2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

For the last seventy year only one QB who came out of USC and became a franchise QB was Carson Palmer all the other failed in the NFL or were career backups He is list of their top 10 QB in USC history Pete Beathard, Mark Sanchez ( had two good years with the Jets) John David Booty, Paul Mc Donald, Vince Evans, Pat Haden, Matt Leinart, Rob Johnson ( better than average back up ) Rodney Peete (another good back). I have no idea where Darnold will end up on this list.  With all the great players who came out of USC why no great QB ? 

This is a tired argument. You know how many great QBs came out of Texas Tech? One. Is Tua going to bust because Bama historically doesn't produce top NFL QBs?

It's all about the player and the situation they walk into when entering the NFL, not about there college program. If Darnold had what Mahommes had in 2018 with Reid, Kelce, Hill, Conley, Watkins, Hunt, and that beast OL we'd be talking how he's our franchise QB. Not saying he'd be breaking records and winning SBs, but he'd definitely be top 15.

We've given Sam 0 to work with and while we have an OL right now, trotting out Hogan and Crowder as our big 1-2 punch isn't helping anyone. Darnold isn't the guy because we need an elite talent at QB to even get by. Darnold isn't at that level and might be doing worse with us than he would somewhere else because he can't take the time to learn - the pressure on him is unreal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is a tired argument. You know how many great QBs came out of Texas Tech? One. Is Tua going to bust because Bama historically doesn't produce top NFL QBs?

It's all about the player and the situation they walk into when entering the NFL, not about there college program. If Darnold had what Mahommes had in 2018 with Reid, Kelce, Hill, Conley, Watkins, Hunt, and that beast OL we'd be talking how he's our franchise QB. Not saying he'd be breaking records and winning SBs, but he'd definitely be top 15.

We've given Sam 0 to work with and while we have an OL right now, trotting out Hogan and Crowder as our big 1-2 punch isn't helping anyone. Darnold isn't the guy because we need an elite talent at QB to even get by. Darnold isn't at that level and might be doing worse with us than he would somewhere else because he can't take the time to learn - the pressure on him is unreal.

I am going to stop you right there, What about my favorite JET  JOE NAMATH. and what about Richard Todd another good Jet QB both out of Alabama.  And what about Kenny Stabler, also out of Alabama.

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Just so frustrating year after year that this franchise has not been able to find a true #1 WR. Sure we’ve had some one hit (year) wonders (Plaxico, Santonio, Marshall) and some nice #2 caliber guys (Chrebet, L Coles, Robby). I would argue we haven’t had a homegrown, consistent star receiver since Al Toon. Ridiculous. 

Darnold was terrible for most of that game Sunday, no doubt,  Its looking more and more that he’s not someone who can raise the game of his supporting cast. If management view him as a player like that, then the kid doesn’t have a chance. He needs help, and he isn’t getting any, at least not this year.  I know it’s week one and I keep hoping I’m wrong, but times running out. 

The reason is somewhat simple.  The Jets do not draft WR in first round.  Here is the list of 1st WR in all of Jets history.  Jerome Barkum ('72), Lam Jones ('80), TOOOON ('85), Meshawn ('96), Santana Moss ('01).  Except for Jones, all may be considered #1 WR although Moss may be stretching that IMHO.

We have a chance to correct this next draft.  If Sam is to remain QB, look for J'marr Chase.  He will be a #1.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I am going to stop you right there, What about my favorite JET  JOE NAMATH. and what about Richard Todd another good Jet QB both out of Alabama.  And what about Kenny Stabler, also out of Alabama.

Richard Todd?  Pffft.  However, you did forget Bart Starr.