Week One Recap: Packers make Zimmers Defense Look Offensive

mikebpackfan

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

Boy has he been a find...

Jenkins is an elite Guard all day, he can play Tackle and play it well, but bear in mind we drafted Jake Hanson who is probably going to be the heir apparent at Center. Linsley's done in GB after his contract is up IMHO. Patrick is definitely a Guard only, but can play Center well in a pinch as we saw against Detroit last year. 

I'm starting to think management is souring on Turner nevermind the injury. I think they see him as a Tackle in emergency only despite the quality performance he had the last year in Denver. Still, I think we paid too much for a back-up OL in him and it shouldn't surprise me if his contract is restructured after the season is over. Let's be honest, we drafted 2 Guards and a Center in this past draft for a reason despite when they were chosen...

On that note: How are we feeling about Runyan? I thought he was pretty decent yesterday. 

Jenkins can be an elite RT.  And RG.  Or LG.  Or C.  Maybe only a top 10 LT.  Little more strength on him, though, and I think he's an elite LT.  That's how much I think of him.  When I watched some college film of him, they would pull him on screens...and sweeps.  He would snap and pull.  It was amazing to see.  I'd ever really seen the Pouncey's do that.

Could be right about Hanson.  Who knows.  What I will say is this.  Don't sleep on Patrick.  He's on the Lane Taylor development path.  And I wouldn't count him out.  And center is as much about brains as it is anything else.  Hmm.  Trying to remember Patrick went to college.  Duke perhaps?  (confirmed, Duke)

Don't know how you can be disappointed with Turner at RG last year.  He solidified that position.  No reason to think he wouldn't have improved over the off-season.  But...I get your point.  he's expensive and just maybe the young kids can play as well for less money.

This is do know...he's on the roster this year, despite the rookies.  Next year is a different story.  

And I'm a Runyan fan.  He was decent for sure.  Probably a click better.  No drop off with him in there, or with Wagner in there.

That being said?  It isn't like the Vikes had anyone nameworthy or noteworthy on the line across from him (Runyan).

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think most players wish they could deliver a clutch block that takes two defenders out of the play like that. You see them try it often and the defenders jumps over or avoids it. That was just a good play by Deguara 

yeah it looked a little foreign to my eyes, but I guess you do see people try to hurdle blockers on the outside now and again

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Sorry man, my posts LG/RG for Runyan were all messed up.

Regarding Turner, I don't know about the future with him.  I think he can play LG.  Not sold on him as a tackle.  I can't see him being good with more space around him.

Jenkins can play every spot and play it at a very high level.  Not sure putting him at center is a wise move.  We haven't really pulled a center since Flanagan was here.  Center may be the last place I'd put him.

Patrick can probably play in there if he had to.  And I think you can draft a center almost anywhere in the draft.  Look for an anchor, look for smarts and movement is a plus.

I agree with you, I was just trying to figure out the Packers logic, such as I believe they gave Turner that large contract because they believe he can play RT. I'm with you, in that I'm not sure that believe is correct.

But having Runyan backup LG, has made me believe they were thinking that was their plan for his future spot, and having Jenkins potential move. As I stated, maybe that was because they were considering him as the backup LT, and it wasn't for future starting Center.

This OL might get Interesting in a bad way with more injuries against better DLs.

Few extended plays; it wasn't the entire offense for the first time in years.

Gary seemed pretty focused on run contain on his rushes instead of trashing the tackle.  For all the talk in camp, he looked like he was trying more to control the pocket (even on pass attempts) than he was on opening a lane by rushing.  By design?

Rodgers looked like he was more centered on his throws.  He still didn't set his feet the way Brady does (and he probably never will), but he wasn't throwing all contorted either like he has frequently in the past.

Looked like they tried to get the TEs involved in the passing game early, but nothing hit.  But no short passes to them either.  Deep sideline shots to TE3 and TE4.  None to Tonyan or Lewis.

I liked that Rodgers was throwing contested balls to Adams, Lazard, and MVS.  And there was a comment passed along where Rodgers was quoted as saying the interceptions might go up as we become more aggressive.  So consciously taking those shots opened things up.  Not sure there would be as much success against veteran corners, but he took advantage of the greenness of Minnesota's.

Open question to whether Runyan is going to continue the tradition of earning a starting job due to injury in the first two games (Jenkins, Bahk).  Don't have a feel on this at all, but it is far from unprecedented.  And he seemed to hold up well.  If Jenkins plays well at RT and Runyan plays well at RG or LG, you have a young, talented line.

I'm still waiting for the rookie preseason version of Savage to show up.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

My take on the snap counts:

• It's clear Malik Taylor was a game day active because of his ST work but is he ahead of EQ as a WR? That is yet to be determined.
  • By all accounts it was said Lancaster took over Clark snaps yet it appears Keke ended up with the most snaps of the two.
  • I was a little surprised to see Galeai get quite a few snaps on defence. I expected him to only do ST. He wasn't even a special team leader in snaps but its possible he reached 12 but didn't make the list.
  • This is the biggest surprise of the lot. Barnes getting defensive snaps ahead of Burks AND Summers. WTF was he cut in the first place then? The only explanation I can think of is that Burks and Summers are very important players on ST and we did not want to risk losing them on waivers had we cut them. Also we needed to keep Martin on the 53 before putting on IR. We basically did this manoeuvre knowing Barnes was highly unlikely to be claimed. Risky but ultimately worked out.
  • Josh Jackson only had two snaps which is much less than I anticipated considering his camp reports but as a result I expected him to compensate with more work on ST.  Unfortunately for him we barely punted so he probably didn't have much work to do.
  • Redmond was a busy man on Sunday. He's clearly our Jarrett Bush.

