Vikings Trade for Yannick Ngakoue DE

CriminalMind

25 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Yep yep. me too and it isn't even close. Our OC has also shown that he can plug and play RBs. Like I said earlier, this is all predicated on both players doing well this year and the team needing to choose between the two. That is a somewhat unlikely set of circumstances but if it comes to that keeping Ngakoue would be an easy choice for me.

Let's find a way to keep both of them. If Cook has a great year and drives the offense like he did last year why would you want to show him the door?

However, if it came down to whether the team only had enough for either Ngakoue or Cook next year, I'd sign Cook because he's good/great at every facet of the position. I disagree that you can just find anyone to be that guy. The Niners are an outlier and teams apparently couldn't figure them out. They blew it against the Chiefs when they stopped running the ball in the 3rd qtr. Cook is too good in this scheme to let go. He'll prove it again this year so long as he stays healthy -- and if he did what more would there be to criticize?

1 hour ago, babababa said:

Let's find a way to keep both of them. If Cook has a great year and drives the offense like he did last year why would you want to show him the door?

However, if it came down to whether the team only had enough for either Ngakoue or Cook next year, I'd sign Cook because he's good/great at every facet of the position. I disagree that you can just find anyone to be that guy. The Niners are an outlier and teams apparently couldn't figure them out. They blew it against the Chiefs when they stopped running the ball in the 3rd qtr. Cook is too good in this scheme to let go. He'll prove it again this year so long as he stays healthy -- and if he did what more would there be to criticize?

For sure. Ideally the team gets one or both of them to sign a contract so they can franchise the other. Of course, we shouldn't lose track of the fact the team may need the tag for Harris as well.

I think that Cook is great and I never meant to criticize him. I simply don't value the RB position as highly as the defensive line or the offensive line. That is not a criticism of Cook. The problem is a commentary on the salary cap era. You can't pay for premium players at every position so you have to prioritize positions. When a team doesn't have enough good choices they can keep everyone but for a team with multiple good players and not enough money to sign them all they should need to consider their long-term philosophy. For me, that is the trenches.

• Like 3

Harris, based on all the moves that have been made, is pretty much gone after the season, unless he's willing to take a contract awfully similar to what he's already being paid.  And I think that would be a difficult thing to occur based on what Budda Baker just got paid for being a lesser safety.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Would you guys have traded Dalvin to Jacksonville for Ngakoue and Fournette, no draft picks?

I understand that cost-wise, we don't have the cap room. Just a hypothetical scenario because I'm procrastinating on writing something for work. 

Cook for Fournette straight up could have been semi-realistic due to scheme fits.

But we weren't getting 2 for the price of 1.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:18 AM, SemperFeist said:

I’d say it’s a bargain only if they get a long term deal done next year. 

While I would certainly say giving up a 2nd for a one year rental of a player of Ngakoue’s talent is worth the risk, if he’s not here in 2021 I’d say the deal was equal. 

If Ngakoue leaves after 1 year, The Vikings get an extra 3rd Rounder as compensation,  that also tends to make the 2nd and 5th for only a 1-year rental palatable, especially to keep The Vikings' chances for the playoffs decent during this single transition year before the newly-drafted group can adjust fully to The NFL game (especially because they won't have much pre-season work, and no pre-season games due to Covid-19).  Having BOTH Hunter and Ngakoue coming from the outside, and Odenigbo from the middle, on 2nd and long and 3rd and long, will help out the young corners during their learning period, which, without Ngakoue, and Hunter ALWAYS being doubled, would have allowed the better QBs to continuously shred The Vikings' defence.  WITH Ngakoue, the opponents' QBs will be constantly running for their lives, and when not getting sacked and fumbling, will be throwing the ball out of bounds, into the turf, or into the waiting arms of a Viking defender.

Therefore, grabbing Ngakoue is a good move whether he leaves after 1 season, or not.  I'm so glad the Vikings didn't have to give up a 1st-Rounder to get him.  Fitting both him and Cook in long-term will make the team's salary structure even more top-heavy than it already is (which is already a small problem), but because of the team's transition to a much younger lineup, all the first-contract players that will be added over the next 2-3 years will help allow The Vikings to keep Cousins', Cook's, Harrison's, Hunter's, and Ngakoue's big long-term contracts IF they want to.  And if Pierce returns in 2021, and their young corners progress the way we hope, The Vikings will again have a Top 5, smothering defence.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Has Yannick participated in training camp yet?

No. 

Had to have three days of negative tests in a row before joining us, and the team was off today in terms of practice. Depending on when the first test was, maybe tomorrow or Friday?

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

No. 

Had to have three days of negative tests in a row before joining us, and the team was off today in terms of practice. Depending on when the first test was, maybe tomorrow or Friday?

He probably had nothing better to do than study the playbook 

• Like 1