Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

My question is why don't we have a indoor facility?? I know certain teams in certain parts of the country have indoor fields. Minnesota has one I believe. I know the team in Washington has one as well. But I feel like that should be the norm professionally. Almost every P5 school has one but few professional teams do. Seems very backwards to me...

Because you don't need one here (until these fires). It's sunny 300+ days out of the year. 

Those other places have them because they don't want guys practicing in the snow or super humid places. The weather is perfect here basically year round. 

I don't think any school in CA has an indoor facility. 

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

As long as air quality doesn't go about 200 they are fine. We have still a few weeks no need to to swap anything.

200? Lol it's dangerous well before that. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

However, the sun is pretty rough there and it's a valid complaint. I went there in November and December and even though it was cooler, the sun was still distracting. Seems like there was a choice made to sort of..make fans deal with it, not so much a design oversight because you have to be levels of stupid to not think about sun patterns But it was a pretty positive expirience for me both times...despite one bing that awful CJ Beathard Dallas game. . 

Would have been an easy fix, to flip the stadium around down the middle of the field. Then most of the fans would be in the shade and the luxury boxes with air conditioning could have had awnings 

26 minutes ago, N4L said:

Because you don't need one here (until these fires). It's sunny 300+ days out of the year. 

Those other places have them because they don't want guys practicing in the snow or super humid places. The weather is perfect here basically year round. 

I get the weather aspect to it but just to be better prepared. It can help prepare you for loud dome stadiums on the road. You have a indoor field to pipe in crowd noise for a week. Not too mention it can help maintain your grass practice fields over the course of a 16 game season. 

9 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

On a somewhat related note, I don't know why we didn't build a dome with a retractable roof when we built our new stadium. From what I understand day games at Levi's are brutal with the sun beating down on people. I guess the appeal is it looks beautiful out there, but man I've been to a couple Rockies games out here in Denver and sitting out in the sun kind of takes some of the fun out of the event. I've never been to Santa Clara, or California for that matter, so maybe you guys could shed some light on that. 

Because we're the 49ers and not some little sissy dome team? :) 

Chiefs fans pack Arrowhead every year in the midwest blaze. But Californians can't take a little sizzle? OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Not a big fan of domes. Sure they look slick and nice but they have a very impersonal feel to them for me. Almost like being in a huge warehouse. I just prefer being in the open with the elements. Takes me back to being a kid, playing backyard football and such. Just how I feel the game should to be played. In the cold, in the heat, in the rain, in the snow, etc. Not in a enclosed carpet with climate controlled conditions. Indoor fields are useful and have their merits in certain sections of the country. But open air stadiums with natural grass will always  be my preference.

Dome teams also always seem to lose in the playoffs for whatever reason. It's rare they win it all. I think the 1999 Rams, 2009 Saints, and 2006 Colts are the only domed teams that have won. I don't count Dallas since Texas stadium had a huge hole in it. The 2006 Colts are the only team to win a road playoff game outdoors I believe, to get to the Super Bowl, and won the Super Bowl outdoors. 

I would hate to be a dome team traveling on the road outdoors in the playoffs. History at least wouldn't be on your side. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Because we're the 49ers and not some little sissy dome team? :) 

Chiefs fans pack Arrowhead every year in the midwest blaze. But Californians can't take a little sizzle? OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Haha I grew up in South Dakota on the Missouri River. Somehow it’s hotter in the summer (also way more humid) and way colder in winter than it is in Denver where I’ve been for the last 7 years or so. SDSU (South Dakota version) has an outdoor stadium as well. 

51 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Haha I grew up in South Dakota on the Missouri River. Somehow it’s hotter in the summer (also way more humid) and way colder in winter than it is in Denver where I’ve been for the last 7 years or so. SDSU (South Dakota version) has an outdoor stadium as well. 

Yeah, I grew up in Iowa on the Mississippi River and the weather is so brutal. 90+ degree heat and nearly 100% humidity is "normal" in summer. Then comes winter with the -30 degree wind-chill and several feet of snow. But hey, autumn is beautiful! We are moving up to Rochester, MN in a few months though and winter is going to be even worse.

• Like 1

Updated 53 man roster projection from Maiocco. Pretty standard, a few changes from last time. 

We're definitely going to be letting go of a couple of promising young players...such is life when the roster is good. Hopefully we'll be able to sneak everyone we want on the PS. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-roster-projection-mid-camp-prediction-53-man-squad-2020-season

35 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Updated 53 man roster projection from Maiocco. Pretty standard, a few changes from last time. 

We're definitely going to be letting go of a couple of promising young players...such is life when the roster is good. Hopefully we'll be able to sneak everyone we want on the PS. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-roster-projection-mid-camp-prediction-53-man-squad-2020-season

Yeah Wilson won't be on PS if he's cut. How different a week is with Pettis went from going to probably be cut to now will be a starter. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Waiting to hear that he tore a labrum while putting on the jersey 

Seems to me we just replaced our entire training staff to cut down on all these injuries, which doesn't seemed to have helped all that much. I wonder why we've had such bad injury luck across multiple coaching staffs recently. I realize you are making a joke about how often Reed gets hurt, but is there a more snake-bitten franchise when it comes to injuries that the Niners over the last 10 years?  

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

What's up with Bosa he hasn't practiced since mid last week. They called it rest day off but now it's been like 3-4 practices he's missed.

Cam says it's a leg injury (presumed). My guess is that it isn't very serious and they just want to make sure he's right for the season opener. I'm all for getting Nick to 100% for the season, he doesn't really need the reps. 

• Like 1