to do in that system after doing it for years.

Their top 4 secondary players are still very good but I don't think any other Patriots unit would crack the top 12.

Andrews will more than negate the Karras (who is a backup Guard) loss, but I agree with your post. That record is exactly where I have them and have had them for weeks now.

We can't overcome our roster and hit our usual stride.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Absolutely!

Jimmy G took his team to a Super Bowl.

• He had that game in New Orleans.
  • He is 21-5 / 2-1 as a starter.
  • He's a 67.5% passer.
  • He has a 100 career rating 
  • He has 7 game winning drives in 26 career starts.
  • The 49ers are 4-20 without Jimmy G the last 3 years and 19-5 (2-1) with him.

Other than that... he is trash? 😂

He played poorly in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl.

Ask Dan Marino, John Elway, Jim Kelly, and many others if a bad Super Bowl makes them bad QBs

Fran Tarkenton played badly in three Super Bowls too, but I still wouldn't mind having a prime Tarkenton on my roster today. 

Jimmy G. may not be Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady yet, and may never be, but he is also a decent QB who could certainly get them there if he can get back to the big game again.  He's good enough to get the job done.  There are only so many all-time great QB's to go around, and just because a team doesn't have one of those rare birds, that doesn't mean they should kick a guy to the curb just because he is merely "very good" and not all-time great.

Perfect example of bad analysis:

• Jimmy G sucks because his team dominated Green Bay twice so he did not have to throw for 300 yards each game.

Here is the reality of GB vs SF in 2019:

Jimmy G was 14 for 20 for 253 and 2 TDs in the first game.  (Rodgers went 20 of 33 for 104 yards and a TD.)

• 70% completions (Rodgers was 60.6)
  • 12.65 yards per pass (Rodgers was 3.15)
  • 145.8 rating (Rodgers was 75.8)
  • No turnovers (Rodgers lost a fumble)
  • Jimmy G only had 2 passes in that 4th quarter and they were clock killing 3rd down conversions on a 10 play 6 1/2 minute TD drive.
  • He could have easily thrown for 300 if they needed it but his superior play earlier meant they did not need it.

Jimmy G was the better QB that day and he earned the home field advantage.

A-A-Ron cried about home field after the NFCCG as if he was not a major factor in why that game was in SF in the first place. 

Edited by SkippyX

6 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Jimmy G was 14 for 20 for 253 and 2 TDs in the first game.  (Rodgers went 20 of 33 for 104 yards and a TD.)

I fixed your post. You did provide a perfect example of bad analysis. In case you forgot, Rodgers had to go against the 9ers defense. The same defense most people considered the best in the NFL. Not that the Packers D was shabby, but it wasnt on the same level. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

• Jimmy G sucks because his team dominated Green Bay twice so he did not have to throw for 300 yards each game

That's not even close to being the reason why most people think Jimmy is very average, and does not suck. It's much more than that. 

46 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

• Jimmy G sucks because his team dominated Green Bay twice so he did not have to throw for 300 yards each game.

Here is the reality of GB vs SF in 2019:

• Jimmy G only had 2 passes in that 4th quarter and they were clock killing 3rd down conversions on a 10 play 6 1/2 minute TD drive.
  • He could have easily thrown for 300 if they needed it but his superior play earlier meant they did not need it.

Jimmy G was the better QB that day and he earned the home field advantage.

A-A-Ron cried about home field after the NFCCG as if he was not a major factor in why that game was in SF in the first place. 

Idk that the majority of NFL fans/analysts think Jimmy G sucks. There were a few chowderheads on ESPN the day after the SB ripping him for that throw he missed, but I think most view him as a solidly above average QB, which is what he is. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, Forge said:

Still not really a thing

I think this myth stems from a stretch in the early to mid 2000s when you had a string of SB losers struggle the next season, and the SB “hangover” was born. 

Those stats you posted about recent SB losers not really struggling the next season surprised me so much that I looked up teams going all the way back to the 90s. The overwhelming majority of teams coming off a SB loss remained pretty good to great the next year, and really that run in the in 2000s really sticks out as a weird anomaly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Stephen Colbert Popcorn GIF

Explain why?

I think Baltimore is a VERY good team and I suppose in reality it depends on what your truly mean as a collapse. But i do believe defenses will make major adjustments to the style of offense Baltimore runs and the Read-Option success will not be found as easily. I am not yet a true believer in Lamar Jackson as a pure passer and if he is forced to be one, I believe the offense could face struggles.  Yes I'm aware of his passing stats with high % passes in a option based offense. Thats to Baltimores credit in putting him in the best position to succeed. But I also look at last year as Lamars true rookie season, which to be fair makes it that much more impressive. I do think a Sophmore slump is possible.

(The more obvious answer is NE tbh)

30 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

if its obvious would it really be unexpected? 

posters here have had a really tough time answering with the way this question is phrased.
Instead of "unexpected collapses", we're getting "expected regressions." 
Those aren't meeting either criteria, but that's the bulk of the answers in this thread.

• Like 1

Ill go with Green Bay.  But thats more of a expected regression.

Others for unexpected collapses would be SF--they had so many players playing at maximum level last year I dont know if they can duplicate that again.

Another would be MIN-- Kirk Cousins is still a wild card to me each week and they lost their #1 WR. Also with all of the losses on defense with Waynes, Rhodes, Griffen, Joseph, Sandejo Im not sure their defense will be able to stop anyone. Could easilly be a 5-11 team.