What are you reading? V1

Forge

On 7/31/2019 at 1:16 PM, carl_sjunior said:

Found the first three Gunslinger books in my girlfriend's bookcase. She had never read them, I had heard they were great.

Almost done with the first book, it's pretty confusing I guess, but it's probably being purposely vague. I definitely have heard it's the weak point of the series so I'm powering through. 

I've read the first 4 and am taking a little break to read some other Stephen King books that loosely tie into the world.  I enjoyed Gunslinger but the 3 books after are all great.  So far I'd rank them 4, 3, 2, 1 so at least for me each book was better than the last.  

On 8/2/2019 at 11:24 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Children of Earth and Sky. Great tale. Basically about Constantinople had been conquered for 25 years, and the emperor feels its time to push east. Book follows the lives of those on the other side and the effects of it.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

The Lions of Al-Rassan - 7.5/10

The Last Light Of The Sun - 8.5/10

Under Heaven - 9.5/10

River of Stars - 7.5/10

Children of Earth and Sky - 8/10

The last one - A Brightness Long Ago - (Story taking place in Renaissance Italy)

A Brightness Long Ago - About 350 pages of story. A decent buildup to the death of a main character somewhere in the middle. The rest was a bunch of buildups, that quickly fizzled out and amounted to nothing. A lot of filler, agenda trash. Became a chore to push through.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

The Lions of Al-Rassan - 7.5/10

The Last Light Of The Sun - 8.5/10

Under Heaven - 9.5/10

River of Stars - 7.5/10

Children of Earth and Sky - 8/10

A Brightness Long Ago - 4/10

And that wraps up the Guy Gavriel Kay series.

On 8/6/2019 at 6:19 AM, flyers0909 said:

I've read the first 4 and am taking a little break to read some other Stephen King books that loosely tie into the world.  I enjoyed Gunslinger but the 3 books after are all great.  So far I'd rank them 4, 3, 2, 1 so at least for me each book was better than the last.  

Wizard and Glass is my favorite, which is weird given that it's the one most outside of the main story. 

On 7/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

2 weeks ago he hosted a AMA on Reddit r/Books.

About 4 days after I downloaded the Riyria Revelations series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/cb1tfd/ask_me_anything_ama_says_new_york_times_and_usa/

Have you read Age of Legend? 

This is really shaping up into my favorite series, I have such an emotional attachment to the characters and I love all the little history tidbits/easter eggs/revelations I have about Riyria Revelations and Chronicles. Tim Gerrard Reynolds as the audiobook narrator is such a good get too, he's too good. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Have you read Age of Legend? 

This is really shaping up into my favorite series, I have such an emotional attachment to the characters and I love all the little history tidbits/easter eggs/revelations I have about Riyria Revelations and Chronicles. Tim Gerrard Reynolds as the audiobook narrator is such a good get too, he's too good. 

I havent read any of his books. Finished all GGKs books couple days ago. Am starting Riyria Rev today. Just looking over the map now to dive into his material.

Going to head to the library tomorrow before work and start in on my new reading list. I've still got about half the Jack Reacher novels left along with the first 4 books of the Ender's Game Saga (or whatever you wanna call it) but I'm looking to switch it up and get into a variety of topics/genres. This is what I've come up with so far...

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
Dune - Frank Herbert
Grass - Sheris Tepper
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Moneyball - Michael Lewis
Night Soldiers - Alan Furst
Red/Green/Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars Trilogy)
Solaris - Stanislaw Lem
Starship Troopers - Robert A Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A Heinlein
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. - Ron Chernow
The City & the City - China Mieville
The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson
The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 - Lawrence Wright
The Neon Rain - James Lee Burke
The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe
The Stranger in the Woods - Michael Finkel
Touching the Void - Joe Simpson

Might be a bit Sci-Fi heavy but I plan on rotating topics and continuing to find new books.

Ken Follett may be my new favorite author.

Last year i read The Pillars of the Earth.  One of the best books i've ever read in terms of pure storytelling.  Weaving together several unrelated people and plots into an overarching plot.  To top it all off, the story was about building a cathedral and it was damn compelling.  I actually had it on my Kindle for a year before i read it because it sounded so boring.  It was anything but.

Now i'm reading the second book in the Kingsbridge series - World Without End.  It's great for the same reasons as the first.  I haven't finished it yet (about halfway through), and i have a feeling there's going to be a good twist at some point in the later stages of the book.

What makes his books great is that none of the characters are white knights.  They are all deeply flawed, like real humans.  Some of them you really really really hate.  Others you want to like, but they do dumb things every now and then just to drive you nuts.

After i'm done with Kingsbridge, i may finally read some of his suspense/thriller/spy stuff (not usually my genre).