2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

Been watching a ton of Trevor Lawrence lately...we really are going to need a HC who can get the best out of him. We will also need to continue to stack the interior Oline before anything else. Lawrence has similar escape-ability and athleticism as Darnold does but Lawrence nearly always has a clean pocket to throw from. He has a pretty big arm but I could honestly care less that is the most ridiculously overrated trait a QB has. The more I watch the more I think he gets slightly overrated. He makes some big throws but his receivers stand out on his tape more than his throws do. Its hard to tell how he can recognize coverages and go through progressions for the fact that hes typically able to deliver passes to the first read whose usually open or if its single coverage he gives his WR a chance to make the play. Having 3 years of starting experience in a heavy motion spread offense that is pretty creative (must be nice) is great for the fact that if given the protection, he could come in and be adequate immediately and not turn the football over. I think if he was in Darnolds current situation he might actually be worse however.

The biggest issue is that Darnold has 1 year left on the rookie deal and his mechanics and field vision have severely regressed. As someone who is 50-50 on what to do if we draft 1st overall, I just cant tell you with certainty Lawrence has better tools than Darnold. I think its going to come down to the other elements such as the fresh start and rookie deal as well as a new HC who wants to have his guy and have a clean white canvas. Essentially everything else is a wash. Jets have a QB who is worth developing and with proper coaching and protecting could develop into one of the games better QBs...but will the next HC want the project of fixing him or starting from scratch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Been watching a ton of Trevor Lawrence lately...we really are going to need a HC who can get the best out of him. We will also need to continue to stack the interior Oline before anything else. Lawrence has similar escape-ability and athleticism as Darnold does but Lawrence nearly always has a clean pocket to throw from. He has a pretty big arm but I could honestly care less that is the most ridiculously overrated trait a QB has. The more I watch the more I think he gets slightly overrated. He makes some big throws but his receivers stand out on his tape more than his throws do. Its hard to tell how he can recognize coverages and go through progressions for the fact that hes typically able to deliver passes to the first read whose usually open or if its single coverage he gives his WR a chance to make the play. Having 3 years of starting experience in a heavy motion spread offense that is pretty creative (must be nice) is great for the fact that if given the protection, he could come in and be adequate immediately and not turn the football over. I think if he was in Darnolds current situation he might actually be worse however.

The biggest issue is that Darnold has 1 year left on the rookie deal and his mechanics and field vision have severely regressed. As someone who is 50-50 on what to do if we draft 1st overall, I just cant tell you with certainty Lawrence has better tools than Darnold. I think its going to come down to the other elements such as the fresh start and rookie deal as well as a new HC who wants to have his guy and have a clean white canvas. Essentially everything else is a wash. Jets have a QB who is worth developing and with proper coaching and protecting could develop into one of the games better QBs...but will the next HC want the project of fixing him or starting from scratch. 

Yeah... That is frustrating.   I only can see 2 things that make T Law edge over Darnold.  Quicker thrower and strength for all the field.  Whatever we say about HC and T Law can apply to Darnold as well.

Despite there was just small highlight of last year, Darnold looked good when IOL held up; less happy dance.  While Darnold is not an universal qb Jets should fix IOL immediately to see if Darnold is still our franchise qb from today before deciding what pair should be for next year and beyond that.  No excuse as JD promised Darnold to fix the OL.

Also, I read somewhere that as a member of Eagles organization, Darnold was their top QB for 2018's qb draft class. Dunno if I believe him since he said the same thing about Robby Anderson and Jamal Adams. 

Edited by JetsandI

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I don't think JD has anything to do with the gameday planning and personnel usage on the field.  I am sure he didn't call down to the field and demand Becton go in.  gase has full control on Sundays.  JD is just an observer.

JD did involve with those 4 players last year.   I still blame Becton thing on JD because he should be inactive for this recent game.

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If we pick 1 and Jax top 5 can we get their two 1s, two 2s and a future 2nd? 

Depends, because if they have a shot at Fields or Lance and like them, they may sit at their pick. We will need QB1 to really light it up and make teams want to risk it all for him.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If we pick 1 and Jax top 5 can we get their two 1s, two 2s and a future 2nd? 

Looks like it will be a battle of NY for the #1 pick. And neither team technically thinks QB is the issue as of right now. So it could be interesting.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Looks like it will be a battle of NY for the #1 pick. And neither team technically thinks QB is the issue as of right now. So it could be interesting.

Gettlemen would be fired, Douglas wouldn't. So I think the Giants would definitely pick a QB. Us? Not so sure.

If we land the 1st pick we are taking Lawrence.  Sam has been so bad passing on the best prospect since Luck in hopes Sam improves is a terrible idea.

We can fix this offense in one offseason with the resources we have and draft Lawrence.  Hopefully by the end of the year we have a few long term OL pieces and Mims is the real deal then by adding a WR in FA, grabbing a WR and RB in the half of the draft, along with a day 1 starting OG we could see real improvements in the offense.

The D can wait until 2022.  We need to surround the QB with talent and really develop one for the long term.

24 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we land the 1st pick we are taking Lawrence.  Sam has been so bad passing on the best prospect since Luck in hopes Sam improves is a terrible idea.

We can fix this offense in one offseason with the resources we have and draft Lawrence.  Hopefully by the end of the year we have a few long term OL pieces and Mims is the real deal then by adding a WR in FA, grabbing a WR and RB in the half of the draft, along with a day 1 starting OG we could see real improvements in the offense.

The D can wait until 2022.  We need to surround the QB with talent and really develop one for the long term.

Ya I think this is the case. As much as I dont think its Darnold whos really to blame... if we are set to get Lawrence... it's too good to pass up. Trade Darnold for a 2nd (hopefully pre draft) and just load that offense up with talent. Imagine landing the 1st pick and trading Darnold for a 2nd and coming out of the 1st 4 picks with a new QB, WR, RB and OG. That'd be great. 

If we have the first pick then it’ll take a lot of guts not to pull the trigger on Lawrence. This franchise is still haunted by passing on Dan Marino almost 40 years ago, Peyton Manning staying in school and then letting ATL jump in front of us to take Brett Farve. 

Darnolds best chance to survive and be the man here would be for us to get the second pick. Not sure the league sees Justin Fields or Trey Lance as slam dunk franchise QBs. But some teams would still give up a good haul to trade up, and whoever our new coach may be might feel better off with Sam than one of those guys.

Keep Sam, trade back and pick up more assets and let’s continue to build with JD and a new coaching staff.