Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

35 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

For what it’s worth, Wagner had a pretty respectable 79.8 PFF grade for this week.  

And I think he will be the RT the rest of this year. Turner will come back and be the RG.

But next year and on... I think Jenkins slides to RT, the value is just there and honestly if Jenkins wants to make the most money he should want to be the RT for the next 10+ years. And like I mentioned before Runyan will be the new LG for the next 10+ years.

RG moving forward will be a question mark for most, I think they still like Turner. Lindsey or Hanson will be the center (It will come down to the money for Lindsey). 

56 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

I'm very interested to see how the Vikings perform against the Colts this week.  Is the Green Bay offense as good as shown?  Is Minnesota that much worse from last year?  It's probably somewhere in between.  

I have a sneaking suspicion that Vikings defense is just bad. What a talentless group of nothing they're playing right now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Vikings defense is just bad. What a talentless group of nothing they're playing right now.

I mean minus Hunter it looks a little bleak, but with him back in a few they have an elite player (Hunter, Kendricks, Smith) at all 3 levels. Mixed in with Yanick, Barr, Harris and a bunch of high DP's in the secondary. Inexperienced yes, thats a talented group still.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean minus Hunter it looks a little bleak, but with him back in a few they have an elite player (Hunter, Kendricks, Smith) at all 3 levels. Mixed in with Yanick, Barr, Harris and a bunch of high DP's in the secondary. Inexperienced yes, thats a talented group still.

The DTs genuinely suck.

Yannick was hobbled. Hunter was out. We don't know when either is going to be back fully. 

The CBs are either never-weres or painfully green.

+++

If you suck at the 3 most important spots on the defense, elite talent at ILB and Safety aren't going to save you. 

• Like 2

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The DTs genuinely suck.

Yannick was hobbled. Hunter was out. We don't know when either is going to be back fully. 

The CBs are either never-weres or painfully green.

+++

If you suck at the 3 most important spots on the defense, elite talent at ILB and Safety aren't going to save you. 

I said green, you said talentless. That's going to be a real good defense again if it clicks for 2 of the 4 young corners they have. We were lucky to get them when we did, but I wouldn't expect 43 later in the year at Lambeau. 

9 hours ago, Green19 said:

And I think he will be the RT the rest of this year. Turner will come back and be the RG.

But next year and on... I think Jenkins slides to RT, the value is just there and honestly if Jenkins wants to make the most money he should want to be the RT for the next 10+ years. And like I mentioned before Runyan will be the new LG for the next 10+ years.

RG moving forward will be a question mark for most, I think they still like Turner. Lindsey or Hanson will be the center (It will come down to the money for Lindsey). 

There's really not much difference in average salary between an elite (Top 5) RT vs. G. LT is a different story. I suppose you move Jenkins if you feel it's easier to find G's than RT's. The question is whether you're convinced Jenkins can be as dominant a player at RT as he appears to be at LG. Personally, I like the idea of having 2 dominant players on the same side of the line.    

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I said green, you said talentless. That's going to be a real good defense again if it clicks for 2 of the 4 young corners they have. We were lucky to get them when we did, but I wouldn't expect 43 later in the year at Lambeau. 

Did either of those CBs look like they were going to develop into standouts? I get they're young, but they looked BAD. We were two MVS drops away from a 500 yard day.

9 hours ago, Green19 said:

Coaches (for whatever reason), seem to like Turner at RT and Jenkins at LG. I wouldn't be surprised if Jenkins stays at LG (and LT backup), while Runyan goes to RG and Turner and Wagner battle for RT. With Patrick at Center.

2021 OL: Bak - Jenkins - Patrick - Runyan and either Turner or Wagner.

Also while fans hate this (and I don't disagree with the fans, but if they have Turner and Wagner over Patrick)

OL: Bak - Runyan - Jenkins - Turner - Wagner

But they had Patrick over Wagner this last game, and I'm guessing the one with the 2021 by it, above. 

Things change.  Wagner had been hurt and hadn't played much in camp, especially during actual practices with pads and competition.  It may be that one real game against an opponent now gives him as many real padded snaps as he had all camp, beats me.  Guess I'm saying that *if* he held up fine, and played fine, the reason he was behind Turner and Patrick may be gone.  

I know the board is positive on Runyan, was from draft day.  And he appeared to have held up fine during 15 late snaps against an exhausted, beaten low-talent Vikings line. 

But I'm not sure yet that he's going to be the long-term solution at a guard spot, or that he's already an optimal choice to be starting now.  I hope he is ready, and that he's just got the "it" factor: with the strength and power to do it and to maul, and with the balance and feet and technique to pass block, and with the mind to process everything fast and just be excellent and smart right out of the gate.  It's possible, and it would be wonderful if so. 

But that Vikings line was really gassed physically and beaten down psychologically by the 4th quarter.  Runyan might not look as acceptable against a fresh defense.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't expect 43 again either, but when your corners 1-4 are as AG said, bad or green, and you have nothing at DT and can't generate pressure up the middle, good luck. They are rich on defense at all the wrong places. Edge being strong is good, but almost neutralized by them having nothing for interior pressure unless they blitz, and if they do, their coverage probably gets exposed. 

From what I read Runyan came out of MI with a spotted college career. He was raw. A work in progress. Given the little work this offseason provided, I doubt he's turned that corner quite yet. Fact that he stepped in and held his own against MN - good for him - good for us - but I'm hoping he takes a back seat to a more experienced player at this stage. He's certainly got the pedigree and I'm hopeful he builds up / lives up to it.