Yeah when I looked at the DEs, I saw Lancaster, I was being a bit social, but missed Keke being in there. 

I think Packers are planning more 3 OLBer formulations this year, which has the OLBers getting more snaps.

Barns thing pisses me off, this is two years now (Lazard past year), where we released the better player and kept a clearly worse player... WHY?!? Yes we got them back... but if this keeps up, we might not always get them back.

Jackson sounded like he was hit and miss in practice, either perfect coverage or blew the coverage. This is pure speculation, but that sounds like what happens when a guess is guessing a lot, when he guess's right, great job, when he's not, blown coverage.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Boy has he been a find...

Jenkins is an elite Guard all day, he can play Tackle and play it well, but bear in mind we drafted Jake Hanson who is probably going to be the heir apparent at Center. Linsley's done in GB after his contract is up IMHO. Patrick is definitely a Guard only, but can play Center well in a pinch as we saw against Detroit last year. 

I'm starting to think management is souring on Turner nevermind the injury. I think they see him as a Tackle in emergency only despite the quality performance he had the last year in Denver. Still, I think we paid too much for a back-up OL in him and it shouldn't surprise me if his contract is restructured after the season is over. Let's be honest, we drafted 2 Guards and a Center in this past draft for a reason despite when they were chosen...

On that note: How are we feeling about Runyan? I thought he was pretty decent yesterday. 

Hanson has to improve first before he makes the roster. I think they just thought they were the best available and wanted to try to develop some guys before Linsley and Taylor were FAs. Not nessarily knowing if 6th rounders will stick around, but a year of development would give them a chance to possible be ready.

As for Turner, I don't know what they were thinking, but it seems like they thought he could start at RG and RT, at least based on what they paid him. I'm wonder how they feel about that right now, are they regretting the amount or do they still believe he can be a starting RT.

It'll be interesting what they do and whom is healthy, only big surprise so far is Patrick over Wagner. But is who do they have as their top preferred RT? Turner? Jenkins? Wagner?

Also I guess they might bench Runyan again if Patrick is healthy, and go with Patrick and Jenkins or Turner.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Jenkins can be an elite RT.  And RG.  Or LG.  Or C.  Maybe only a top 10 LT.  Little more strength on him, though, and I think he's an elite LT.  That's how much I think of him.  When I watched some college film of him, they would pull him on screens...and sweeps.  He would snap and pull.  It was amazing to see.  I'd ever really seen the Pouncey's do that.

Could be right about Hanson.  Who knows.  What I will say is this.  Don't sleep on Patrick.  He's on the Lane Taylor development path.  And I wouldn't count him out.  And center is as much about brains as it is anything else.  Hmm.  Trying to remember Patrick went to college.  Duke perhaps?  (confirmed, Duke)

Don't know how you can be disappointed with Turner at RG last year.  He solidified that position.  No reason to think he wouldn't have improved over the off-season.  But...I get your point.  he's expensive and just maybe the young kids can play as well for less money.

This is do know...he's on the roster this year, despite the rookies.  Next year is a different story.  

And I'm a Runyan fan.  He was decent for sure.  Probably a click better.  No drop off with him in there, or with Wagner in there.

That being said?  It isn't like the Vikes had anyone nameworthy or noteworthy on the line across from him (Runyan).

I think people thought Turner would be a clear upgrade over Taylor especially with the amount of money he got, and yes he solidified the position, people were expecting more. 

Edit, a quote from Runyan which this might of helped him and the rest of the DL. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1305584318350266368?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1305584318350266368|twgr^share_3&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.packershome.com%2Fforum%2FPosts%2Fm433510-Matchup--2020--Green-Bay-Packers-at-Minnesota-Vikingspost433510

Edited by Beast

10 hours ago, spilltray said:

Other than the 4th quarter, and maybe the first drive of the game, the D played great. By the time they relaxed, the game was out of reach, so I really don't get all the angst here.

I mean "out of reach" is a big stretch. We were one 3 and out away from Minny making it a 2-3 point game. Our offense prevented what could have become an issue there mid-way through the 4th. 

54 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

The only thing I remember under Mac on this kind of stuff was with Cobb and it sucked

I don't see what the big deal is?!? I've been told here that speed is overrated... Allison & Kumerow would have done better on those plays.

😁

Edited by Donzo
sequence error

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean "out of reach" is a big stretch. We were one 3 and out away from Minny making it a 2-3 point game. Our offense prevented what could have become an issue there mid-way through the 4th. 

But Minnesota's defense never showed they could make that stop either, so it never got that close.

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think most players wish they could deliver a clutch block that takes two defenders out of the play like that. You see them try it often and the defenders jumps over or avoids it. That was just a good play by Deguara 

I remember @AlexGreen#20 saying this type of block was the only thing that impressed him about Deguara.