Fournette signing with the Bucs

Drained

10 hours ago, Gmen said:

Stats like "broken tackle", "on target pass", "catchable pass", and "dropped pass" can actually be fairly subjective. 

What is a broken tackle?  Do you literally have to be in the grasp of a defender and break out?  If a defender gets a hand on you, is that a broken tackle?  What if you juke a defender and he doesn't touch you at all?  And even if it were defined consistently, it's still subjective.

This has more to do with my ongoing dislike of subjective player grading, than it does to with Fournette.

I know this is late, but in three different sources have three different numbers for broken tackles. I have no dog in the fight just that it is a subjective stat. The PFF one that stated their numbers and then these two...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/rushing_advanced.htm

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player-stats.php?type=advanced&view=rushing

• Like 1

Leonard had the deck stacked against him moving forward. His running style is ancient, and even then he wasn't exactly gliding through defenses or breaking tackles. Even though he caught 70 plus passes last year, that just isn't his game. Not sure what his contract situation was, but with a new offense coming in, perhaps the Jaguars just cut their losses early. Not sure if Leonard will ever be a starter again. The days of Eddie George type backs where you could grind it out 350 times a year, and not be a major factor in the pass game are largely over. He's only 25 though. Someone suggested backing up Henry in Tennessee. Might be a good idea. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I honestly could see this being it for him. He was released after camp and just before real games start being played. Evaluations are mixed but most agree he isn’t a speed or power back. Not a 3 down back, had fumbling issues and lacks elite vision. Sounds like Melvin Gordon but with the additional label of being a malcontent. The market was really soft for Gordon and he is a fantastic teammate and professional. Maybe if a team loses its main guy but he’s behind the power curve when it comes to learning a playbook for a new team. He might sit the year and that never bodes well for running backs. 

48 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Leonard had the deck stacked against him moving forward. His running style is ancient, and even then he wasn't exactly gliding through defenses or breaking tackles. Even though he caught 70 plus passes last year, that just isn't his game. Not sure what his contract situation was, but with a new offense coming in, perhaps the Jaguars just cut their losses early. Not sure if Leonard will ever be a starter again. The days of Eddie George type backs where you could grind it out 350 times a year, and not be a major factor in the pass game are largely over. He's only 25 though. Someone suggested backing up Henry in Tennessee. Might be a good idea. 

I think a lot of people are making assumptions based off of Fournette's college days. Yet again, Fournette is a good all-around HB in the passing game. He can pass block, and he's proven himself to be a solid and reliable check-down option (76 receptions in 2019). The question is how good of a runner he can be. The Jaguars OL and scheme have been somewhat problematic over the past few years. I think it's fair to wonder what he could do behind better blocking in a better scheme. Maybe he is just a grinder. Or maybe, like a bunch of talented HBs (Marshawn Lynch, Gurley, Faulk, Bettis, Ricky Williams, Thomas Jones, etc.), he'll prove that he's a better player than originally thought once he's put into the right offense. I wish the Jags had cut him back before the Draft. Part of me thinks the Rams might have scooped him up and not drafted Akers.

I read 14 pages about his receiving ability and finally someone said he's a good pass blocker. Man, right at the last post I read lol people always discount that part but it's very important, especially when you have a qb that likes to throw down field like minshew 

LF is serviceable at actually catching passes. He's basically average at it imo. Can do it, won't do a ton with it after the catch because hes not great in space. He's not someone I dump the ball off to on 3rd and 15 and expect anything besides punt. (Kamara is a guy who can convert that from time to time)

He's also not tipping your hand. There are guys who are useless in the passing game who allow defenses to find tendencies with formations etc. LF may not be a "good" receiving back, but he contributes enough (with his pass blocking!) to be part of a balanced offense 

If there was a stat in football similar to wins above replacement, LFs would be very low. He doesn't make a lot of plus plays that go beyond what an average player would be able to do, despite his stature. Vision problems don't help. He doesn't make a lot of guys miss. His role is the battering ram to wear down defenses. 

He's good in a platoon and honestly I think he ends up in Seattle. He's such a seattle type player, how does no one else see this?

Weird dude, not a good teammate, wants an organization to "support him" - check 

Physical freak who looks the part - check 

Injury history - check 

I mean, it's honestly a match made in heaven. Seattle loves signing running backs 1 week before they play a game and have a revolving door at RB, a beefy OL, downhill rushing attack, and are good enough he might get more money on a bigger deal later. 

It's gonna happen, but only after @Forge drops him from his fantasy team 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think a lot of people are making assumptions based off of Fournette's college days. Yet again, Fournette is a good all-around HB in the passing game. He can pass block, and he's proven himself to be a solid and reliable check-down option (76 receptions in 2019). The question is how good of a runner he can be. The Jaguars OL and scheme have been somewhat problematic over the past few years. I think it's fair to wonder what he could do behind better blocking in a better scheme. Maybe he is just a grinder. Or maybe, like a bunch of talented HBs (Marshawn Lynch, Gurley, Faulk, Bettis, Ricky Williams, Thomas Jones, etc.), he'll prove that he's a better player than originally thought once he's put into the right offense. I wish the Jags had cut him back before the Draft. Part of me thinks the Rams might have scooped him up and not drafted Akers.

Rams definitely make sense as a landing spot I think.

It's not like your RBs have stood out that much that you can't bring him in on a cheap deal, right?

Chicago has potential connections to Fournette from Allen Robinson and our current qb coach DeFilipo, who was the Jags OC. 

When their primary back in Montgomery being hurt, and still of questionable actual talent himself, and no one of note behind him, grabbing Fournette makes sense. 

That said, we already criminally under utilize our run game under Nagy overall for even one main guy, let alone when we theoretically also are supposed to be doing a few plays a game for Tarik Cohen and Cordarelle Patterson out of the backfield as well. 

We also have an impressively atrocious offense line and like trying to run outside constantly with two of the league's worst offensive tackles on nearly exclusive zone concepts, when Fournette needs more inside runs with a power scheme. 

Finally there's the caveat that Nagy really really loves RBs with a reputation for being good pass catchers, which Fournette is not considered to be, despite him getting solid amount of receptions... And despite the fact that we don't actually pass the ball to our running backs all that often. 

TLDR is that I really doubt he's going to end up a bear, or that he's going to be well used even if he does come here.... But I'd make the move on the waiver wire, as I think the team needs rb depth and a heavier running focus, particularly with such a strong defense and such mediocre at best qb play. Basically as an armchair gm I'd feel compelled to make the move, but I can easily see him struggling hard here with our frankly baffling offense/ offensive coaching that insists we air it out 40x a game Wyeth a journeyman qb. 

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Washington have the second pick on waivers, have to think there’s a decent chance they nab him after cutting Guice. If not them, I think he gets united with Tom Brady in Tampa

Think it's more likely no one claims him and he signs for less later.