Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean "out of reach" is a big stretch. We were one 3 and out away from Minny making it a 2-3 point game. Our offense prevented what could have become an issue there mid-way through the 4th. 

As much as I despised fourth quarter defense, every time they gave up a score MIN was still 3 scores behind (2 after MIN TDs). Giving up 3/3 2pt conversions was heinous, but I never really felt they were mounting a comeback.

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

As much as I despised fourth quarter defense, every time they gave up a score MIN was still 3 scores behind (2 after MIN TDs). Giving up 3/3 2pt conversions was heinous, but I never really felt they were mounting a comeback.

I felt differently.  I thought we were a dropped pass away from a one score game.  The defense totally relaxed...and once you've done that, it is hard to flip that switch back "on".

But that offense was really dialed in.  It looked more like a skeleton drill out there.  Best quarterbacked game I've seen by Rodgers in many, many years.  Maybe on par if not better than 2011.  I'd much prefer him to stay in the pocket and deliver the ball on time as opposed to him running around making things happen on most every passing play.

I'm not sure there is a defense out there that can stop him with limited crowd noise.  He can audible to the right plays, use his cadence and simply sit back there and sling it to the right spots.  And he looks a little more spry this year, so improvising on a couple plays a game is just fine.  Let's just not make that improv the focal point of the offense.

If there are gameballs to be handed out, Rodgers gets the first one, Alexander gets the second one.  

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure there is a defense out there that can stop him with limited crowd noise.  He can audible to the right plays, use his cadence and simply sit back there and sling it to the right spots.  And he looks a little more spry this year, so improvising on a couple plays a game is just fine.  Let's just not make that improv the focal point of the offense.  

Yeah, lots of people complaining about the lack of crowd noise, I honestly thought it was better than normal crowds.

Of course I think Fox is using something that the other networks aren't, to help with lack of crowd noise.

We'll see moving forward.  Everybody on OL seemed to function fine.  Maybe they're all very capable, and even without Taylor we've got 7 capable guys.  But maybe Minne's front is just really mediocre?  We're so used to Zimmer having dynamic defense, but time has ticked; maybe they just don't have anything?  (Especially minus Hunter?). Likewise all of the passing plays were working; maybe that's as much about Vikings secondary as about our awesome scheme and wonderful WR?  

I loved that game, and thought Rodgers and the passing game looked SO good, it was such a pleasure to watch. 

But I'm wondering whether the "Rodgers taking underneath, Rodgers throwing on schedule, Rodgers not throwing off back foot so much" narrative might be matchup magic, unsustainably so?  As soon as the receivers aren't getting open so quickly on schedule, he'll be extending more and throwing underneath on schedule less often?  As soon as he's getting sacked and pressured, off-balance and back-foot and scrambling around will regress back towards the recent normal?  

They so often talk about consistency and stacking success.  We'll see if OL, Rodgers, and the passing game are able to stack success and make this more consistent.  

On 9/14/2020 at 2:18 PM, vegas492 said:

Could be right about Hanson.  Who knows.  What I will say is this.  Don't sleep on Patrick.  He's on the Lane Taylor development path.  And I wouldn't count him out.  And center is as much about brains as it is anything else.  Hmm.  Trying to remember Patrick went to college.  Duke perhaps?  (confirmed, Duke)

I really liked those three OL picks though I think Stepaniak is more of a depth guy than the other two who IMHO should've gone much sooner in the draft. Hanson's actually moving in from OT IIRC before the draft and he was selected about where I thought we'd select him if he wasn't a PUDFA. 

I'm certainly not sleeping on Patrick at all. He too was a draftable player who's developed a tick quicker than Taylor did. I'm hoping he's one of those cheaper role players that doesn't leave, but fills a quietly valuable role on this team. I think Runyan and Hanson can be those guys as well if Linsley and/or Taylor were to stay.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

I really liked those three OL picks though I think Stepaniak is more of a depth guy than the other two who IMHO should've gone much sooner in the draft. Hanson's actually moving in from OT IIRC before the draft and he was selected about where I thought we'd select him if he wasn't a PUDFA. 

I'm certainly not sleeping on Patrick at all. He too was a draftable player who's developed a tick quicker than Taylor did. I'm hoping he's one of those cheaper role players that doesn't leave, but fills a quietly valuable role on this team. I think Runyan and Hanson can be those guys as well if Linsley and/or Taylor were to stay.

I think they were looking for a 2021 OL that in theory looked like:

Bakhtiari-Runyan-Hanson-Stepaniak-Jenkins

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Hanson's actually moving in from OT IIRC before the draft and he was selected about where I thought we'd select him if he wasn't a PUDFA. 

He's was a full time center at Oregon. He has a bunch of experience, too; he had around 50 starts. He missed one game in four years, started the rest... Some other good stuff is he's an excellent pass blocker- no sacks allowed 3 of his 4 years, and strong- 30+ bench press reps at the combine... Actually, physically, he's a good comp to Linsley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I think they were looking for a 2021 OL that in theory looked like:

Bakhtiari-Runyan-Hanson-Stepaniak-Jenkins

I don't think they were expecting them all to start, and they have given Turner and Wagner good sized contracts and probably expected at least one, if not both to start.

I know people think moving Jenkins to Center would be a bit of a waste (and I'm certainly not disagreeing, as I feel that too), I can't help but think they were kinda hoping for the best mix and match from these 6

• LT Bakhtiari
  • LG Jenkins or Runyan
  • OC Jenkins or Patrick
  • RG Turner or Patrick
  • RT Turner or Wagner

And I was thinking Runyan and Wagner would be better than Patrick leaving He kind to go to Center to get the best 5 on the field. Of course they said Patrick was better than Wagner based on their week 1 actions (which their actions last year said Veldeer was better than Patrick, so one might wonder how a Veldeer vs Wagner battle would be).

But with Patrick over Wagner, it might look like

Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Turner (even if I don't trust Turner there, coaches seem to)

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I don't think they were expecting them all to start, and they have given Turner and Wagner good sized contracts and probably expected at least one, if not both to start.

I know people think moving Jenkins to Center would be a bit of a waste (and I'm certainly not disagreeing, as I feel that too), I can't help but think they were kinda hoping for the best mix and match from these 6

• LT Bakhtiari
  • LG Jenkins or Runyan
  • OC Jenkins or Patrick
  • RG Turner or Patrick
  • RT Turner or Wagner

And I was thinking Runyan and Wagner would be better than Patrick leaving He kind to go to Center to get the best 5 on the field. Of course they said Patrick was better than Wagner based on their week 1 actions (which their actions last year said Veldeer was better than Patrick, so one might wonder how a Veldeer vs Wagner battle would be).

But with Patrick over Wagner, it might look like

Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Turner (even if I don't trust Turner there, coaches seem to)

If they put Pattycake at RT they might as well have a bodybag ready for Aaron's corpse.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Jenkins is the RT after this season. He is likely a Pro Bowl LG this year.

Future likely looks like:

Bak, Runyan, Hanson/Linsey, Turner, Jenkins

Bak/Jenkins/Hanson/Runyan/Wagner.

Unless Turner gets better,  I don't think he's back. Packers can save 3.5 M by cutting him after this year. He's not worth the money unless he takes a pay cut.  

4 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Unless Turner gets better,  I don't think he's back. Packers can save 3.5 M by cutting him after this year. He's not worth the money unless he takes a pay cut.  

I don’t disagree... I just don’t think the Packers agree with you. I think they really like Turner.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

That’s not a lot of money for what Turner provides.