2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

And please will you all stop yelling at me lol

King, I admire your persistence in your defense of Gase.  I, along with others, have shown evidence why he is not a “brilliant offense mind”. Perhaps you can tell us we you believe he is?  I am not trying to create an argument, I truly wish to understand. Have we all missed something?

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Around that same time he had the delay of game iirc. Just so many things he was doing wrong.

I know. But if Darnold has a good game tomorrow, we should start a thread asking Joe Douglas to extend him. Lol. This is going to be a roller coaster season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

King, I admire your persistence in your defense of Gase.  I, along with others, have shown evidence why he is not a “brilliant offense mind”. Perhaps you can tell us we you believe he is?  I am not trying to create an argument, I truly wish to understand. Have we all missed something?

His schemes, like its hard to explain. When the NFL made gamepass, I think its called, free during quarantine I went back and watched every game from multiple angles. I didn't look at the success of plays but rather the full picture. Whether it is well designed rubs, misdirection screens. The timing based concepts of his routes almost always has someone running open. Last year Sam just didn't have the time among other things. He gets crap about his play calling and I get it but I think that is always a criticism of offenses that do not execute well. You can call bad plays that have good results and good plays that have bad ones. 

I think right now guys just wants results, I can understand that its a results based business but last week wasn't something I would pin on our coach. The film shows Darnold had opportunities to make plays from the start of the game and just didn't. Guys have made their minds up though, I cant change anyone's mind. I'm just doing my best to understand the game and what we're trying to accomplish.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

His schemes, like its hard to explain. When the NFL made gamepass, I think its called, free during quarantine I went back and watched every game from multiple angles. I didn't look at the success of plays but rather the full picture. Whether it is well designed rubs, misdirection screens. The timing based concepts of his routes almost always has someone running open. Last year Sam just didn't have the time among other things. He gets crap about his play calling and I get it but I think that is always a criticism of offenses that do not execute well. You can call bad plays that have good results and good plays that have bad ones. 

I think right now guys just wants results, I can understand that its a results based business but last week wasn't something I would pin on our coach. The film shows Darnold had opportunities to make plays from the start of the game and just didn't. Guys have made their minds up though, I cant change anyone's mind. I'm just doing my best to understand the game and what we're trying to accomplish.

While I personally am ready to throw the whole team, coaching staff, and everyone in the building under the bus in frustration, I appreciate the cool-headed explanation of your thoughts. Interesting stuff.

14 minutes ago, TheChad said:

While I personally am ready to throw the whole team, coaching staff, and everyone in the building under the bus in frustration, I appreciate the cool-headed explanation of your thoughts. Interesting stuff.

Appreciate it. It honestly keeps me sane being as level headed as I’m trying to be. It’s definitely frustrating, we’ve been dealing with this ever since the AFCCG in Pittsburgh. Just constant disappointment.

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Thanks for your input.  You certainly put more time into evaluating than I do and probably many others.  I confess that Greenberg's damning video along with other sources complaining about Gase have made me into a "results oriented" fan. 

The question I would ask Gase, "Your schemes may be brilliant, but if they are unsuccessful for whatever reason, perhaps it is time to change them a little?"  If his schemes require very specific personnel, should he not alter them in order to have some success while working with the GM to build the team?  It could be that no team will allot the time needed to show signs of success, it, therefore, behooves Gase to modify his plans.

I am a chemist.  Many years ago I worked with a brilliant, young PhD in physical organic chemistry.  He had whiteboards in his office that looked like the "Big Bang Theory".  Genius kid.  The problem was he did not contribute to the bottom line.  He did not make the company money.  Being able to explain Quantum Mechanics did not sell products.  He was better suited for academia, not industry.  Could this be Gase?

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

Thanks for your input.  You certainly put more time into evaluating than I do and probably many others.  I confess that Greenberg's damning video along with other sources complaining about Gase have made me into a "results oriented" fan. 

