Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It isn't all doom and gloom.

Fields looks legit.   Johnson can play.  Montgomery can play.  Borom looks talented.   Nichols is good.  Kmet and Mooney are good.  Jenkins may be good.   

That is QB1, CB1, RB1, at least one OT, a DL, a TE, and a WR2.    Those are good building blocks.  OTs, CBs and QBs are some of hardest positions to find.  

Yes there are a ton of holes, but there is some base young talent to build off.

Now you don't have to draft QBs or spend in FA on them.  

Still there is a lot of doom and gloom.  LOL.  Look at this way.  We aren't the Texans.  

The difference is Houston's cap situation will be a lot better in the spring and they'll likely have two top 10 picks. That job could be a lot more desirable than the Bears' job

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

The difference is Houston's cap situation will be a lot better in the spring and they'll likely have two top 10 picks. That job could be a lot more desirable than the Bears' job

I would massively disagree with that...Houston is a dumpster fire even with two top 10 picks...no QB in this draft class comes close to Fields' talent either...Houston will be old Cleveland for years to come. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I am very much so on board with the idea that Nagy's scheme and not the player's talent is holding the offence back at this point.

I refuse to pas judgement on Nagy's scheme until he has all the perfect pieces in place and 5 or 6 years to work on it.

Joking obviously, but I'm glad we finally get to see Nagy out of the (somewhat justifiable at times) excuse that he's been held back by QB play. Well, now he's had 2 chances at his FA and had a great looking draftee fall into his lap.  We should know pretty soon if we don't already. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would massively disagree with that...Houston is a dumpster fire even with two top 10 picks...no QB in this draft class comes close to Fields' talent either...Houston will be old Cleveland for years to come. 

Not to pour onto this one, but why are we assuming Fields will be good?

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

It's not an assumption based on his college tape...can you see a single QB in next years draft with better tape than Fields?

Not really an apples to apples comparison, but I wasn't one of the Fields is an elite prospect people.  I had him as QB3.  I don't see him as a clearly superior prospect than any QB in the top of this year's class.

43 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think our cap situation is world ending.  And further everytime someone says that about a team; see MN, LA,  NO, SEA, Dallas and GB and others of years past - it turns out to be overblown and they are generally fine.   Generally teams keep everyone they really want.   You may lose a guy asking for a record deal, but often those guys get signed or traded for a bunch of picks.  I suspect the team really wanted those picks anyway and could have signed him if they would rather have the player.  

I mean there was all this talk about it being impossible for Dallas to sign all their top of line FAs and they did them all except for a CB.   That includes a QB1, a WR1, a pass rusher 1 and RB1 all around same time frame.   Those are some of highest paid positions in the league to sign as FAs and they did it.   

You can stress about a derth of young talent and having no viable QB, but I think stressing about cap issues has proven to be mostly wasted worrying over the years.    A team is 5 gillion over the cap and then all of a sudden isn't and their roster isn't all that radically changed.   

It looks like we have a QB.   That is reason alone for optimism.   It so much easier to build a roster with a QB in place.  A good QB makes everyone else look better than they are.

Texans QB situation sucks right now.   They have a QB that hates them, isn't playing and because of his personal life can't be traded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pace's draft issues

-He does not draft may elite players, true difference makers.

-He trades away picks too often and many times the moves have not worked out which makes the miss hurt even more.

-He never has enough picks, which leaves us needing to extend ourselves in free agency.

This is my biggest issue with Pace.  He's too extravagant when it comes to dealing away draft picks. 

I have no issue with him taking a chance to get a franchise QB in Fields because he was a very good prospect and we are desperate for a franchise QB, but the other trade ups never really worked out i.e. moving up one spot for Mitch, moving up a few spots for Floyd, trading away a 2nd for Anthony Miller and now Teven Jenkins...who we all have to hope doesn't have chronic back issues or else we're screwed with that one also. Jury still out on Trevis Gipson, who we've heard good things about but who coaches won't let play over Quinn who sucks.

The other thing I do not understand is how he has been managing the cap the past cpl years.  Bad contract after bad contract with the signings of EJax, Quinn, Trevethan, Graham, Dalton and then letting go a semi-elite player at a position of need in Kyle Fuller for absolutely nothing.  Also don't understand why he re-structured Graham's contract and essentially created more dead cap money next season.

Not re-signing one of our best offensive players in Allen Robinson, not keeping Floyd (who he traded up for) to sign Quinn and letting Kwiatkoski go to keep an overpaid and broken veteran in Trevethan.

This team needs to get younger and add depth pieces behind their rookie QB not older players with big contracts.

Honestly he should look to deal as many guys as he can before this year's trade deadline since we won't be competing for anything meaningful this season.

Pace has done a lot of good things throughout his tenure here but unless he hits on Fields and smartens up with his spending habits then he will need to be replaced.

Edited by topwop1

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think our cap situation is world ending.  And further everytime someone says that about a team; see MN, LA,  NO, SEA, Dallas and GB and others of years past - it turns out to be overblown and they are generally fine.   Generally teams keep everyone they really want.   You may lose a guy asking for a record deal, but often those guys get signed or traded for a bunch of picks.  I suspect the team really wanted those picks anyway and could have signed him if they would rather have the player.  

I mean there was all this talk about it being impossible for Dallas to sign all their top of line FAs and they did them all except for a CB.   That includes a QB1, a WR1, a pass rusher 1 and RB1 all around same time frame.   Those are some of highest paid positions in the league to sign as FAs and they did it.   

You can stress about a derth of young talent and having no viable QB, but I think stressing about cap issues has proven to be mostly wasted worrying over the years.    A team is 5 gillion over the cap and then all of a sudden isn't and their roster isn't all that radically changed.   

It looks like we have a QB.   That is reason alone for optimism.   It so much easier to build a roster with a QB in place.  A good QB makes everyone else look better than they are.

Texans QB situation sucks right now.   They have a QB that hates them, isn't playing and because of his personal life can't be traded.

I mean does LA stress about the Cap?

They are paying super star after super star top contracts and they don't care.

They don't even care about the draft anymore. 

New Orleans has stopped even pretending to care about cap in last 3 years.  We will just do contracts with 50 void years and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I mean does LA stress about the Cap?

They are paying super star after super star top contracts and they don't care.

They don't even care about the draft anymore. 

New Orleans has stopped even pretending to care about cap in last 3 years.  We will just do contracts with 50 void years and call it a day.

And I think on that everyone need to remember where Pace came from...he will feel he isn't doing the job right if they are not utterly tight to that cap ceiling and I would agree...make the most of it as long as down the road you will have enough outs to sign Fields long term if he does become the franchise.

• Like 1