17 hours ago, Dr.O said:

If I had to guess I think the openings go:

Texans: Eric Bienemy

Lions: Robert Salah

Jaguars: Joe Brady

Bears: Pat Fitzgerald

Chargers: Arthur Smith

For the Jets I honestly have no clue

to be completely honest, other than the chargers, isn't the jets job the most attractive?  potential for a great QB in Lawrence, tons of cap room and lots of draft capital.  i get bienemy liking the idea of going to coach watson - but that team is rather devoid of talent and doesn't have a 1st round pick.  the lions are a mess with an older, regressing QB that makes tons of money.  the jags are tough, though they also have tons of space and picks but what if they finally decide to move to london?  the bears are also a mess - no qb, poor skill positions.

i think the jets are going to lure a good coach here.  douglas is widely respected in the NFL world and has shown through his 1st draft class that he might know what he's doing.  pair that with a ton of cap space, the jets future is bright.

19 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

to be completely honest, other than the chargers, isn't the jets job the most attractive?  potential for a great QB in Lawrence, tons of cap room and lots of draft capital.  i get bienemy liking the idea of going to coach watson - but that team is rather devoid of talent and doesn't have a 1st round pick.  the lions are a mess with an older, regressing QB that makes tons of money.  the jags are tough, though they also have tons of space and picks but what if they finally decide to move to london?  the bears are also a mess - no qb, poor skill positions.

i think the jets are going to lure a good coach here.  douglas is widely respected in the NFL world and has shown through his 1st draft class that he might know what he's doing.  pair that with a ton of cap space, the jets future is bright.

Ownership matters. I think the entire football world knows we have the worst owners in pro sports. And that may not be an exaggeration at this point. Yeah, the appeal of NYC is huge, the cap space is great and Lawrence (potentially) is a huge draw. Douglas? I highly doubt he factors in, one way or the other. In fact, if we give full power to the new head coach in order to entice him to take the HC gig, Douglas might not even be here. I think people have to be prepared for that possibility. I don't think we can lure people to take this job...the job of a (potentially) 0-16 team with terrible history and even worse ownership without giving full control of football operations. Lots of people here want Jim Harbaugh, but they also want to keep Douglas. That might not be realistic. Harbaugh would name his own GM in that scenario, maybe he keeps Douglas maybe he does not. If we give Douglas the power to choose his head coach, that might not get us the best man for the job. So, all options should be left open and on the table, imo.

Personally, if I were a potential head coach I would take the Bears job. Why? Because I know that the defensive side of the ball is covered already, and I just have to worry about rebuilding the offense from scratch. I suppose if ownership refuses to part ways with both Foles and Trubisky, I might not take that job. Or if they insist on keeping Ryan Pace as GM, I might not take that job. Otherwise, that looks like the best available (or likely available) gig this off-season. It is a proud franchise with great history and solid ownership. It ain't NY but it's Chicago, so not too shabby.

Houston is probably second, mostly because of Watson's presence. O'Brien virtually ruined that franchise singlehandedly but they now seem to have some life. Yeah, the lack of early draft picks hurts but that gives them that much more motivation to win now. For coaches, that can be appealing too.

The Chargers look good, too. Herbert provides a lot of hope there. The problem with LAC is similar to our problem...they are an irrelevant franchise in that market. How do they turn that around? Can they in LA? Are they moving yet again? It is not unlike Jacksonville in some ways, though the franchise QB is already in place.

Detroit is a total disaster, I agree with that. I think that gig is the least appealing if we ignore the ownership of both franchises.

So, overall, I have to disagree with how appealing our head coaching gig is. I think we are going to have to do some real convincing, big sales pitches and we probably have to shell out big money, too (not just for our potential new HC, but also in free agency).

0-16 (and subsequently Trevor Lawrence) won't guarantee us much. We will look better than what we currently look like, but still the worst team in the league until the other pieces come into place.

just one man's opinion.

5 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Boomer Esiason on his radio show this morning opens the door to Bill Cowher potentially being interested in the Jets job.  Thoughts on Bill being the HC next year?

He’s a terrific leader which is most important. Being able to build his staff would be the key. The HC needs to oversee everything. If he brings in very good OC/DC it’s a good hire. He would command respect immediately. Players would have fear again something we haven’t had since maybe Mangini/Herm. Sorry but the players walked all over Rex. He’s probably not my first choice but it’s nowhere near as bad of a choice as some will make it out to be. Everyone wants the hot new OC and that’s simply fools gold. Find the best leader and he’ll find the OC and DC. 

21 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Boomer Esiason on his radio show this morning opens the door to Bill Cowher potentially being interested in the Jets job.  Thoughts on Bill being the HC next year?

Guy hasnt coached in 14 years. So No thank you for me. It's a different NFL from when he last in the league. We'd have to get brilliant coordinators to even think about it. 

I am not saying hire Cower but he has still been heavily involved with the game. I am sure he is fully aware of the changes. However, it would take a coaching staff in tune with today’s game and I wonder if he can do that.

As far as being a leader and establishing an identity, yeah, he can do that. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Exactly, the hyperbole is insane. 

No one was saying they're the worst owners in sports just a couple years ago when they were losing a bunch of games under Todd Bowles. Bengals fans and the media were saying how terrible the owner was even when they were consistently making the playoffs though. They're not great by any means, but far from the worst in sports. Honestly their biggest problem is how long they stick with coaches and then stick coaches with GMs from previous regimes.

Edited by Malik