Is Matt Ryan a HOFer? If not how close is he?

Archimedes

On 7/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, Xmad said:

Who won a super bowl? 

I rest my case. 

Joe Flacco is one Colin Kaepernick goalline touchdown away from having zero Super Bowls.

Matt Ryan is one ridiculous greatest-ever comeback from having one Super Bowl.

Your judgment on who the better QB is rests on a dice roll at the hands of fate?

• Like 3

Ryan is going to be an interesting case study. Moreso than even a guy like Rivers given that he has that MVP, and we've had some spirited Rivers HOF debates in the past, I'm pretty sure. I do think the super bowl would have cemented it for him, so I think he's somewhat close. 

i know that a lot of people are bringing up that he wasn't a top 3 quarterback and stuff like that, but man, that's really hard in an age where you no doubt had 2 of the top 4 quarterbacks of all time, one of the top 3 most talented quarterbacks of all time in Rodgers, plus Drew Brees during the same run. And despite that, he still did manage to get an MVP season, which isn't a terribly small feat. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Joe Flacco is one Colin Kaepernick goalline touchdown away from having zero Super Bowls.

Matt Ryan is one ridiculous greatest-ever comeback from having one Super Bowl.

Your judgment on who the better QB is rests on a dice roll at the hands of fate?

I hate to tell you this but I'm talking about results not "COULD WOULDA SHOUDLA".

14 hours ago, Forge said:

i know that a lot of people are bringing up that he wasn't a top 3 quarterback and stuff like that, but man, that's really hard in an age where you no doubt had 2 of the top 4 quarterbacks of all time, one of the top 3 most talented quarterbacks of all time in Rodgers, plus Drew Brees during the same run. And despite that, he still did manage to get an MVP season, which isn't a terribly small feat. 

I agree, and that’s why I mentioned Jim Kelly. I remember watching Jim Kelly during his career and at no point did I ever think he was a top 3 guy, but I also always felt like he was a great QB. Moon too. Sometimes there’s nuance to these guy’s cases.

That MVP he won was huge to me. If not for his defense having a historical collapse he’d almost certainly have a SB MVP too. I feel like he’s had a great career that has just been mostly overshadowed by some generational talents.

• Like 1

The only case for Matt Ryan is his numbers, and that's only when comparing it to history. They aren't even that good when compared to his contemporaries, which is what ultimately should matter when it comes to the hall of fame. Success compared to your peers.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 8:11 PM, Archimedes said:

If you think Kelly and Fouts don't belong in I don't really care about your opinion on the matter because you're wrong. If you think they do belong in but their resumes are somehow significantly superior to his you're wrong, and again, I don't really care about your opinion on the matter. 

Then again, you just used the rather lame Jimmy Garaoppolo example, so I think I don't really care about your opinion on the matter.

NM...

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

On 7/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, eagles18 said:

I dont think i've ever seen Matt Ryan ranked in the Top 5 QBs since he's been in the league. 

That's because people underrate him because he makes things look easy. They also have this ridiculous idea that Julio Jones or Roddy White or Calvin Ridley or Tony Gonzalez or Austin Hooper or Devonta Freeman are what made him good. But the common thread here is that none of these guys except for Tony Gonzalez was considered a top player at his position until after they started having balls thrown to them by Matt Ryan.