Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

On 9/16/2020 at 7:49 AM, Packerraymond said:

I mean minus Hunter it looks a little bleak, but with him back in a few they have an elite player (Hunter, Kendricks, Smith) at all 3 levels. Mixed in with Yanick, Barr, Harris and a bunch of high DP's in the secondary. Inexperienced yes, thats a talented group still.

I wonder, How much longer is Harry going to be “elite”? He’s going on 32, the decline has to be near. 

12 hours ago, Beast said:

That actually scares me, just a bit, as I thought their DTs, on paper, should have sucked after they lost DT Linval Joseph in FA, and we didn't seem to do better than we did against them...

So I'm wondering how we'll do against DTs that look good on paper.

I bet the Packers Oline would look really good against paper.

Ryan Wood -   Mike Pettine said Jaire Alexander has coverage in flat on snap he sacked Kirk Cousins for safety, so an error there was more forgiving to the defense if Alexander hadn’t reached Cousins. Still, unexpected. “I saw Cousins go down, and then I realized it was Jaire, to my surprise.”

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -   Mike Pettine said Jaire Alexander has coverage in flat on snap he sacked Kirk Cousins for safety, so an error there was more forgiving to the defense if Alexander hadn’t reached Cousins. Still, unexpected. “I saw Cousins go down, and then I realized it was Jaire, to my surprise.”

Wait, if Alexander had the flat, then whom was supposed to have them deep? Because there was one or two WRs deep there...

Alexander said he thought his keys read run play, so he jumped the gun and attacked and when he realized he was wrong it was too late so he kept going (wrong key but keep going is right).

But if someone else was to suppose to have that WR deep, then I'm thinking someone else might of screwed up (if I remember correctly), and that Alexander risk might of scored us two and saved us 7.

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

Wait, if Alexander had the flat, then whom was supposed to have them deep? Because there was one or two WRs deep there...

Alexander said he thought his keys read run play, so he jumped the gun and attacked and when he realized he was wrong it was too late so he kept going (wrong key but keep going is right).

But if someone else was to suppose to have that WR deep, then I'm thinking someone else might of screwed up (if I remember correctly), and that Alexander risk might of scored us two and saved us 7.

Looks like it's actually a two-deep shell, but with Amos walked up into the box to disguise and play run first.  Once it's obviously pass, Amos drops back to deep halves at basically a sprint, and Savage who was playing center-field drifts to the defensive right.  Savage is actually in good position to cover Thielen deep, but the Y #83 is absurdly wide open about twenty yards downfield; if Jaire doesn't get home here, this play probably goes for 40-60 yards before Amos can run this down.  Cousins even turns to look that way but it's way too late as Jaire is already on top of him.  

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 10:19 PM, Beast said:

That actually scares me, just a bit, as I thought their DTs, on paper, should have sucked after they lost DT Linval Joseph in FA, and we didn't seem to do better than we did against them...

So I'm wondering how we'll do against DTs that look good on paper.

I guess you Can look at either way. If their DL sucks, maybe our OL sucks but if we’re as good as last year, they might have found some gems at IDL

17 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I guess you Can look at either way. If their DL sucks, maybe our OL sucks but if we’re as good as last year, they might have found some gems at IDL

Aaron Rodgers threw the ball 44 times. 

Per PFR, the Vikings got pressure on 4 of those drop backs. 2 Hurries and 2 Knockdowns, 0 sacks. 

Their DTs produced 1 single Hurry.

+++

We ran the ball (non QBs) 29 times. We produced 158 yards. So 5.4 Yards Per Carry.

+++

All of this is a long way of saying, what the hell are you guys talking about? Our offensive line kicked the **** out of their defensive line up one side of the field and down the other. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Aaron Rodgers threw the ball 44 times. 

Per PFR, the Vikings got pressure on 4 of those drop backs. 2 Hurries and 2 Knockdowns, 0 sacks. 

Their DTs produced 1 single Hurry.

+++

We ran the ball (non QBs) 29 times. We produced 158 yards. So 5.4 Yards Per Carry.

+++

All of this is a long way of saying, what the hell are you guys talking about? Our offensive line kicked the **** out of their defensive line up one side of the field and down the other. 