The question I would ask Gase, "Your schemes may be brilliant, but if they are unsuccessful for whatever reason, perhaps it is time to change them a little?"  If his schemes require very specific personnel, should he not alter them in order to have some success while working with the GM to build the team?  It could be that no team will allot the time needed to show signs of success, it, therefore, behooves Gase to modify his plans.

I am a chemist.  Many years ago I worked with a brilliant, young PhD in physical organic chemistry.  He had whiteboards in his office that looked like the "Big Bang Theory".  Genius kid.  The problem was he did not contribute to the bottom line.  He did not make the company money.  Being able to explain Quantum Mechanics did not sell products.  He was better suited for academia, not industry.  Could this be Gase?

I can’t speak to that honestly, I’m not in the building. What I do know is a process takes time. 

With Gase there are things I read that I don’t think people quite grasp. 

Example;

Call more plays to get Sam on the run. In theory yes Sam is good on the run but you cannot build the offense around that. Why? Well you’re essentially only giving yourself half the field to work with and the more you do that the less successful you’ll be. Can he call more PA rollouts? Sure but without a well established run game Linebackers and Safeties may not bite on the fake. 

One I agree with is more hurry up, I think that will help the team play with more pace but pace has to be developed through positive gains, when the chains are moving you can walk up the line and call the game.

Process process process. That’s what all the great teams have. They don’t try and microwave everything, that doesn’t last long. But we don’t have patience as a fan base, nor should we because we’ve been losing so long.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Be careful with the talking head stuff on ESPN and other media.  It's better for rating to rip the Jets.

That is my biggest criticism of Gase too.  The true good play callers adjust to make it work he seems to be stuck in his ways.  We have no WRs but continue to run 3 WR sets and no 2 TE stuff.  No deep shots, little play action boot leg stuff to buy Sam more time.  At least try something new for the love of God.  Where are the adjustments?  If this is a QB issue and Sam isn't hitting the open man then dumb it down or make the reads easier.  Can't just stick the plan if it's not working.

Edited by Rockice_8

13 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I know. But if Darnold has a good game tomorrow, we should start a thread asking Joe Douglas to extend him. Lol. This is going to be a roller coaster season.

If Darnold, has one more game like last Sunday, he will be very lucky not to be put on the wavier wire. Fitz said last week when Tua takes over at QB for Miami he wants to come back and play for the Jets, he wants to retire a Jet,

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

If Darnold, has one more game like last Sunday, he will be very lucky not to be put on the wavier wire. Fitz said last week when Tua takes over at QB for Miami he wants to come back and play for the Jets, he wants to retire a Jet,

There is absolutely no way that Darnold is put on the waiver wire lol. 

I just found out Bieniemy has called plays at certain times last season including in the playoffs. Makes things more interesting. 

As for coaches who has been a HC or called plays before, I'm thinking Jim Harb might be the best fit for what Joe Douglas is aiming to build with the way he coached the 49ers. Greg Roman is becoming more interesting to me because his ability to adapt to his QB over the years. L.Jackson, Alex Smith, and  Kaepernick were winning with him calling plays. So if it's Lawrence, Fields, or Darnold, he has proven to be able to adapt his offense. 

Bieniemy would have to prove a lot in the interviews, but he has my interest pending on how much of the prep work he did for the offense. JH is probably my number 1 guy so far, but that's all based on the work he did in San Fran. I'm still looking around. 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Appreciate it. It honestly keeps me sane being as level headed as I’m trying to be. It’s definitely frustrating, we’ve been dealing with this ever since the AFCCG in Pittsburgh. Just constant disappointment.

Suck it up, buttercup. It’s called being a Jet fan lol. I have been disappointed for 40+ years. You get numb to the suck.

I used to tell my wife that if we ever get to the SB, we are going. Now it’s if we ever field a competitive team I’ll watch the rerun. At the very least it gives us something to escape the horrors of reality.

Hang tough my friend, it does not get better.