Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Vikings defense is just bad. What a talentless group of nothing they're playing right now.

I agree and made this point earlier in another thread - this looks like a bottom 5-10 defense. If Hunter/Yannick can tee off, however in a few games if the offense can get a lead it could keep them out of that range. We definitely got a pretty bad defense at a very opportune time, and it resulted in what should have been a 50+ point, 500+ yard game if Adams and MVS didn't have a few drops.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did either of those CBs look like they were going to develop into standouts? I get they're young, but they looked BAD. We were two MVS drops away from a 500 yard day.

My draft grades on Gladney were high. Not enough NFL tape to say otherwise. We'll see on Dantzler. Good skills, but Zimmer will have to try and hide his speed deficiency.

23 hours ago, Leader said:

From what I read Runyan came out of MI with a spotted college career. He was raw. A work in progress. Given the little work this offseason provided, I doubt he's turned that corner quite yet. Fact that he stepped in and held his own against MN - good for him - good for us - but I'm hoping he takes a back seat to a more experienced player at this stage. He's certainly got the pedigree and I'm hopeful he builds up / lives up to it.

Let your eyes do the "telling" for you.  

Coming out, I saw a kid who would struggle at tackle, but be a good power guard inside, right away.  Thought maybe he could develop into a RT, but he had power guard written all over him.

Add that to his pedigree, which I think equates to an NFL work etiquette, and I think we are going to have a nice player there.  Now and for the future.

McCarren knows a thing or two about offensive lineman.  He was singing the Runyan praise early and often.  Kind of like he did with Timmerman and a few other rookie guards in the past.

Used to be I took his word as gospel, but I feel like since he's now hired by the Packers (I believe), he's a little more biased towards the players than in the past.

Edited by vegas492

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I agree and made this point earlier in another thread - this looks like a bottom 5-10 defense. If Hunter/Yannick can tee off, however in a few games if the offense can get a lead it could keep them out of that range. We definitely got a pretty bad defense at a very opportune time, and it resulted in what should have been a 50+ point, 500+ yard game if Adams and MVS didn't have a few drops.

I think I disagree. Sure they didn’t have Hunter but the IDL played out against us and I feel our IOL is pretty good. Vikings were very good against the run. 

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I think I disagree. Sure they didn’t have Hunter but the IDL played out against us and I feel our IOL is pretty good. Vikings were very good against the run. 

That actually scares me, just a bit, as I thought their DTs, on paper, should have sucked after they lost DT Linval Joseph in FA, and we didn't seem to do better than we did against them...

So I'm wondering how we'll do against DTs that look good on paper.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Add that to his pedigree, which I think equates to an NFL work etiquette, and I think we are going to have a nice player there.  Now and for the future.

It's early yet to evaluate anyone and especially rookie Olinemen, but the young man showed up when he was called upon.

I don't know if you watched his interview but he said his dad always believed himself to be a better technician than an athlete and impressed the importance of technique onto his son.  He also said he would be watching tape with the old man.  Half laughing they would probably spend 2 hours on the 15 snaps he saw.  Not a bad guy to talk details with in your spare time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

That actually scares me, just a bit, as I thought their DTs, on paper, should have sucked after they lost DT Linval Joseph in FA, and we didn't seem to do better than we did against them...

So I'm wondering how we'll do against DTs that look good on paper.

Maybe never mind... just saw the tweet below about the Vikings loading the box more than anyone else... which partly might explain why they struggled as much in the passing game.

(I don't know how to post tweets especially not from mobile)

https://mobile.twitter.com/robertmays/status/1306333534114713600?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1306333534114713600|twgr^share_3&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.packershome.com%2Fforum%2FPosts%2Ft28747-Matchup--2020--Detroit-Lions-at-Green-Bay-Packers

Aaron Jones ran into an 8-man box on a league-high 43.8% of carries on Sunday. As Aaron Rodgers sliced and diced the Vikings for 376 and 4 touchdowns. Maybe the Packers acting like they were bulking up to run the ball all offseason was actually one long con.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Coming out, I saw a kid who would struggle at tackle, but be a good power guard inside, right away.  Thought maybe he could develop into a LT, but he had power guard written all over him.

This.  Maybe others will disagree, but he wasn't a tackle.  The tools weren't really there.  Maybe he could play RT in a few years, but the feet weren't there to play LT IMO.  I think you give him a year in a S&C room, and he's a starting OG.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe others will disagree, but he wasn't a tackle.

I agree 100%.  I think he played LT in college because he was their best option, but I don't think tackle is his natural position.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think you give him a year in a S&C room, and he's a starting OG.

My hope is that next year they cut ties with Turner and Runyan takes the starting OG spot.  I would like it even better if he locked that position down now and kept Turner on the bench, but I doubt that will happen.

8 hours ago, Beast said:

Aaron Jones ran into an 8-man box on a league-high 43.8% of carries on Sunday. As Aaron Rodgers sliced and diced the Vikings for 376 and 4 touchdowns. Maybe the Packers acting like they were bulking up to run the ball all offseason was actually one long con.

Vikes boxed the run and made themselves pass vulnerable; even so the run game was still reasonably effective.

I'm hoping we'll have an offense that is flexible enough to take advantage of whatever a defense chooses to give. 

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This.  Maybe others will disagree, but he wasn't a tackle.  The tools weren't really there.  Maybe he could play RT in a few years, but the feet weren't there to play LT IMO.  I think you give him a year in a S&C room, and he's a starting OG.

I had to edit my post, but I'm sure you caught it.  I thought he could be a RT, not a LT.  As you stated , the feet just aren't LT feet.  Maybe a RT.  But he's a power guard (RG) all day long.