Jones averaged 4.1 per carry but I’m pretty sure he was under 4 until the 4th quarter. Williams averaged 3.0. Those were the two RB’s with the most carries. Erving has 3/32 but a long of 21 and Lazard has 1 for 19. That average was raised by a coupe long runs on jet sweeps which relies a lot on WR’s to block. 

I know all these runs count but I really don’t think we knocked them around between the tackles. Jones actually had a nice game and made a lot of guys miss to get to that 4.1. 

I think our IOL is pretty good, just think the Vikings DT’s played good for 3 quarters.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Jones averaged 4.1 per carry but I’m pretty sure he was under 4 until the 4th quarter. Williams averaged 3.0. Those were the two RB’s with the most carries. Erving has 3/32 but a long of 21 and Lazard has 1 for 19. That average was raised by a coupe long runs on jet sweeps which relies a lot on WR’s to block. 

I know all these runs count but I really don’t think we knocked them around between the tackles. Jones actually had a nice game and made a lot of guys miss to get to that 4.1. 

I think our IOL is pretty good, just think the Vikings DT’s played good for 3 quarters.

And if the Packers wanted to stuff the run they could play Lancaster every play. Given 80ish DT rushes, they didn't knock Rodgers down a single time. That's pathetic.

Even if we say that the running game wasn't great, which wasn't the case, Rodgers was knocked down twice on 44 attempts and not sacked. The pass blocking alone made it a phenomenal performance by the offensive line.

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I agree, in isolation, I thought we'd be able to line up and knock them around between the tackles a hell lot more than what happened, and while they weren't horrible, they certainly were great running the ball between the tackles.

Of course some old school football theory (and Mike Zimmer is old school) say stop the run and make them one dimensional in the run game, which would explain the stat I read, which said Aaron Jones rushed into more 8 man boxes than anyone else in week 1.

So if correct, the Vikings were stacking the box to stop the run... (which would explain why they didn't do as well as we'd thought/hoped they would) running the ball between the tackles. 

Though one might ask why they were stacking the box when being killed by the pass... but sometimes it's pick your poison, and Zimmer is old school, and dedicated to the run and stopping the run with scheme while trying to get athletic guys that can hold their own in coverage.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I agree, in isolation, I thought we'd be able to line up and knock them around between the tackles a hell lot more than what happened, and while they weren't horrible, they certainly were great running the ball between the tackles.

Of course some old school football theory (and Mike Zimmer is old school) say stop the run and make them one dimensional in the run game, which would explain the stat I read, which said Aaron Jones rushed into more 8 man boxes than anyone else in week 1.

So if correct, the Vikings were stacking the box to stop the run... (which would explain why they didn't do as well as we'd thought/hoped they would) running the ball between the tackles. 

Though one might ask why they were stacking the box when being killed by the pass... but sometimes it's pick your poison, and Zimmer is old school, and dedicated to the run and stopping the run with scheme while trying to get athletic guys that can hold their own in coverage.

Were they truly stacking the box, or were they matching up their LBs with our heavy TE sets? 

On the first two drives we absolutely got stone walled at the goal line.  Other than that, I don't recall the run being overly effective, or ineffective. Or the Vikings really loading up to stop the run.

6 hours ago, Beast said:

The Vikings don't have any every down DTs. 

They have 2 6'5 guys under 300lbs in Watts and Holmes (2.5 sacks in 330ish snaps who are very JAG-y. They have 2 NTish types in Stephen and Johnson (8 total sacks in 3300ish snaps) who are the better players in a vaccum but don't have any pass rush. Most of the time they just drop Stephen and Johnson in there and take their chances that the pressure will come from the edge. Our tackles (and their injuries) smothered the edge pressure. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 5:43 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Vikings don't have any every down DTs. 

They have 2 6'5 guys under 300lbs in Watts and Holmes (2.5 sacks in 330ish snaps who are very JAG-y. They have 2 NTish types in Stephen and Johnson (8 total sacks in 3300ish snaps) who are the better players in a vaccum but don't have any pass rush. Most of the time they just drop Stephen and Johnson in there and take their chances that the pressure will come from the edge. Our tackles (and their injuries) smothered the edge pressure. 

I haven't went back yet. Saw Mata afa in early.. Did he get extended run? Any interior?